List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

My preference is that the arse doesnā€™t fall out of the list and weā€™re left in a north or hawthorn predicament where the list lacks senior presence.

IF we were to move on from Steele, Ross, Membrey and Crouch in this off we would have to try and bring in a combination of older players on the cheap (trade wise) to offset that.
TBH we've pretty much moved on from Crouch and Ross anyway. We haven't seen the former the whole season and Ross not much lately either - there's been no senior presence from them. And neither of those, obviously, will get us any trade value.

Membrey would be a cheapish 1 year option to retain I would assume, and I'd be happy to keep him, still a reliable goal kicker.

So that leaves Steele. An interesting conundrum, as he WOULD get us some decent currency but with such a thin midfield already he's maybe a less than ideal option to let go.

From what I hear it ain't the club who loves the Giants.

I think Jack is a loyal kid and he was one of the first kids from Canberra taken by the Giants, a club he would have been developed by from an early age. The Giants put a lot of effort into their academy regions and are growing a strong following in Canberra, where all of Jack's family are based. Believe it or not Sydney if you can afford it is a great place to live and a lot of the kids love the semi tropical beach life style.

Again I would hate to see him leave, but I could understand him wanting to return to the Giants. They are also probably a club who we could arrange a reasonable trade deal with. There only issue might be their salary cap as Jack would be on a reasonable $$$, but perhaps they as a club are in a better position now than what they have been.

What's funny?
That people donā€™t believe he is available on here.

Even the poster who claimed in the interview the Dougal said his management have put off talks to work his way into a better deal.

I just listened to the interview in the media thread and Dougal says no talks and they will happen later.

Nothing about trying to earn a better deal

If we are intending on trading/fa out senior leaders battle/steele/howard/ross/membrey, there is no way we could even think about taking Clayton Oliver on. We would literally have no senior leadership core to be able to handle his issues, and could cause big implications on the way our youth gain standards. He is a huge no for me, whatever the circumstance.
What are Wilkie Sinclair Marshall Hill Wood?

Peatling and 14 for Steele seems underwhelming for mine
Agree. A future first as well and we throw back our second rounder from this year might make both clubs feel as though theyā€™re won the trade, which is how most of these deals actually get agreed to.

Loves them

I remember watching the gws v saints game and I think it was Tom Greene being interviewed saying he wanted Steele back at GWS, I thought at the time that was extremely unusual.
Could we do a swap for Finn Callaghan?

They also have a surplus of very good small forwards

Not that many now that Bedford and Daniels are starting to play decent midfield minutes. What they do have is a plethora of quality midfielders which is something we need. Although a player like Callan Ward 34yo must be getting closer to retirement.

šŸ˜‚

ST KILDA

The fact that the Saints registered interest in Hugh McCluggage and Luke Davies-Uniacke should indicate their list direction this off-season. Touted as a potential suitor for Dan Houston, they are hunting something they havenā€™t had in some time; a true game-changer between the arcs. The issue for the Saints is there prospectively wonā€™t be any attainable matchwinners this year. The Saints were also floated as a potential destination for impending GWS free agent Nick Haynes, who has also been linked with Carlton, if they lose intercepting defender Josh Battle to Hawthorn this off-season. Dougal Howard is also out of contract and feels gettable, while Mason Wood and Tim Membrey are unrestricted free agent.

šŸ˜‚

ST KILDA

The fact that the Saints registered interest in Hugh McCluggage and Luke Davies-Uniacke should indicate their list direction this off-season. Touted as a potential suitor for Dan Houston, they are hunting something they havenā€™t had in some time; a true game-changer between the arcs. The issue for the Saints is there prospectively wonā€™t be any attainable matchwinners this year. The Saints were also floated as a potential destination for impending GWS free agent Nick Haynes, who has also been linked with Carlton, if they lose intercepting defender Josh Battle to Hawthorn this off-season. Dougal Howard is also out of contract and feels gettable, while Mason Wood and Tim Membrey are unrestricted free agent.

