List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to get things right. We kept Richo so long he's our third longest serving coach and Trout was kept for longer than most successful recruiters. We need to start making things work. 15 year rebuilds can become 20 year rebuilds quite quickly.

Richo never had a list because they had shit recruiters. Lyon is a good coach and better than Richo but a little bit better isn't what we want.

We have recently sacked our best recruiter since Bevo. It was meant to be challenge time next year. Now it's indefinite. We will see another whole generation go by at this rate.

The list isn't rated because we are seen as perennial losers because if we plays finals we shit the bed the next year.

Come on mate enough of the 'sky is falling' stuff. We were never going to be challening in 2025 with the list the way it was, if anyone believed that they were not in touch. Lyon is not perfect but the club have never been better adminstrated or run. How about we keep our 'powder dry' and see what the trade/draft periods bring and see where 2025 takes us.

We all have our moments of despair with the club and how they go about things, but this time around it feels like they might finally get things right.

Equal opportunity not Equal outcomes is all I’m after.

A draft without any compromises, no manipulation of the salary cap, anti tampering laws that are actually enforced, equitable access to marquee games.

With a salary cap and draft if we had the above then the rest is 100% on the clubs as it should be imo.

The system just needs cleaning up so that clubs are paying fair value. The top up via points is getting fixed and it should make the system much more equitable.

Membrey is likely to leave.

How does trading king help?
If it lands a FOS or Jagga Smith we get our gun midfielder target.

JL replaces King, we won't even feel it. Meanwhile we picked up one of the best midfielders in the draft and still have 2 top 10 picks.

With 2 picks left we get a crack at 1 more mid + potentially snag Trainor, the best tall in the draft. Our list is looking much more balanced with a hell of a lot more upside.

Was drafted in 2018, he has put together 1 season of 40 goals or more. He is still a stick figure and appears to have a crap tank.

His trade value is on the cusp of falling pretty dramatically if he doesn't put together a full season and kick 50+ goals. I would cash in now.

Good point - getting your best players to play for a few extra years is probably the best value way to improve the overall quality of the playing group.

On the flip side, early retirements are a killer, and we suffered our fair share of those. If guys like Roberton, Carlisle, Jack Steven, Koby Stevens and Armitage had longevity, they could very well have still been playing. Even Seb and Crouch have fizzled out way earlier than the current norm. It leaves a massive hole.
Yep - Pies essentially gained two pick 5s for Pendles and two pick 10s for Sidebottom.

Big tick to our player welfare people if this happens.
They've done an incredible job.
I’ve been concerned about the go home factor and seeing him at training and on game day doing lots of walking. Rapt that both club and player have committed in this way. Shows huge faith on both sides.

Interesting. I don’t know why they don’t play him in his favourite position in defence - where he excelled as a kid and fits his best traits. You don’t need every tall back to be a monster wrestler.
Suppose the fact he plays more like Jane then Tarzan has something to do with it.

Battle started as a forward, then went to wing and then became a solid dependable defender with a long clearing kick.Sound familiar.

Be perfect if he could/want play that role at Saints, he is not in a position to pick and choose anymore. Could be the making of him or drift of into Jack Watts territory.

Lukosius takes Membreys position if he leaves or even Wood in a couple of years. Wood likewise was played out of position was never a key position player. He is having a second life as a last line marking and goal kicking winger, that is Lukosius position as well.

But he starts as the 3rd tall in DEFENSE. That is all.

Potential steal at pick 24 and take his whole salary cap as well.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rebuild, restump , rework, re-wire.
All just words that mean improve.
And our list has improved.

Nowhere did I say give Ross as long as he wants. Ever.
But he’s had 2 seasons. Two.
And we had Richo for 6.

Of course he’ll be answerable.
Did you believe we were a list capable of challenging 2 years ago? I certainly didn’t, and I certainly don’t think we are now. But the improvement is there. And I see no reason why it won’t continue.

