Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised people still don't see the benefit of picking up mature age players from other clubs as depth. Having a senior AFL experienced player come in as depth rather than some kid that's not ready could be the difference.

Some clubs have more depth in some areas than others. That doesn't mean those players are useless, list spots can be tight, especially for clubs who are trying to rebuild on the run.

Even someone like Jack Martin that this board was so negative about. Are Geelong stupid for picking him up? Do we view them as picking up other clubs trash?

Picking up DFA is just a free hit and if Freo think those players are a better option than anything else we'll lets not hate on the idea.

Best case scenario we stay full fit next year, and those guys like Narkle or Carrol if we pick them up, just help Peel win another flag.

It depends how highly we rate the players, who they are replacing, or what pick we are using to get them.

I didn't see anything from Narkle last year, to suggest he is worth a spot in the best 22 of a top 6 side.

He was very underwhelming for Port in the finals. I would prefer Mature age players, from 2nd tier comps who can also be immediate depth.

It depends how highly we rate the players, who they are replacing, or what pick we are using to get them.

I didn't see anything from Narkle last year, to suggest he is worth a spot in the best 22 of a top 6 side.

He was very underwhelming for Port in the finals. I would prefer Mature age players, from 2nd tier comps who can also be immediate depth.
I’d prefer Jack Carroll to be honest but I’d imagine your point about picking up stand outs in the 2nd tier comps is exactly the reason Narkle is being looked at. When he has gone back to Port SANFL he has played very well.

Had a very good start to 2023 VFL season with Essendon VFL. Then immediately after being selected in the MSD landed in Adelaide and played with Port SANFL side and was immediately in the bests for a number of weeks before getting a call up for 3 late season games. Was emergency a number of times as well. This year played a lot of Sub. In the game that everyone remembers where he wasn’t sub (vs Sydney) he did play terribly.

I’d prefer Jack Carroll to be honest but I’d imagine your point about picking up stand outs in the 2nd tier comps is exactly the reason Narkle is being looked at. When he has gone back to Port SANFL he has played very well.

Had a very good start to 2023 VFL season with Essendon VFL. Then immediately after being selected in the MSD landed in Adelaide and played with Port SANFL side and was immediately in the bests for a number of weeks before getting a call up for 3 late season games. Was emergency a number of times as well. This year played a lot of Sub. In the game that everyone remembers where he wasn’t sub (vs Sydney) he did play terribly.

I was not advocating for Narkle. I don't see a position in our best 22 for him.

I feel he is a small inside mid, and he can't play the same role at AFL level.

As a forward pocket, he would be OK, but I don't think he played that role in the SANFL.

1729661031344.png

We aren't going to find a best 23 player that is being picked up for free unless we have an injury crisis. Why would that be an expectation?

I was not advocating for Narkle. I don't see a position in our best 22 for him.

I feel he is a small inside mid, and he can't play the same role at AFL level.

As a forward pocket, he would be OK, but I don't think he played that role in the SANFL.

View attachment 2150366
He played midfield. That round 19 game Port got spanked but Q Narkle dominated. If our recruiters were there watching that game that would have just about been enough to mark his name in permanent marker. The two goals were nice long set shots. One outside 50.

And yet you've advocated for Winder, and Narkle would be considered a better player and more AFL ready than Winder.

Nobody would be expecting him to be best 22. He'd be just what you are saying you want ... a mature age player dominating at WAFL level who can step in if needed due to a few injuries.

And yet you've advocated for Winder, and Narkle would be considered a better player and more AFL ready than Winder.

Nobody would be expecting him to be best 22. He'd be just what you are saying you want ... a mature age player dominating at WAFL level who can step in if needed due to a few injuries.
Narkle now been delisted twice, Winder only once. Checkmate atheist

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back