List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetically speaking what would happen if Hawks offered band 2 money and Battle chose to go there but we had a band 1 offer on the table?

In regard to Dan Houston, great player but it's not ideal to send out high picks when our team is still building. They'll likely ask for NWM anyway so hopefully it's all just a rumour.

Got a good trade for you saints trade King to North and get back future 2nd rounder we give you LDU as I’m led to believe he wants out as Collingwood Carlton and Essendon are circling him and we get Saints future 1st.
You get LDU and a future 2nd you keep this year 1st and 2nd pick.
North get another forward and future 1st pick.
As much as you think you will get LDU for nothing next year the big clubs will swoop you.
A win win for both our clubs if all parties agree to it.
We're not trading King he's going to sign a long term deal.

Got a good trade for you saints trade King to North and get back future 2nd rounder we give you LDU as I’m led to believe he wants out as Collingwood Carlton and Essendon are circling him and we get Saints future 1st.
As much as you think you will get LDU for nothing next year the big clubs will swoop you.
So youre allowing us to keep this years first if we give you King . Youre a standup guy!,
Ffs.

Keep Battle, get 1 of Parker or Mcrae and we are a solid chance of finals next year.
Solid chance of making finals, eh. Our best footy is very very good, but that’s been the same story since every season since 2020.

We need more than occasional streaks of excellent footy. We need consistency, not a situation where every odd season we achieve 5-8 on the ladder. How often is it that a team wins from outside the top 4?

By all means, I hope we make finals next year, but I doubt we will have any true sustained success or consistency until we address the gaping holes in our list, and build around our young core.

For these reasons, idm if Battle stays or goes, he’s young enough, compatible enough and good enough to be a positive contributor (for the right price), but two top 10 picks? Well that would be right in line with our direction, smack bang in the middle of what we need to be doing, IMO. And it’s a good draft for our needs too.

Six one, half dozen the other, no matter the outcome (except Battle leaves for band 2 which seems more unlikely now) it’ll be able to be construed as a win either way, so on goes the waiting game.

As for Parker or McCrae, I’d be happy with either, assuming little to no draft capital is spent. But they’ll have to earn their spot. And I don’t think either are likely to come to the Saints.

King for LDU is an interesting idea.
As far as the pick swaps go....not so sure. But you're right that it helps with our midfield troubles and your forward troubles.

Hard to see the Roos finish too high next year, it will happen eventually but probably not after a 3 win season. So I guess your 2nd should be pretty early and hopefully our 1st reasonably late. Would be later with LDU, that's for sure. I just think that if King does a Kennedy (WC) and has a long, influential career we might regret it. If he doesn't (keeps getting injured, doesn't sort out his goalkicking routine, keeps wrestling instead of leading) it will have been a decent deal.

Either way, not sure the club will part with King unless it's an overwhelming offer, and pretty sure King wants to stay a Saint despite people saying he looked sad etc.

I doubt we'd give up our future first for something like that when I think about it, even with a 2nd back.

We have a guy even better than King.
Cooper Sharman would be a guaranteed goal kicker for you every week, and can also play in defence or on the wing if needed.
Straight swap for LDU should be pretty right.

I would do that.

Solid chance of making finals, eh. Our best footy is very very good, but that’s been the same story since every season since 2020.

We need more than occasional streaks of excellent footy. We need consistency, not a situation where every odd season we achieve 5-8 on the ladder. How often is it that a team wins from outside the top 4?

By all means, I hope we make finals next year, but I doubt we will have any true sustained success or consistency until we address the gaping holes in our list, and build around our young core.

For these reasons, idm if Battle stays or goes, he’s young enough, compatible enough and good enough to be a positive contributor (for the right price), but two top 10 picks? Well that would be right in line with our direction, smack bang in the middle of what we need to be doing, IMO. And it’s a good draft for our needs too.

Six one, half dozen the other, no matter the outcome (except Battle leaves for band 2 which seems more unlikely now) it’ll be able to be construed as a win either way, so on goes the waiting game.

As for Parker or McCrae, I’d be happy with either, assuming little to no draft capital is spent. But they’ll have to earn their spot. And I don’t think either are likely to come to the Saints.
Parker or Macrae- I can see people’s desire for experience in the mids, but they’re not making much difference to our ladder position.

King >>>> LDU

I would do that.
Bruh why?

You're trading Max on the back of two injury interrupted seasons. Prior to these two seasons he looked absolutely elite.

Before he hurt his knee against the giants this year, his first three games were all 15+ touches, bulk marks and snags.

He came back last year after Dougal ripped his arm off and nearly averaged 3 goals a game.

In his third full season he had just under 100 shots at goal and was one of the best contested marks in the game.

Key forward over mid every single time.

If Paddy McCartin had of worked out we’d soon be looking for a gun forward for life after Paddy.
Maybe he could have mentored Max.
Or
Would we have kept running with Mccartin and Tom Lee and not selected Max?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruh why?

You're trading Max on the back of two injury interrupted seasons. Prior to these two seasons he looked absolutely elite.

Before he hurt his knee against the giants this year, his first three games were all 15+ touches, bulk marks and snags.

He came back last year after Dougal ripped his arm off and nearly averaged 3 goals a game.

