List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL players don't operate like that.
5 year contract might be for 5 million.
You might end up with 2 million, 1 million, 1 million, 500 000, 500 000.
Its NOT a pay cut, you actually end up better off in theory.
It’s been widely reported that only 3 clubs didn’t factor in CBA increases.

Stkilda Essendon and I believe west coast. Each club to a different degree.

The cap stands to increase by a further 3m from this year until the end of 27/28 (can’t remember which year.)

If Battle has walked away on a lesser deal and not factored in any increase - then he needs to sack his manager.

900 × 5 = 4,500
750 × 1 = 750

Total over 6 = 5,250

Average = 875 per season

That is just a simple forward load

If it's over 5 it's a band 1.

If he takes 500k in the 6th, he would get 950k a year first 5.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We will absolutely succeed at convincing the AFL to abolish Father Son just before the Riewoldt boys have the three greatest seasons in u18s history.
To be honest, I actually don't care if it happens. A big IF anyway.
( don't all come at me at once.)

I don't want to wait another 10+ years for a flag - I'd rather other teams with F/S picks get a little more disadvantaged from now to even things up a little already.

Still can't quite believe that after a whole season of footy, 30 seconds was the difference between 5 & 6 and 7 & 8.
Yeah, I know you were pretty pissed off, but it is what it is. I am fairly optimistic and you can take your form from the previous year into the next. We finished off well 6-2 in the last two months of footy.

The end of that Carlton game was the strangest reaction I ever had. I actually laughed out loud understanding all the implications.
Every single person would have preferred 5 & 6 over 7 & 8 but we can't dwell on it and who goes at 5 and 6. It is an even draft and I reckon there will be a slider and 8 (if we get it) will be maybe a bit left field.

Hawthorns offer is front loaded. Band 1 compensation is based on the first 5 years

Good news.

And I also read a Hawks ITK a while back who mentioned that their deal was front loaded.

I makes sense that they did front end load his deal, as they have a lot of young players who will be up for bigger deals in a few years.

Has it been reported it’s front loaded?

Tony74 is a true and long time ITK from Saintsational, very rarely wrong. Another who straight out said it had been confirmed to him was Yipper (I know Yipper and his contacts) it was Band 1.

Neither of these two shitpost like the rest of us, they only post when they want to convey information (usually straight from the club).
They aren't employed by the AFL (as far as I am aware) so not on the committee, so it is not 100% certain we get band 1 and we wont know until Friday, however they are pretty good sources.

Does it mean they get things wrong? Of course, but rarely.

Tony74 is a true and long time ITK from Saintsational, very rarely wrong. Another who straight out said it had been confirmed to him was Yipper (I know Yipper and his contacts) it was Band 1.

Neither of these two shitpost like the rest of us, they only post when they want to convey information (usually straight from the club).
They aren't employed by the AFL (as far as I am aware) so not on the committee, so it is not 100% certain we get band 1 and we wont know until Friday, however they are pretty good sources.

Does it mean they get things wrong? Of course, but rarely.
At the risk of rehashing a well worn and well done argument I have absolutely no doubt that the club believes the compo will be band 1 thats based on partial information and hope.

The AFL will decide at its own whims what it wants to give as compo and by all the whispers and confirmations the club didnt in any way to really force the AFLs hand. We dangled Battle and he ended up signing for less than we offered him (and it seems like probably under the GUARANTEED band 1 number).

I hope its band 1 and it seems thats more likely than not but make no mistake, if we dont get it, we can only blame ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the risk of rehashing a well worn and well done argument I have absolutely no doubt that the club believes the compo will be band 1 thats based on partial information and hope.

The AFL will decide at its own whims what it wants to give as compo and by all the whispers and confirmations the club didnt in any way to really force the AFLs hand. We dangled Battle and he ended up signing for less than we offered him (and it seems like probably under the GUARANTEED band 1 number).

I hope its band 1 and it seems thats more likely than not but make no mistake, if we dont get it, we can only blame ourselves.
For trying to get back into the top end of the draft?

For trying to get back into the top end of the draft?
No, i dont have any issue with what we TRIED to do (although i personally would have preferred we just retained Battle).

If you follow the whole thing from January and the many many discussions about it here the execution of the plan has been pretty badly fumbled on a few occasions.

Yeah we dont know what is the actual contract. We offered 950k over 5. If Hawthorn offered 875 x 6 it is 875k average. However if what has been reported is correct and they front loaded they could do 950 x 5 and 500k on the sixth year and the average is still 875k over six.

Apparently the band is worked out over 5 so if it was my example (very simplistic I know, it would be worked out in much more detail but for illustrative purposes) it would be 950 over 5 and band 1.

But its as you say, who the hell knows. Kane and Dillon might have the shits at Bassatt for hammering them about NGA and FS and I wouldn't be surprised if they were vindictive even if the contract qualified for band 1.

As I have said all along, anything less than pick 8 is a total disaster and the club needs to be held to account.