We’re all impatient. But you have to be realistic too.

I'd say the reason that we have improved is because our drafting improved. We failed to draft anywhere near an AFL standard for around 20 years.

We sacked Ratts for the exact same form line as Lyon. Bassat is not going to sack him to save face and he'll just keep excusing poor performance. It will probably take a board spill to oust him to be honest but having no KPIs is exactly why we haven't progressed since Lyon left.

I think our list is competitive. Perhaps a couple of years off a flag but there is enough there to be playing finals. He gets injury this year but it's his people in every role. If he keeps training services that don't get players on the park and his list managers get rid of too many senior players, that's on him. The competition has never been so even, staying fit, internal improvement/development and smart recruiting is how you bridge the gap quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say the reason that we have improved is because our drafting improved. We failed to draft anywhere near an AFL standard for around 20 years.

We sacked Ratts for the exact same form line as Lyon. Bassat is not going to sack him to save face and he'll just keep excusing poor performance. It will probably take a board spill to oust him to be honest but having no KPIs is exactly why we haven't progressed since Lyon left.

I think our list is competitive. Perhaps a couple of years off a flag but there is enough there to be playing finals. He gets injury this year but it's his people in every role. If he keeps training services that don't get players on the park and his list managers get rid of too many senior players, that's on him. The competition has never been so even, staying fit, internal improvement/development and smart recruiting is how you bridge the gap quickly.
Wish I had your optimisim with our list mate hahaha couple years off a flag far out.

Suppose the fact he plays more like Jane then Tarzan has something to do with it.
The way footy is played now I would think you can get away with one defender that sags off, intercepts and has great kicking skills. But there’s too much forward clog for a forward to get away with no body strength.

Anyway, if he wants to play forward, then scrub my interest! I assumed he wanted to go back.

I’ve been concerned about the go home factor and seeing him at training and on game day doing lots of walking. Rapt that both club and player have committed in this way. Shows huge faith on both sides.

Collard looked really engaged and enjoying the banter with the other players the morning I saw him training. Coming from where he has if we can get him to 100% of his potential, Lance and the club will deserve everything that comes there way. Its so heartening to see indigineous kids loving being at Moorabbin, its a sure sign the club are well run behind the scenes. I dont think Tony Brown and our indigineous welfare officer Auntie Katrina get enough kudos for the work they do with all these kids. Great stuff Sainters!

Last edited:
Just been told that the following will be announced tomorrow.
Butler 2 years
Sharman 2 years
Collard 3 years
Personally would have swapped Collard and Sharmans lengths of contracts.

Puts paid to him feeling pressured to go home.
Also a show of confidence after his brain snap.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m all for it.

In a hypothetical world. If you landed pick 8 + JL

For Battle + pick 24

They have hit a home run there.

It would definitely look very good. Actually don't need bulk kids coming in now. We need to taper the turn over and start honing. Part off me really rates players that are around that second round pick but Luko has the raw talent to be an absolute star. He's been a bit wasted so far.

Trading King (which won’t happen) would be his lowest market value he will have from now to when he’s 30.. The guy has Superstar potential, the last 2 years he hasn’t beeen healthy. When he is healthy we’ve seen what he’s capable of. So I suggest which I’m sure the club also believes, that we do everything we can do to get his body right. Not trade him or try develop him in other positions.

Sorry your statement re Port's list make up is quite incorrect -

Ollie Wines pick #4
Connor Rozee pick #6
Zak Butters pick #12
Horne-Francis pick #1
Josh Sinn pick #12
Myles Bergman pick #14
Mitch Georgiadis pick #18

Todd Marshall pick #16
Ryan Burton pick #19
Sam Pepper-Powel pick #18
Travis Boak pick #6 2006 draft

Half their list are previous top 20 picks and 4 are top 10, do yourself a favour and research your statements before posting them!
Quality drafting. Didn't they get Rozee and Butters in the same draft. Good footy dep too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back