List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were going into another rebuild I’m not sure SOS and Lyon were the right choice. It’s looking like another ham fisted effort at employing the wrong people. Ironic that the boss owns a recruiting business

If we were going into another rebuild I’m not sure SOS and Lyon were the right choice. It’s looking like another ham fisted effort at employing the wrong people. Ironic that the boss owns a recruiting business

I don't even think it's a rebuild. Dougal is a minor cog (in my opinion) in the success / failure of the team overall. I think you can find someone that is 85% as good for 40% of the cost.

No weve dangled him out the ****ing window mate.

You really just need to commit to the fact were getting band 1 and thats what we ALWAYS wanted cause youve just confirmed it.

of course it does they offered a deal knowing hawks would offer more

Josh and his management knew damm well he was being used for picks

He was nothing but pushed

The dumb arses got to clever for themselves and have ----ed up

No, your "source", told you, he would be looked at to gain picks.

If anything a contract offer post that is irrelevant, why the **** wouldnt you test the market after that. If they told you it would be idiotic to think Battle wouldnt have heard about it.

Ive actually been pretty strong that we werent pushing him out but if what you are saying is accurate (and to be clear i put **** all weight on your "source") then there is no other way to describe it.

Theyd all wanna *ing PRAY we get band 1 otherwise this is a monumental * up.

Your saints goggles must be completely block out.

No weve dangled him out the ****ing window mate.

You really just need to commit to the fact were getting band 1 and thats what we ALWAYS wanted cause youve just confirmed it.
I’m going to explain this once. Mowman was the one I had the PM with. He can vouch for it’s authenticity - you absolute spineless campaigner. Because it’s ****ing impossible I’d know what’s going on if I didn’t have genuine ****ing sources.

I spoke with someone who would very well know wtf is going on and shared with Mow in the middle of December 2023 that the club wanted more first round picks. (Directly or indirectly from players going)

They were going to consider Battle & Howard. Battle was apparently asking for significantly more money than what we were talking about with him at that point.

Now in August 2024. They BOTH seem to be going. So the above seems 1000% correct.

The one unaccounted for ****ing flaw in the entire forced him out scenario - is that we went to him with a good contract offer that was made public in March. We thought he was signing.

So whilst there was intention to explore his value. He wasn’t forced out. I still maintain that he isn’t being forced out. But I also don’t deny that at a certain point. They will probably value band 1 higher to their needs. Which is ultimately down to the fact we have missed finals. I can’t imagine there. Would be a consideration if we were playing September.

Now, if Mow says Battle is upset. I believe him. He would know.

Yup, as long as compensation is appropriate, i'll be OK with that. I have zero attachments to most of the list, which most definitely includes Dougal. I think he is an OK player, but I will lose as little sleep with his departure as I did with Billings and Gresham.
With Battle going, I'd argue Dougal would be a bigger loss than Billings and Gresham were...

I don't even think it's a rebuild. Dougal is a minor cog (in my opinion) in the success / failure of the team overall. I think you can find someone that is 85% as good for 40% of the cost.

Where?

I’m going to explain this once. Mowman was the one I had the PM with. He can vouch for it’s authenticity - you absolute spineless campaigner. Because it’s ****ing impossible I’d know what’s going on if I didn’t have genuine ****ing sources.

I spoke with someone who would very well know wtf is going on and shared with Mow in the middle of December 2023 that the club wanted more first round picks. (Directly or indirectly from players going)

They were going to consider Battle & Howard. Battle was apparently asking for significantly more money than what we were talking about with him at that point.

Now in August 2024. They BOTH seem to be going. So the above seems 1000% correct.

The one unaccounted for ****ing flaw in the entire forced him out scenario - is that we went to him with a good contract offer that was made public in March. We thought he was signing.

So whilst there was intention to explore his value. He wasn’t forced out. I still maintain that he isn’t being forced out. But I also don’t deny that at a certain point. They will probably value band 1 higher to their needs. Which is ultimately down to the fact we have missed finals. I can’t imagine there. Would be a consideration if we were playing September.

Now, if Mow says Battle is upset. I believe him. He would know.
Id have a modicum of respect for you and your source if you just ****ing admitted weve pushed him out.

Your whole story is centered around us wanting to get in high picks at the expense of Battle but you reckon weve tiptoed some imaginary line youve made up around being respectful and sincere in our dealings.

Weve pushed him out for a draft pick, youve admitted as such. If we get band 1 then youve been right all along (which id note, ive never actually said youre wrong, just that no one can guarantee it right now, which you yourself admit) but how you can even try to mount an argument that that isnt pushing him out is just ****ing sad, smooth brain shit.

Id have a modicum of respect for you and your source if you just ****ing admitted weve pushed him out.

Your whole story is centered around us wanting to get in high picks at the expense of Battle but you reckon weve tiptoed some imaginary line youve made up around being respectful and sincere in our dealings.

Weve pushed him out for a draft pick, youve admitted as such. If we get band 1 then youve been right all along (which id note, ive never actually said youre wrong, just that no one can guarantee it right now, which you yourself admit) but how you can even try to mount an argument that that isnt pushing him out is just ****ing sad, smooth brain shit.

I don't see how this is not the obvious conclusion. There's also nothing wrong with pushing a player out if the compensation is right. Shows a bit of ruthlessness, which we've lacked for a long time.

I don't see how this is not the obvious conclusion. There's also nothing wrong with pushing a player out if the compensation is right. Shows a bit of ruthlessness, which we've lacked for a long time.
I dont personally like it but yeh, if weve done it and we get the outcome so be it.

