Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said I'm not fussed either way and have really no strong feelings about him to defend or berate the decision to get him. It'll be a year contract at most and the spot will either be filled with him with some AFL experience or a teenager taken at a low pick that's far from it (see Delean). It's not going to be long term and doubt it has much (if any) impact next year postive or negative.

I don’t think it’s between Narkle and an 18 year old tbh. We’re using the SSP to get him and media articles I’ve seen suggests we’re taking three picks in the draft regardless.

Think we would’ve had train ons (we trialled four list year and three were older) unless there was a clear stand out in the Rookie Draft (i.e. a Treacy or Barlow etc.). Sounds like we’re using the SSP for Narkle the way we did with Sharp as opposed to what we did with Voss.

If the squad is calling on a player between 30th and 44th on the list then we are in trouble and I'd rather that player was a ready to go AFL body than a teenager.

That's the argument for Narkle. If we can find a player who is the same age and experience as Narkle but 198cm and can either take a mark or spoil a mark somewhere between the arcs of the 50s then I'd prefer that player fill the spot, but I expect all of those players in the entire country are on an AFL list already.

Having to fall back on Draper to create a contest because we were two to three mature bodies ahead of him down, then on Voss to take a grab is the reason, and the only reason, we didn't play finals this year.

I don't think Narkle will fill such a key role, but again if we are calling on that end of our squad we are in big trouble and will want the experience and hardened bodies over the less experienced, less developed but arguably more talented teenagers.

I don’t think it’s between Narkle and an 18 year old tbh. We’re using the SSP to get him and media articles I’ve seen suggests we’re taking three picks in the draft regardless.

Think we would’ve had train ons (we trialled four list year and three were older) unless there was a clear stand out in the Rookie Draft (i.e. a Treacy or Barlow etc.). Sounds like we’re using the SSP for Narkle the way we did with Sharp as opposed to what we did with Voss.
I thought it was implied early on that we were getting him as DFA like McDonald. Someone said that we would have him by the end next week, and Garlick said something like "we'll look more into it in the next couple weeks."

Is Narkle better than Emmett is the question, Emmett played 13 games for Freo in 2024 despite clearly not being “best 22” he played when Sturt, Switta, Walters or Frederick were unavailable. Bolton replaces Walters in the starting team, but it would be nice to have better coverage than Emmett when the others aren’t able to play.

I said top 30.

Copied below from best 22 thread.

Aish, O'Driscoll, Simpson, Erasmus, Banfield, Johnson all Infront of him.

That is before pick 14 and pick 30

Fremantle
FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Clark Cox Chapman
C: Sharp Fyfe* O'Meara*
HF: Bolton Treacy Switkowski
FF: Sturt Amiss Frederick

Fol: Darcy Serong Brayshaw
Int: Wagner Jackson Walters* Young

Peel
FB: Draper Murphy Worner
HB: Aish McDonald [medium defender]
C: [wing] Erasmus* O'Driscoll*
HF: Emmett Voss Simpson
FF: Banfield [kpf] Delean

Fol: Reidy Brodie Johnson
Int: Davies Knobel Jones
The issue is we need players who are OOC in 2025. Right now the list of players OOC in 2025: Pearce, Brayshaw, Delean, Aish, Sharp, Worner, Reidy, Walters, Fyfe, Erasmus, McDonald. Of those 11, you can pen in Pearce and Brayshaw for contract extensions, and Sharp's in pretty firm pencil. Out of the other 8, likely the majority won't be around next year, but it'd be quite remarkable if less than 2 survive.

That's a deceptively small amount of space. Draper is getting moved from Cat B to senior list. If we get Chad Warner, that's likely 2 list spots coz Corey's getting the Thanasis Antetokounmpo spot. Alternately/Additionally, there may be some other player we trade in. Then you have the 3 draftee minimum, which we may end up going above because of our strong NGA contingent.

Thus, we'll have 2 somewhat countervailing goals. On one hand, when a draft is advertised as having such depth, you want to have a say in it like Geelong have done despite not possessing high picks. On the other, you want to be in a position where you can delist/retire 6 players next year before having to make truly hard calls. And draftees come with a 2-3 year contract if they're on the senior list or a 1 year contract where they're often graded on a curve if on the rookie list.

I thought it was implied early on that we were getting him as DFA like McDonald. Someone said that we would have him by the end next week, and Garlick said something like "we'll look more into it in the next couple weeks."

The actual quote was that we’d look into it in the ‘coming weeks’.

Anyone in media with half a clue has mentioned SSP.

I saw Barich saw we’d add him to the list in the next week but given DFA isn’t even open until November he’s clearly got no idea.

The actual quote was that we’d look into it in the ‘coming weeks’.

Anyone in media with half a clue has mentioned SSP.

I saw Barich saw we’d add him to the list in the next week but given DFA isn’t even open until November he’s clearly got no idea.
DFA period is from 1st Nov, which is Friday next week so he could technically be correct.

Either way neither really changes my opinion on getting him. I just really don't care all that much.

DFA period is from 1st Nov, which is Friday next week so he could technically be correct.

Either way neither really changes my opinion on getting him. I just really don't care all that much.

Oh he said add him to the rookie list so he’s definitely incorrect.

Senior list vs Rookie list is actually reasonably important as to stay at 36-6 next year (which we will) we’d need to delist two players rather than one to take the minimum three picks.

Drizzy is 100% best 22.

Big preseason and he will be play every game he's fit for.
I really hope NOD gets a good run at it, he has all the tools to really surprise a lot of people around the AFL. Same with Chappy, we’ve only seen glimpses of his best & fingers crossed they both hit next season at full steam off massive preseasons.

NOD will be like a new recruit if fully fit.

If the squad is calling on a player between 30th and 44th on the list then we are in trouble and I'd rather that player was a ready to go AFL body than a teenager.

That's the argument for Narkle. If we can find a player who is the same age and experience as Narkle but 198cm and can either take a mark or spoil a mark somewhere between the arcs of the 50s then I'd prefer that player fill the spot, but I expect all of those players in the entire country are on an AFL list already.

Having to fall back on Draper to create a contest because we were two to three mature bodies ahead of him down, then on Voss to take a grab is the reason, and the only reason, we didn't play finals this year.

I don't think Narkle will fill such a key role, but again if we are calling on that end of our squad we are in big trouble and will want the experience and hardened bodies over the less experienced, less developed but arguably more talented teenagers.
Literally every premiership team in the last 10 years has called on players from 30-44th. One average player taking up 1 spot will not hurt the team and no we're not in 'big trouble' if we call him up to fill a role.

Literally every premiership team in the last 10 years has called on players from 30-44th. One average player taking up 1 spot will not hurt the team and no we're not in 'big trouble' if we call him up to fill a role.

I don’t think anyone had over 30 players play 5+ games this year tbh. I think we’re in big trouble if we call up say four players at once beyond our best 30.

Best 30 is very important and after that it’s not so much. Other players will play on occasion and we’ll use around 36-38 players but it’d barely make any difference whether it’s Cooper Simpson or Quinton Narkle playing 3-4 games for us.

My biggest frustration though is I don’t think Narkle is anywhere near the best delisted player available. I think J.Prior and J.Carroll would’ve been way better and given us some cover in the wing position which is just as needed IMO.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back