We dont need Houston, his best position is HBF surely we have that position covered for the forseeible future. Midfielders x ?, key position and a ruckman are hopefully at the top of our shopping list.

We dont need Houston, his best position is HBF surely we have that position covered for the forseeible future. Midfielders x ?, key position and a ruckman are surely at the top of an our shopping list.
Wouldnā€™t imagine we are.

But nothing would surprise me in all honesty.

Wouldnā€™t imagine we are.

But nothing would surprise me in all honesty.

It would be a dumb move IMO as Port would want too much for Houston given the position he plays. Unless of course it involved a player swap perhaps someone who has been at the club previously. Again not that I think we can afford to lose Dougal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even the poster who claimed in the interview the Dougal said his management have put off talks to work his way into a better deal.

I just listened to the interview in the media thread and Dougal says no talks and they will happen later.

Yeah my bad, he must be trying to lower his value to drum up more rival interests.

Yeah but what's funny?

šŸ˜‚

ST KILDA

Nothing on Steele?

Nothing on Steele?
Just weird to have this floating around 2 weeks ago.

Especially after such speculation the week before last trade period. Donā€™t you think?

Jack Steele

ā€œLast year there was more than whispers, a number of clubs and players managers told me that the Saints were open to a conversation around Steele.ā€

ā€œā€™If you want Jack Steele, give us your best dealā€™, that sort of stuff. It never happened. I just think it would be a massive call to trade their captain.

ā€œI wonder whether a club will try to pry him out this year. Thereā€™s no indication that the Saints want to trade him or that he wants to go, but that doesnā€™t mean clubs wonā€™t have a crack.ā€

What are Wilkie Sinclair Marshall Hill Wood?
All great players in their own rights, but can't categorically say any of these lads are great leaders. Wilkie looks to have decent qualities, Sinclair seems very reserved and let's his on field stuff do the talking. Marshall is more loveable larrikin, then someone who is going to pull someone into line. Hill and wood look like excellent people to nurture the young kids, but not to baby sit a 27 year old star who has some serious issues.

So a few hours after Tom Morris floated his idea of trading Steele, Ross takes the time in his press conference to praise the load Steele has taken on this year and mentions how desperate we are to bring in support for him. Then that night, Steele does a rare instagram post of photos from club with hearts. A mate of his comments 'I wonder who this is aimed at" to which Steele laughs in response.

He's not going anywhere. Despite what the self proclaimed insider wants to believe, the club aren't complete morons to trade our only proven, senior midfielder and captain.

Just weird to have this floating around 2 weeks ago.

Especially after such speculation the week before last trade period. Donā€™t you think?

Jack Steele

ā€œLast year there was more than whispers, a number of clubs and players managers told me that the Saints were open to a conversation around Steele.ā€

ā€œā€™If you want Jack Steele, give us your best dealā€™, that sort of stuff. It never happened. I just think it would be a massive call to trade their captain.

ā€œI wonder whether a club will try to pry him out this year. Thereā€™s no indication that the Saints want to trade him or that he wants to go, but that doesnā€™t mean clubs wonā€™t have a crack.ā€
It's a bullshit dart throw by Morris who it is widely known is hated at the club, he doesn't have a clue. The club doesn't have to come out and categorically shut down this stuff, Ross openly praised him and said we'll build around him.

Or the club have put it off - like they do for all players they arenā€™t sold on for the following season & beyond because they are eyeing off other talent
For all the talk about how the club has been floating the idea of trading Howard for 12 months the only proof of this are the vaguest possible "what ifs" by various media organizations all quoting each other but none of them substantiating any specific club, value or trade possibilities.

Howard may indeed be thinking of leaving for a higher placed club or for more money but so far not a single thing spoken by the club or Howard nor the actions of the club have indicated anything like this. Considering he is the no1 key defender and the difficulties of finding other decent ones (the reason why we picked up Cordy whose adequate at best it does not make sense from a list perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back