List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I'm repetitive, but I just think Battle is brave, honest, skilled, hardworking, extroverted, versatile AND has a great surname!

I've got a feeling the media will make a massive deal of the Captain Battle premiership era of Hawthorn while we're constantly consoling ourselves that there was nothing we could have done and that it was the only way to get that extra top 10 draft pick on the next Jack Billings or Jade Gresham.

Battle is incredibly underrated, partly because he doesn't play for a big vic club and also because he goes about his business without much fanfare. I don't envy the list management team because if we lose him and then don't nail the compo pick while he goes on to star for Hawthorn history won't look back on it kindly.

Battle is incredibly underrated, partly because he doesn't play for a big vic club and also because he goes about his business without much fanfare. I don't envy the list management team because if we lose him and then don't nail the compo pick while he goes on to star for Hawthorn history won't look back on it kindly.

Nick Dal Santo, Brendon Goddard......

Do people understand how free agency works? We have offered Battle a significant contract, which he hasn’t accepted.

He’s an unrestricted free agent, so if he accepts Hawthorns offer he is gone. There’s so much language about having to keep him or we must keep him, it’s not our decision at all.

Do people understand how free agency works? We have offered Battle a significant contract, which he hasn’t accepted.

He’s an unrestricted free agent, so if he accepts Hawthorns offer he is gone. There’s so much language about having to keep him or we must keep him, it’s not our decision at all.

I mean, I think we're on the same page? I think it's fair to say him signing with Hawthorn is us "losing him" as we were unable to convince him to stay. I'm aware that it is his choice haha.

My point is that it's tough either way for the LM team. If we convince him to stay and we continue to meander over the coming seasons while the compo pick we would've had turns out to be a star mid for another club, we will be judged.

And vice versa if he leaves and we draft Jack Billings again, even though I have far more faith in our current talent department.

Yes
Yes we do
No where in the post you quoted does it look like jwint43 doesn't understand the free agency situation of battle.

Yes I see a very McEvoy esque career ahead of him at the Hawks...

We'll try and underrate it but he'll go down as a gun player for them and probably rack up >100 games too which means we'll be shitty in about 18-21 years as well lol.

We'll try and underrate it but he'll go down as a gun player for them and probably rack up >100 games too which means we'll be shitty in about 18-21 years as well lol.
Maybe, but we butchered the McEvoy trader. We are gonna get overs for battle and be able to get something we need more. This draft could set us up for the future.

If replacing A graders with A graders was easy, every team would be running around with 22 A graders.

Like someone said above there are no guarantees in this game. and that includes Battle to Hawthorn.

The Hawks are riding a massive wave of newfound confidence and enthusiasm. It’s as if they’ve tapped into a wellspring of momentum, with each victory fueling their belief that they can achieve unexpected glory. They're playing with a fearless energy, seizing every opportunity as if they’re destined for greatness.

They had a period earlier in the season where they won three games by less than a kick and kick started their rise. If we had of won three of our close games (including the one against the Hawks) then we’re right back in the mix.

But things often change when a unhealthy dose of expectation gets thrown in and non-performance by both the team and individual players gets met with vitriolic criticism. Then footy becomes a grind again.

I’m not as sold on the Hawks as others may be. I think that the ladder position isn’t lying and that they’re about where we thought we were end of last year.

Definitely a team on the rise, but not in the same sphere as Brisbane and Sydney in my opinion. Certainly not a team to be feared.

Wont underrate Battle, never have or will.

He will be a much better FA band 1 than MacKay, or even Frawley.
Would love him to stay and have to make the best of a bad situation.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wont underrate Battle, never have or will.

He will be a much better FA band 1 than MacKay, or even Frawley.
Would love him to stay and have to make the best of a bad situation.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree entirely. This is where the eras of Pelican and Trout and Richo have a compound effect. Not only do they stuff us in the now and the life of those players, but makes it harder to attract players like Hawthorn can because we’re seen (rightly) as perennially 💩.

Looking at Dons last night, they are in a much bigger world of pain than we are. Their BF site talks about poor player development...sound familiar. ..
Their disposal hand balls to players feet kicks missing targets like we were doing but we seem to be moving past it later in this season.