Yeah, I know you were pretty pissed off, but it is what it is. I am fairly optimistic and you can take your form from the previous year into the next. We finished off well 6-2 in the last two months of footy.

The end of that Carlton game was the strangest reaction I ever had. I actually laughed out loud understanding all the implications.
Every single person would have preferred 5 & 6 over 7 & 8 but we can't dwell on it and who goes at 5 and 6. It is an even draft and I reckon there will be a slider and 8 (if we get it) will be maybe a bit left field.
Very true. It's a harsh reality check with the build up for months on end since the bye expecting something then not getting it. I haven't been in a great place this year, and I guess it shows from time to time.

The pessimist in me thinks the idea that form transfers to the following season is just propaganda to make us feel better.

It's uncontrollable, so silly rehashing it really. We'll still get a very promising player but I guarantee that noone on the forum was talking about Xavier Lindsay when it looked like we had 4 or 5.

Looking at Richmond with what promises to be a draft bounty, then the Northern clubs with never ending academy first rounders, not to mention yet another gun top 3 father son going to a successful club this year and also next year - its just a merry go round of us being a nearly club it feels.

When not much is going right in the world, it would've been nice to be able to turn to something as fickle as sport and get some enjoyment out of it. Anyway, there my two cents.

No, i dont have any issue with what we TRIED to do (although i personally would have preferred we just retained Battle).

If you follow the whole thing from January and the many many discussions about it here the execution of the plan has been pretty badly fumbled on a few occasions.
I am actually happy we didn't retain Battle if what it was going to take was offering him even more than the $950K we supposedly did offer him. I would consider losing Battle for band 2 compensation as still a better option than paying Battle $1M+ a year for multiple years. Those numbers for a good ordinary player are just ludicrous and should not have even been considered by the club.

I am actually happy we didn't retain Battle if what it was going to take was offering him even more than the $950K we supposedly did offer him. I would consider losing Battle for band 2 compensation as still a better option than paying Battle $1M+ a year for multiple years. Those numbers for a good ordinary player are just ludicrous and should not have even been considered by the club.
Unfortunately, again, the full story isnt that simple.

It looks really likely that a $900 offer very early in the season without dangling him (read as, reading his personal values and type of person and player he is) would have secured him, now thats all speculation but given were weve landed it seems to have some basis in reality.

As it stands now, anything but band 1 compo is a complete list management failure.

Very true. It's a harsh reality check with the build up for months on end since the bye expecting something then not getting it. I haven't been in a great place this year, and I guess it shows from time to time.

When not much is going right in the world, it would've been nice to be able to turn to something as fickle as sport and get some enjoyment out of it. Anyway, there my two cents.
This is a good post to re emphasise that none of us know what is going on in others lives. I actually re read some of your posts from that time and was surprised how upset you were considering I value your posts and the reports you do from training.
I understand a bit more now. Chin up buddy, keep fighting the good fight. Hope to bump into you at preseason or training during the year. We can collude on our reports and lead all these nuffies on here astray on how is going well and who isn't :D ;);)

Yeah we dont know what is the actual contract. We offered 950k over 5. If Hawthorn offered 875 x 6 it is 875k average. However if what has been reported is correct and they front loaded they could do 950 x 5 and 500k on the sixth year and the average is still 875k over six.

Apparently the band is worked out over 5 so if it was my example (very simplistic I know, it would be worked out in much more detail but for illustrative purposes) it would be 950 over 5 and band 1.

But its as you say, who the hell knows. Kane and Dillon might have the shits at Bassatt for hammering them about NGA and FS and I wouldn't be surprised if they were vindictive even if the contract qualified for band 1.

As I have said all along, anything less than pick 8 is a total disaster and the club needs to be held to account.
The lack of transparency on the compo and general incompetence from Kane + Dillion is why I'm not getting attached to the idea of pick 8 until it is announced. It might be tin hat stuff but head office is a place that makes things up as they go and being on the wrong side of them could mean they fall on the side of band 2 instead of band 1.

This place will go nuts on Friday if we end up with 19 for Battle.

A few will definitely require some therapy.
I recommend kava, a natural sedative which also causes the brain to perceive random guitar strumming as a timeless melody of love and loss and love again.

Now available in instant form...as easy as making a cup of muddy water.

Twomey - I expect soldo to get to St Kilda

jYOf7E3.gif

Unfortunately, again, the full story isnt that simple.

It looks really likely that a $900 offer very early in the season without dangling him (read as, reading his personal values and type of person and player he is) would have secured him, now thats all speculation but given were weve landed it seems to have some basis in reality.

As it stands now, anything but band 1 compo is a complete list management failure.
I still don't agree even on $900K, Hawthorn are paying him too much as well. If you are paying your B and C grade players elite money then you are forced to pay your truly elite players even more. A player like Battle, a good solid citizen you pay a good solid citizen's wage not more particularly as these wages discussions are heavily played out in the public eye.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back