In his third full season he had just under 100 shots at goal and was one of the best contested marks in the game.

Out of curiosity, if you go back to King's draft, what pick would you take King with?
Would you still take him ahead of the midfielders Rozee, Butters, Walsh?

LDU was pick 4 in the previous draft, for the record.

Honestly if we come out of this trade period with the below as a bare minimum, give us an A+

• First round compo for Battle
  • Draft two mids with the two picks
  • Add Parker on the cheap
  • Add Mcrae on the cheap

Steele gets immediate assistance.
The young guys get two new experienced guys from good teams to learn from.
Two draftees get added to the core 25 and under brigade

Keep dangling cash in front of LDU and any other FA midfielder that comes on the market

DON'T get Houston
DON'T get Trac

Hypothetically speaking what would happen if Hawks offered band 2 money and Battle chose to go there but we had a band 1 offer on the table?

In regard to Dan Houston, great player but it's not ideal to send out high picks when our team is still building. They'll likely ask for NWM anyway so hopefully it's all just a rumour.
I think we'd appeal on the basis that the compo is inadequate.

Will depend a bit on what Barrass costs the Hawks.

That should be the minimum compo we'd get in the unlikely situation you've described.

Bruh why?

It also ignores that LDU is a free-agent next year and that has to factor into it.
If Paddy McCartin had of worked out we’d soon be looking for a gun forward for life after Paddy.
Maybe he could have mentored Max.
Or
Would we have kept running with Mccartin and Tom Lee and not selected Max?
McCartin was still playing for us when we selected King remember so we already know thats a yes.

Its a massive shame McCartin had his issues. A 195/100kg full forward would be a fantastic forward addition to have right now.

It also ignores that LDU is a free-agent next year and that has to factor into it.

McCartin was still playing for us when we selected King remember so we already know thats a yes.

Its a massive shame McCartin had his issues. A 195/100kg full forward would be a fantastic forward addition to have right now.
The trouble with the free agent factor is that history shows they don't end up coming to us anyway.

Out of curiosity, if you go back to King's draft, what pick would you take King with?

If we're talking about who I think will end up having the best careers?

Butters
Max
Rankine
Walsh
Rozee
Ben

If we're talking about output to this stage
Butters
Walsh
Rozee
Max
Rankine
Ben

Still think people under appreciate what Max has done for us so far. Could be some recency bias in there considering what's happened the last two years.

But he's been the #1 option since he started, in a team that's had at best a c+ midfield.

Ben has Witts hitting it down to Miller, Anderson, Rowell and now Flanders and he really hasn't fared that much better.

Walsh is elite but very vanilla compared to Butters.

People are going to say Rankine's been better to this point because of recency bias but Max literally walked into the club and was one of the best contested marks in the game. People forget how good he is.

Parker or Macrae- I can see people’s desire for experience in the mids, but they’re not making much difference to our ladder position.

Of cause they would lost 6 or so games 10 points & under they would have helped win half of those gives you another 3 or 4 wins that’s like 5th on the ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The trouble with the free agent factor is that history shows they don't end up coming to us anyway.
If he is willing to entertain a trade in the first place he would entertain a free agency move.

Getting him over the line is the issue overall, not really the method in which he moves clubs.

Meanwhile, it would be in both clubs better interest to wait anyway. North are not going to be rocketing up the ladder next year and first round compo will be much better then any future pick we will have.

Honestly if we come out of this trade period with the below as a bare minimum, give us an A+

• First round compo for Battle
  • Draft two mids with the two picks
  • Add Parker on the cheap
  • Add Mcrae on the cheap

Steele gets immediate assistance.
The young guys get two new experienced guys from good teams to learn from.
Two draftees get added to the core 25 and under brigade

Keep dangling cash in front of LDU and any other FA midfielder that comes on the market

DON'T get Houston
DON'T get Trac
Our late form makes me think an older mid isn't the priority it once was. Jones, Clark and Dow showed they just need a decent run and they can be useful.

Peatling or the like is a better option than a stopgap, unless said stopgap comes as a salary dump.
Parker has a contract and stands a better chance of another premiership if he stays in Sydney.
Mcray will be looking for the same if he leaves.

Tomlinson makes sense if Batts leaves. But we don't have a big excess to throw at short term players.

Bruh why?

At some point you have to look at the body of evidence and ask the question why we play better when he is not in the team? It's not a complete coincidence.

I think we could start with looking at the fact he was the third worst player in the comp this year at being outmarked in a one on one contest. That is an atrocious stat from your number 1 key forward.

Have watched him for years stand there trying to wrestle blokes and he sucks at it. Seems to genuinely lack forward nous. Sharman is 10 times smarter.

Whenever people talk about King being a gun all they reference is his ability to get shots on goal. Whilst I can agree that is the most important thing for your full forward he offers nothing outside that. Would be one of the worst forwards in the comp for defensive pressure. Routinely the full back absolutely dominates games and proved a ton of rebound. Not good.

Don't disagree he is talented but with so many holes in his game I don't seem him ever being anywhere close to elite. Not enough tricks to be consistent. As others have mentioned before, might reach Danaher levels but will be a frustrating player for years to come.

LDU would make us far better than losing King who we already seem to play better without.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back