Our fwd and back lines are better and we need to improve the midfield which is what we seem to be moving towards. If Battle nets us pick 6 which is likely we just have to hope that we nail them. Looking at our last 3 years drafting to Don's suggest we are doing something right.

Caddy v Wilson (Wilson on surface better as he has played more)
Tsatas v Pou...(No contest)
Hobbs v NWM (SERIOUSLY)

Don's have got no return from Heralded Perkins Cox and Reid and 8,9,10 we got Alison...enough said.

With Tassie coming in there are going to be some very interesting list calls and culls with teams between 7 and 15 on the ladder, especially as this looks like being a deep even draft by all accounts.

Will be some bargains to be had and from our drafting calls the last 4 years we seem to be getting it more right than wrong.....well better than Ess at least....thats not saying much though.

If we can snare a Peatling, Powell, Parker and keep pick 5 and 6 then we will be doing okay.

Also computer says no...to trading for Houston, prefer the two picks in this draft.

Go Saints we are on the right track...which cannot be said about the Don's.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree entirely. This is where the eras of Pelican and Trout and Richo have a compound effect. Not only do they stuff us in the now and the life of those players, but makes it harder to attract players like Hawthorn can because we’re seen (rightly) as perennially .

Liam Henry had a choice between Hawthorn & St Kilda.

Battle wouldn’t be going to Hawthorn if they weren’t offering him a couple of hundred grand a year over what he is probably worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 new pages of Battle banter in less than a week, love it. So if it's picks 4 and 5 would we entertain trading 1 or both picks for a quality mid? Midfield needs a pretty immediate change.

Looking at Dons last night, they are in a much bigger world of pain than we are. Their BF site talks about poor player development...sound familiar. ..
Their disposal hand balls to players feet kicks missing targets like we were doing but we seem to be moving past it later in this season.

Our fwd and back lines are better and we need to improve the midfield which is what we seem to be moving towards. If Battle nets us pick 6 which is likely we just have to hope that we nail them. Looking at our last 3 years drafting to Don's suggest we are doing something right.

Caddy v Wilson (Wilson on surface better as he has played more)
Tsatas v Pou...(No contest)
Hobbs v NWM (SERIOUSLY)

Don's have got no return from Heralded Perkins Cox and Reid and 8,9,10 we got Alison...enough said.

With Tassie coming in there are going to be some very interesting list calls and culls with teams between 7 and 15 on the ladder, especially as this looks like being a deep even draft by all accounts.

Will be some bargains to be had and from our drafting calls the last 4 years we seem to be getting it more right than wrong.....well better than Ess at least....thats not saying much though.

If we can snare a Peatling, Powell, Parker and keep pick 5 and 6 then we will be doing okay.

Also computer says no...to trading for Houston, prefer the two picks in this draft.

Go Saints we are on the right track...which cannot be said about the Don's.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Caddy does look top shelf. Question is whether he becomes a quality pinch hitter type if you can forgive the phrase vs being a Curnow replicate. He looks to have played almost as well at AFL level vs Under 18 level.

200.gif

What if, it’s say, just saying mind, (and I’m definitely not across the rules and salary cap spaces etc.) out of the blue, a team which is not unknown to pull surprise ambushes, and I’m referring to Sydney, who are a bit light in for defence, offered Josh Battle a huge package, trumping the Hawks offer, then negotiated with us to get Paton in with the package?

How would that work out?

(Battle telling us he bleeds dollars, not red, white and black, might give us a cause for brazenness)

20 new pages of Battle banter in less than a week, love it. So if it's picks 4 and 5 would we entertain trading 1 or both picks for a quality mid? Midfield needs a pretty immediate change.

This is me daydreaming but if we could get Macrea for cheap and Parker as a salary dump, I would not consider Steele for a trade and take the two best mids at our picks.

Steele, Macrea, Parker as the spearhead mids, then Clark, Pou Windy, then we have the real developers Wilson, Garcia plus the two young draftees.

Gives us a couple of years of a decent midfield transitioning to the young ones in 206/27.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back