List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie lists increase by an extra spot next season don’t they?
Do they? Haven't seen or heard anything about that. I know that the length of time you can rookie list a player is set to increase from 3 to 5 years, but not sure about number of rookies.

BTW, unconnected question: What is Zaine Cordy's contract status?

Do they? Haven't seen or heard anything about that. I know that the length of time you can rookie list a player is set to increase from 3 to 5 years, but not sure about number of rookies.

Contracted for 2025

Might have confused myself then.

How TF did Gulden go pick 32 and Warner at 39, can we have some of that please?
Gulden was Swans academy, so he was always ending up at Sydney

Warner's weaknesses before the draft were his speed and kick penetration, which I'd say are some of his strengths now given that he is 24th in the league for average metres gained per match.

Phenomenal development after getting drafted

The definition of a dog’s breakfast.

Intriguing! Charlie Dixon left a massive hole this year, is Lucoscious capable of reviving his potential back home and injecting some star power into this workman-like team? I'd like to see it.
Not sure what their plans are but maybe they'll be using him down back to replace Houston?

Gulden was Swans academy, so he was always ending up at Sydney

Warner's weaknesses before the draft were his speed and kick penetration, which I'd say are some of his strengths now given that he is 24th in the league for average metres gained per match.

Phenomenal development after getting drafted
Phenomenal cover up before getting drafted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should start contending in 2026 when the core are approaching 23-25

Higgins Clark Dow 27, Dow King Sharman Stocker will be 26, Henry Byrnes 25, Nas Windy Owens 23, Hammer Keeler 22, Pou 21 (but he plays beyond his years). Others will be 21ish (Wilson, Hugo, Arie, Hastie etc)

Add in someone like LDU/Brayshaw etc another in the 25-28 bracket. Plus the senior leaders. That's a good spread of players by age to start contending

I agree.
Although including guys like dow, clark, stocker, keeler as 'core' parts of a flag contending team 2 years from now is quite the stretch.

If guys like that are part of our core in 2 years- then they have either:

A. All had a major, massive out of this world improvement that rarely happens mid career; or
B. We don't actually have a flag contending team.

I agree with you that we could have a flag contending team in 2-3 years from now (while wilkie, sincs, steele, roma are still in their prime).
But I disagree with you saying that we can get that via a slow and steady approach.

To do it, we would need to roll the dice and take risks- for instance, try and get a brayshaw or ldu for 2 first rounders this year as "pre agents".
(because as a small vic club- we have 0% chance of getting guys at that level as free agents).

Without taking risks like that- we won't get a truly flag contending side before wilkie and co stop being A grade.

Do you know when Gags finished up at St Kilda?
You might want to have a look at the list he walked into and the list when he left a few years later.

I knew I bookmarked this for a reason, here's the timeline:

Before he left- he re-signed battle in Aug 2022 to the contract which ends this year.
(When he was cemented as a clear best 22 player)

2023 (ie the first year of joshs current contract which gags signed) is the year that is used to determine whether josh is in the top 25% of our player payments or not.

Before he left in 2022- gags was in charge of setting our 2023 contract structure (ie who on paper is in our top 25% paid players).

Here we are in 2024- and at the start of this year, josh is given unrestricted free agent status.

Why?
Because of the contract gags signed him to in Aug 22 and how gags set our contracts up for 2023 before he left in december 2022.

would you like to revist your statement?

Too long didn't read?

Gags left in dec 22- before he did that, he re-signed battle for 2 years AND set the contract payments structure for the whole team in 2023.

Why does this matter?
Because in January 2024, battle was given unrestricted free agent status based on not being in our top 25% paid players in 2023.

How did that happen?
Our mate gags set it up that way before he left in dec 2022.

Prefer both Sharman and Caminiti myself.

Amarty would be 2MP type bad in anything less than a top 4 team.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He would still be good to have on the list having cost nothing. He is now 25 yo which is a real void in our list profile, and is a capable 2nd ruckman. He is not perfect but he is a player with talent we over looked when we shouldnt have ala Hayden McLean. Sharman, Caminiti and even Keeler have a future, but it would be nice to have more talent on the list than we have.

The 2MP comment is a huge call, given that Amartey/McLean are much more mobile players than Wright.

Last edited:
I agree.
Although including guys like dow, clark, stocker, keeler as 'core' parts of a flag contending team 2 years from now is quite the stretch.

If guys like that are part of our core in 2 years- then they have either:

A. All had a major, massive out of this world improvement that rarely happens mid career; or
B. We don't actually have a flag contending team.

I agree with you that we could have a flag contending team in 2-3 years from now (while wilkie, sincs, steele, roma are still in their prime).
But I disagree with you saying that we can get that via a slow and steady approach.

To do it, we would need to roll the dice and take risks- for instance, try and get a brayshaw or ldu for 2 first rounders this year as "pre agents".
(because as a small vic club- we have 0% chance of getting guys at that level as free agents).

Without taking risks like that- we won't get a truly flag contending side before wilkie and co stop being A grade.
We don't need a 23-man side of A-graders to win a premiership

I've listed, what, 19 players who CAN be core players and thats excluding the veterans and incoming players over next 2 years. Not all the guys I listed have to be stars or even be in the team. What separates premiership teams from finals teams is the quality of role players, and I think Clark & Stocker and maybe Keeler at least have a role to play in the future

King, Nas, Owens, Pou, Wilson etc will be the 'stars', but they need to be supported by a good core of role players. Guys like Frampton, Markov, Cox, Sidebottom, WHE all role players from last year's premiership team. Jkolo, Bews, Close, Rohan, Stanley from 2022

And I never said we should use a slow and steady approach. I just think we shouldn't force it like we did in 2020. We're clearly stocking up on young kids before we go hard at FA and trade from next year onwards. We are setting ourselves up for sustained success, not a 3-year sugar-hit

Last edited:
He would still be good to have on the list having cost nothing. He is now 25 yo which is a real void in our list profile, and is a capable 2nd ruckman. He is not perfect but he is a player with talent we over looked when we shouldnt have ala Hayden McLean. Sharman, Caminiti and even Keeler have a future, but it would be nice to have more talent on the list than we have.

The 2MP comment is a huge call, given that Amartey/McLean are much more mobile players than Wright.

Don't think we need an ordinary forward. Not a reason we select him because he is a certain age.
Sharman and Caminiti would walk into his spot at Sydney.
That's my opinion. Probably will kick 6 in the granny now.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Slow down Tommy. Your changing your turn quickly

“I think in Dan Houston's case, he's got four years remaining on a deal … so Port have set a high price of two first rounders.

“But if you get offered pick seven or eight, you're not going to ask for a second 1st rounder.

“But if you get offered a pick in the teens, you probably want two of them.

“Either way, North Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda … there’s a number of clubs keen on Houston and he will end up in Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back