Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for those in the know

Are WC mad for trading pick 3 to Carlton for 12 & 14 ?

What’s its value and would Saints 7 & 8 be a better match ( I don’t think they should trade it but just trying to get my head around this ?

Question for those in the know

Are WC mad for trading pick 3 to Carlton for 12 & 14 ?

What’s its value and would Saints 7 & 8 be a better match ( I don’t think they should trade it but just trying to get my head around this ?
They've genuinely lost the plot if they actually do it. Fingers crossed.

7+8 is overs in this draft I'd say.

All the angst on a potential deal!

I don’t care about pick 30 to 51 or whatever it is.
BUT
I’ll be pissed if we facilitate Tigers getting pick 23 and GC points at our expense.

If we’re the 3rd team to allow Rioli deal to proceed, well there’s a price that comes to us. I don’t care if it’s F3s from both of these teams.

10 and 18.
You want 30 to assist your other deals? Sure, but give us your F3 each. And yeah, we’ll take 51 too.

As deep as this draft is, any picks post pick 20 increase infinitely in the odds of that pick being a genuine success.

I’m not fussed with those sorts of extras coming or going.

It’s laughable how they can become sticking points. Then when the trade period begins teams can conjure up those extra picks at the drop of a hat.

Pick 11, 30 and 67

Or

Pick 11, 51 and 67

Who cares? All of those picks are outsiders to play meaningful football in 2025.

Pick 11 could contribute next year IMO. Not everyone in the top 20 will play games but most will. 11 from the top 20 from last year have played eight or more games - IMO that’s making a reasonable contribution across the season. This is supposed to be a strong draft too.

What you say about later picks is only true if we draft 18 year olds and even then you do see the odd 18 year old drafted reasonably late play finals in their first year. Port Adelaide had Logan Evans who’s 18 and was only drafted in the MSD this year play all three finals for them for example - he looks handy too btw.

Pick 11 could contribute next year IMO. Not everyone in the top 20 will play games but most will.

What you say about later picks is only true if we draft 18 year olds and even then you do see the odd 18 year old drafted reasonably late play finals in their first year. Port Adelaide had Logan Evans who’s 18 and was only drafted in the MSD this year play all three finals for them for example - he looks handy too btw.

Yes.
So basically you’ve just agreed with what I’ve said. You may jag someone between 20-60, but it’s more on luck, injuries etc. Otherwise if it was known they’d be pretty good, they’d have been drafted earlier!

For every Lawson Humphries there’s 10 Jack Deleans.

Does anyone reckon there is any chance we end up bringing in a random, last-minute recruit like the JOM deal a couple of years ago?

I think no, but it's also fun to guess and throw up random names.

So I guess I have a gut feeling we will land Marcus Bontempelli on the deadline.

Does anyone reckon there is any chance we end up bringing in a random, last-minute recruit like the JOM deal a couple of years ago?

So I guess I have a gut feeling we will land Marcus Bontempelli on the deadline.

I genuinely believed that at the start of trade period if we could’ve knocked Bolton deal out early we’d have thrown kitchen sink at Pickett knowing Melbourne were hungry for picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ralph from HS saying that's what the deal is looking like for Rioli. I'm guessing the club will ask for P51 knowing that pick will come in by 5-10 places through academy and F/s bids.

I think it is plausible.
We will want something earlier than 51. What I did read is that Gold Coast are wanting a pick in the 30’s back as part of the 6+23 trade for Rioli. So you could well be right. That values the trade at pick 2. I would hope we get a bit more. An F3 to help us trade up on draft night.

10,18,30 > Bolton, 51, F3

Perhaps another pick in the fourth round? 61, 70

Yes.
So basically you’ve just agreed with what I’ve said. You may jag someone between 20-60, but it’s more on luck, injuries etc. Otherwise if it was known they’d be pretty good, they’d have been drafted earlier!

For every Lawson Humphries there’s 10 Jack Deleans.

Lawson Humphries is 21 years old. He’s not even remotely comparable to Jack Delean.

FWIW with late picks drafting players more like Humphries than Delean should be our priority. We do well when we draft mature agers late in the National Draft (beyond pick 45). Only really Walker has worked from the 18 year olds since 2016. Mature ager wise we’ve drafted Ryan, Meek, Switkowski, Jones, Schultz, Bewley, Frederick and Wagner in that period (and Emmett too except earlier than Pick 45).

Lawson Humphries is 21 years old. He’s not even remotely comparable to Jack Delean.

FWIW with late picks drafting players more like Humphries than Delean should be our priority. We do well when we draft mature agers late in the National Draft (beyond pick 45). Only really Walker has worked from the 18 year olds since 2016. Mature ager wise we’ve drafted Ryan, Meek, Switkowski, Jones, Schultz, Bewley, Frederick and Wagner in that period (and Emmett too except earlier than Pick 45).

Come on down Isiah Winder

We knew about our interest in JOM by now I’m pretty sure. I’d give the chances as almost but not quite zero.

We know they'll compromise somewhere though. I'll settle for keeping 11 and finding someone as good at 32ish as 44ish
If we used 30 it would push back to around 33/34 I reckon. The fact is GC if they use it will get more value because it will likely only slide back to around 32 when used by GC. Whereas if we held the pick all of Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and Marshall would move ahead and only one pick (28 with Essendon) is being used = pick 33. Whereas 51 as you say will prob come into around 45.

If we could also get 61 that will come in a couple of spots before draft night and prob end up at around 53

So really in effect 33 > 45, 53 isn’t so bad.

I agree with an earlier comment that if our pick 30 facilitates the trade for Rioli then GC and send them F3 and they can pass that into us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back