Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

We will have the capital.
We can trade three years worth of draft picks.

Are you dim?

Your the dim one everyone one can trade 2 years in advance but having current year selections over a draft pick two years out who won’t impact until 3 years out is worth a lot less than a current year pick. Just because I believe WC having two picks next year over our one, gives them more chance to land Warner doesn’t mean you have to act like a F^<$wit, move on mate I think just agree to disagree

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It really depends on what Warner wants right.

He may be 'honourable' like Baker and want Sydney to be fairly compensated. If thats the case, then it will come down to how far each club is willing go to meet the 'fairly compensated' bar he's set.

He may be after money...we can't compete if he wants a pay day.

He may be after that elusive premiership. We can certainly offer him an opportunity to get one. But as we all know they are kinda hard to get to, and even harder to win.

The 2025 War for Warner will be an interesting watch.

My argument against that would be I don't think Collingwood fixed what they were worst at - key positions on both ends. Whereas Shai directly addresses our biggest weaknesses, Houston and Perryman kinda just make Collingwood amazing at things they're already good at.

Getting Perryman and Houston while having no current firsts is great business, don't get me wrong. But now they're gonna have to go bargain basement to fix their real issues.
Definitely
There’re looking to bring in membrey and tomilson as kpf and kpd support respectively.

Reminds me of something freo would’ve done when Brad Lloyd was list manager

I'm in two minds about West Coast. I can still see some level of reasoning behind their decisions but given their list profile and the fact they should be loading up pre-Tassie, it does scream desperation to buy a few wins and keep Reid invested. Being a middling side (at best) for the next couple of years while they squeeze the final bit of juice out of their 30+ brigade is fine...until you're left bottoming out in a series of compromised drafts.
For sure. No way Owies and Baker are relevant when they potentially become competitive. And they can bring some experience via delisted free agency or far cheaper trades while still snagging top players in the draft.

It's further confused by trading out Barrass (and I guess Darling).

We would handpass them Brodie for nix if we were actually on speaking terms with them.

It really depends on what Warner wants right.

He may be 'honourable' like Baker and want Sydney to be fairly compensated. If thats the case, then it will come down to how far each club is willing go to meet the 'fairly compensated' bar he's set.

He may be after money...we can't compete if he wants a pay day.

He may be after that elusive premiership. We can certainly offer him an opportunity to get one. But as we all know they are kinda hard to get to, and even harder to win.

The 2025 War for Warner will be an interesting watch.
He could have publicly asked to be traded this year but did not.

That indicates he is more likely to take an 'honourable' stance. Doesn't mean he won't nominate us, but it means if we don't have the trade capital he may not.

If I was Sydney I would ask for something like 1st + F1 + Erasmus kind of trade, assuming Erasmus has a good year. (Of course they will ask for Serong, Brayshaw or Young initially).

Depending how things pan out with the Darcy/Jackson combo and how Knobel progresses I would consider Darcy.

The 2 or even 3 likely late firsts wouldn't cut it.

That indicates he is more likely to take an 'honourable' stance. Doesn't mean he won't nominate us, but it means if we don't have the trade capital he may not.

If I was Sydney I would ask for something like 1st + F1 + Erasmus kind of trade, assuming Erasmus has a good year. (Of course they will ask for Serong, Brayshaw or Young initially).

Depending how things pan out with the Darcy/Jackson combo and how Knobel progresses I would consider Darcy.

The 2 or even 3 likely late firsts wouldn't cut it.
2 firsts will cut it unless Sydney can get in the ear of one of our players and get them to demand a trade too. We can add a player unless they want to go and why would you leave the premiers?

Geelong do it everytime with less.

Yeah exactly. It'll be incredibly interesting to see the paths those two teams take over the next 5 or so years.

We're also an interesting comparison. I'd say by and large the list management team have done well to assemble a squad which looks well-placed to contend for a decent period of time, bar a couple of missteps and setbacks. From purely a list talent perspective, Freo are a decent marker and it's taken the better part of a decade to get to this point. If you consistently **** up your picks or don't commit to refreshing the entire squad (e.g., Essendon) it can really hamstring a club.

So it would be truly, truly awful if West Coast continue to convince themselves that they can refresh their squad quickly and cheaply by topping up.
Yeah. Awful.
Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

Yeah exactly. It'll be incredibly interesting to see the paths those two teams take over the next 5 or so years.

We're also an interesting comparison. I'd say by and large the list management team have done well to assemble a squad which looks well-placed to contend for a decent period of time, bar a couple of missteps and setbacks. From purely a list talent perspective, Freo are a decent marker and it's taken the better part of a decade to get to this point. If you consistently **** up your picks or don't commit to refreshing the entire squad (e.g., Essendon) it can really hamstring a club.

So it would be truly, truly awful if West Coast continue to convince themselves that they can refresh their squad quickly and cheaply by topping up

Just a heads up - you spelled awesome wrong in that last paragraph

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea I did wonder during the season whether this was an emerging (head)case for them ,when it kinda first got raised how Reid apparently stated he wanted to play with Elliot yeo, as in quite strongly hint hint …when there was talk to may take the dollars on offer from other clubs…

Of course he signed on and was in all likelihood going to anyway but yeah….

And then Their trading during this period really does seem have a strong element of a “need” to be competitive fairly quickly along side rebuilding and I honestly think Reid’s stated desire (don’t think it’s a secret) of wanting to play in a competitive team is major component of that .

Reid’s probably been the biggest positive for that club in quite few years, ironically (awesomely really 😃) it appears at the same time he could well end up being a massive negative.

Want to see what happens to a club when they pivot virtually all decision making around one individual?

Just ask Essendon

Not really. It's a big logical leap to think someone makes a decision on signing a contract based on the trade capital that might be there in a years time with that delay.

In fact just the opposite. By asking for a trade when in contract gives the current club much more hand in the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back