My issue is Stav fluffing the club up as some beacon of righteousness that we absolutely DIDNT push him out when by his own admission we planned this in ****ing December.

why would he have to admit it if he didn't believe it was the case?

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its the trade thread i will post on this if i feel like it
You may have misinterpreted what I meant. I was in full agreeance with you and meant it was the definitive word on the Battle issue.
Happy to see you back posting and not meant to stifle that in any way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Battle fails to generate Band 1, Lethlean and Gallagher will both become even more reviled than they currently are.

Dumb and Dumber (On football talent/ list management) sadly maintained the poor standard of Trout and Bains before them and all have been a blight on our club.
Gallagher left at the end of 2022.
There's a clueless obsession about him on here.

why would he have to admit it if he didn't believe it was the case?

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He doesnt have to, i dont expect him to. I just dont respect his position on the matter cause its idiotic.

Pretty sure he wont care, just as i dont care what he thinks.

Mans a shill for the club, if we wind up with pick 30 for Battle hell pivot to "its a genius move in an even draft" as he always does.

He doesnt have to, i dont expect him to. I just dont respect his position on the matter cause its idiotic.

Pretty sure he wont care, just as i dont care what he thinks.

Mans a shill for the club, if we wind up with pick 30 for Battle hell pivot to "its a genius move in an even draft" as he always does.
nothing wrong with being an optimist. at the end of the day you can only work with what you have

Sounds increasingly like another Saints shitshow. Shopping around a player (or players if Steele has been as well) is not really a savvy move especially if one is a UFA.

I suppose we will just have to wait for another 6 weeks to know what we get, I don't think I will be able to argue the same point over and over for the next six weeks.

Whichever way it goes, very sad to see an excellent player leave like Battle, and only band 1 will give anything like a quantum of solace.

nothing wrong with being an optimist. at the end of the day you can only work with what you have
Plenty wrong with being an optimist if it means you have to lie and refuse to accept and learn from mistakes.

If we get band 1 then I’m happy to back that they’ve done what’s best for the club (my personal opinion that retaining battle would have been better doesn’t matter) but let’s just be honest about intent and execution.

If Stavs telling the truth we decided to get rid of him last year, saying we didn’t push him is just ridiculous.

One of the state leagues, or another club. This is what the recruiting team get paid for in theory.
Really dont think it is that easy.

The only elite line we have is the backline. We have virtually allowed one of the best rebound/intercept markers to walk, or at least forced his hand (he was offered a large contract, but the trust may have been broken by then) and the only key tall we have is being shopped?

I mean really Howard has easily had his best season for us, we lose (or likely lose) Battle and we do to Howard what was reportedly done to Battle?

Sounds quite a curious way to list manage to me.

Plenty wrong with being an optimist if it means you have to lie and refuse to accept and learn from mistakes.

If we get band 1 then I’m happy to back that they’ve done what’s best for the club (my personal opinion that retaining battle would have been better doesn’t matter) but let’s just be honest about intent and execution.

If Stavs telling the truth we decided to get rid of him last year, saying we didn’t push him is just ridiculous.
We didn’t decide anything. We would explore every option. There was plenty of variables you aren’t considering.

Because you are a stupid moron.

Put yourself in Battle's shoes. Another Employer offer's you more money, to do the exact same job, under the same organisation (AFL). What would you do?

Now the Saints have a few options. I would assume the club know the compensation they get. Based on the offer Josh has. If that is Band 1 after our first Pick likely Pick 6, 7, or 8. Or end of of first rd.

So the club either is happy with the compo we get and let Battle go to the Hawks.

Or we match or better the Hawks offer. Then it is upto Josh to decide if it is purely based on money, or whether he thinks the Hawks are better placed then us to win a flag. Let's see what happens!

Wouldn't be irrelevant if list management stuffed it up with the treatment of a very respected player of the club both with members and playing group

Remember they were happy to push him out because they thought Arie could fill his spot ? What a balls up if they have got it wrong and dont get pick 7

Make no mistake Battle has been pushed

I got that impression on Wednesday also.

I can understand peoples concerns re the List Management group but they havent done too much wrong in their time they have been together at the club. Perhaps its time to keep our powder dry and see what transpires from this years trade etc.

There seems to be a lot of worked up individuals on what is nothing but speculation.

Why do that?

His offer from us will be at least $900K or more x 6 years which will ensure we get Band 1 compo if Hawthorn match and he chooses to leave.

North got Band 1 for MacKay last year which was 6 x $850K.

Given the TPP has increased by $1.5M this year (and by $4M extra in total by 2027) we can easily offer more than that so I'm completely confident its Band 1 as long as he doesn't leave for less money than we offer.

We can offer 1.5 million a year.
That unfortunately won't be the thing that determines the compensation.
We are reliant on what offer he accepts if he goes to Hawthorn.

Until then I'll hold fire. Hopefully it is Band 1.

So are we saying it wasn't discussed back January that we wanted to get back into the top end of this draft and SOS & Gubby decided it would be Battle that would be used for this, well before the season had even started

Is the reason Battle changed his mind after the Pies game that he and his management found out/got pissed when they got wind of what was going on, maybe the same reason Steele is pissed because the 2 incompetent fools that are SOS & Gubby tried to flog off the Captain of the club without even speaking to him ?

If Battle leaves for anything less then pick 7 the fools from list management should be marched out the front door

So everyone blaming Battle or wondering why he is leaving there is always 2 sides of a story

Gubby is a dinosaur and SOS seems to upset every place works
If that's the case then that's an absolute embarrassment for the club.

We should have offered overs so if he left it would trigger band one.

It will all come out in the wash I guess but if he triggers band two it's a howler. Reality is keeping him would have been the best option but that ship seems to have sailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back