List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I definitely showed my daughter an announcement about Butler re-signing because he's her favourite player.
Can't find it now though.
It was on Channel 9 news a couple of days back.
I posted on (can’t remember which thread).
Wood x3.
Butler x2.

It looks like that now but Ari is a big lump of a kid and will fill out substantially. Another couple of years in development will go a long way.

His unique skill is his exceptional long distribution kicking. I think it would be a mistake to not make that into a weapon. If you can kick over zones in modern footy you are going to be a really serious weapon.

That's why you interview and and recruit rather than go off a vibe from a distance. The guy who runs the club owns a recruiting business. Maybe he can organise some HR staff to find a new one.

I’m sure we must have interviewed Watters.

I’m sure the Demons must have interviewed Mark Neeld .

I’m sure the Blues must have interviewed Brendon Bolton.

Regardless of how good your process is it’s a very risky business going with a first time coach.

His unique skill is his exceptional long distribution kicking. I think it would be a mistake to not make that into a weapon. If you can kick over zones in modern footy you are going to be a really serious weapon.
Why Not Have Both Government Shutdown GIF

I watched this video a few months ago which disproves that, specifically the section "the blockbuster myth".

That's not what I got from it tbh. He said that in the early 90s the Saints drew good crowds when playing Collingwood. Pretty different era, and even if it was applicable it says nothing about "blockbusters" between two smaller clubs.

I think there's an argument that they should all be shared around so that it gives every club more visibility, but let's not pretend that Gold Coast vs Freo on Anzac Day would have the same profile as the current game.

Would trade Collard personally dontvlike his vibe. I hope I am wrong. If WCE/ Dockers came shopping with a 2nd rounder in this draft, I would take it.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm of the mind that all players are on the table to some extent. Loyalty is dead. It's all about maximising the market. If Collard - or any player - nets us something decent and it benefits the team via upgraded picks or decent trades, then have at it.
In saying that, if players are signing, then it is clearly mutually beneficial for both player and club...just as long as the romance is kept out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuild, restump , rework, re-wire.
All just words that mean improve.
And our list has improved.

Nowhere did I say give Ross as long as he wants. Ever.
But he’s had 2 seasons. Two.
And we had Richo for 6.

Of course he’ll be answerable.
Did you believe we were a list capable of challenging 2 years ago? I certainly didn’t, and I certainly don’t think we are now. But the improvement is there. And I see no reason why it won’t continue.

We’re all impatient. But you have to be realistic too.
This post contains so much sense that it should be stickied. Unfortunately, even though this should be the end of the argument, people will still find something they disagree with, but it is the basic truth of the matter.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought that the Suns robbed themselves of a genuine gun forward by playing Luko back. If memory serves, words like “superstar” and “generational” were tossed around pre-draft as a forward. What might have been hey. Probably doesn’t fit with us if he wants to play forward I suppose

The system just needs cleaning up so that clubs are paying fair value. The top up via points is getting fixed and it should make the system much more equitable.
Just do away with it all, zero, nothing. Finish last and truly get the best player not the best after all the concessions. Seriously gringo go and look at the playing lists it’s absolutely crazy, we’re selling off players to get pick 8 while Brisbane get arguably the best player in the draft to go with Harris Andrews, Hipwood, Ashcroft, Coleman, Fletcher, Brain and more. It’s not just them several teams are stacked with father son and academy stars we simply can’t compete with that.

It might be possible to come up with some type of scheme where over X period clubs who weren’t beneficiary's were compensated. The problem is it’s just more rubbish with magic formulas, no the only fair way is to scrap the lot.

I’m sure we must have interviewed Watters.

I’m sure the Demons must have interviewed Mark Neeld .

I’m sure the Blues must have interviewed Brendon Bolton.

Regardless of how good your process is it’s a very risky business going with a first time coach.

And people were shit scared of lancing Ratts. You take a gamble with every appointment but if you get good judges you can minimise risk. Lots of footy clubs get a few old players together to make the call and they aren't always the best recruiters.

And it sounds like Lance believes.

Maybe he has settled in and likes his life here.

Let’s hope.

Lance at WCE isnt an option and doesn't look like an option at Freo either

Freo will get Shai
WCE will grab Champion

Both are into Baker. One will get him. Freo are into Warner.

Both are into Picket but wont get it done this year.

I'm still of the belief we only drafted collard so that way we have an extra chip if Reid wants out of WCE

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think it was more a combination of perceived talent and belief we could hang onto him - he was high enough on our draft board that we would've taken him with our first pick had the dominoes fallen differently. After all we managed to hang onto Nas and pry academy product Henry out of Freo.

And just who would you hire who would ensure it doesn’t keep dragging out forever. Who would move us forward fast?

Which proven coach is available?

I’d suggest none.

And any unproven coach would be a more risky proposition than the incumbent.

There’s a feeling that there may eventually be a transition to Enright, and if that were to happen I suspect it will happen in an orderly fashion.

No need to burn the place down yet.
I like Enright, and clearly he has the potential to be an elite coach and develop talent. However, I wonder does he have that head coach ruthless streak ala Ross, Clarko etc.

Just do away with it all, zero, nothing. Finish last and truly get the best player not the best after all the concessions. Seriously gringo go and look at the playing lists it’s absolutely crazy, we’re selling off players to get pick 8 while Brisbane get arguably the best player in the draft to go with Harris Andrews, Hipwood, Ashcroft, Coleman, Fletcher, Brain and more. It’s not just them several teams are stacked with father son and academy stars we simply can’t compete with that.

It might be possible to come up with some type of scheme where over X period clubs who weren’t beneficiary's were compensated. The problem is it’s just more rubbish with magic formulas, no the only fair way is to scrap the lot.

It sucks but there is never going to be full equality regardless. You just need to get the system with the least loop holes possible. If we take Peckett, Lennox and Cole and they become stars and meanwhile Windhager and Owens become premiership players we will have got our free hits. Riewoldt could have three star sons and we will have made it impossible for us to get access.

Pick 1 is rarely the best player in any draft. In 2007 Dangerfield went at 10. He's probably the best in the first round of his draft followed by Rioli at 12, Rance at 18, Cotchin at 2 and maybe Mastens at 3, then Harry Taylor at 17.

Taylor Walker at 75 was probably close to the top 5 players in that draft and Kruiser was pick 1.

I'm of the mind that all players are on the table to some extent. Loyalty is dead. It's all about maximising the market. If Collard - or any player - nets us something decent and it benefits the team via upgraded picks or decent trades, then have at it.
In saying that, if players are signing, then it is clearly mutually beneficial for both player and club...just as long as the romance is kept out of it.
I've loved Goose, Max, Wakelin, Dal, Goddard, Billings, Acres etc etc. I'm learning not to be emotionally tied to anyone, love the club and wish for club success. Noone should be off the table if it gets us to a flag.

I like Enright, and clearly he has the potential to be an elite coach and develop talent. However, I wonder does he have that head coach ruthless streak ala Ross, Clarko etc.

Well to be fair I’m not sure it’s been established he even wants a head coach role.

His name is linked simply on the basis that he seems to be doing a brilliant job as a line coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back