List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Let him rot at Melbourne then.

If he wants out then he has to be prepared to go to a club with the trade capital.
These extra long contracts are trouble.
4/5 max as far as I’m concerned.
Probably the one and only thing I’ve agreed with Cornes about.
I’d be more than happy for the Dees to continue having Petracca and Oliver causing discontent and eating up salary cap at the club.

Probably the one and only thing I’ve agree with Cornes about.
I’d be more than happy for the Dees to continue having Petracca and Oliver causing discontent a d earring up salary cap at the club.
Dead right , these stupid long contracts will kill clubs - I would be surprised if they are both playing at any club in 5 yrs time and Olivers contract ends in 2030.

AFL needs to bring in restrictions for contracts - max 4 yr deals.
Need be up the salary but cut down the years.

Probably the one and only thing I’ve agree with Cornes about.
I’d be more than happy for the Dees to continue having Petracca and Oliver causing discontent a d earring up salary cap at the club.
Dead right , these stupid long contracts will kill clubs - I would be surprised if they are both playing at any club in 5 yrs time and Olivers contract ends in 2030.

AFL needs to bring in restrictions for contracts - max 4 yr deals.
Need be up the salary but cut down the years.
It seems to be falling apart for them.

The best thing for them would be to clean shop. Trade out both Oliver and Petracca and load up again.

They won’t though.
Agree with that - management will be sweating because they know there jobs are on the line as well / I fully expect the coach to be sacked.

Didn’t he bulk up for the draft? I thought there was a report that he knew he needed more muscle, so he bulked up. He’s had a great first year.
Absolutely he has. I reckon he still has more weight to put on his frame, which will happen.

Once he does, should have no issues at all lining up for centre clearances.

Just watched Footy Classified, saying that St Kilda are in footy 'quicksand'. Stuck in 12th - 9th spot and Ross is coaching to well to get in the draft capital we need.

1) do you disagree if so why
2) If you agree what can we do to get the talent we need to get out?

Clearly the list isn't up to winning a flag right now (ladder finishes 12th, 6th, 10th, 10th, 6th, 14th, 15th) our age profile is V shaped where we have a lot of talent under 23 and 29 or over but not a great deal in the middle.

Armed with Pick 7, 24, 45 in the draft how do we get out of this position? (without praying for Simon Dalrymple to magic up another Chad Warner at pick 39)

I would be very interested to know how many games were played by players less than 21/22 years old this year and how that compares to other teams.

Below is a list of the number of games played by players born after 1st Jan 2003 (this season only). Looks a bit like a reverse ladder with a few notable exceptions...

TeamGamesPlayers
West Coast15014
Hawthorn14211
St Kilda13411
North Melbourne12812
Adelaide1208
Gold Coast1138
Melbourne1138
Brisbane1067
GWS997
Richmond909
Fremantle767
Western Bulldogs676
Geelong597
Port Adelaide495
Carlton495
Collingwood455
Essendon435
Sydney334

Just watched Footy Classified, saying that St Kilda are in footy 'quicksand'. Stuck in 12th - 9th spot and Ross is coaching to well to get in the draft capital we need.

Clearly the list isn't up to winning a flag right now (ladder finishes 12th, 6th, 10th, 10th, 6th, 14th, 15th) our age profile is V shaped where we have a lot of talent under 23 and 29 or over but not a great deal in the middle.

Armed with Pick 7, 24, 45 in the draft how do we get out of this position? (without praying for Simon Dalrymple to magic up another Chad Warner at pick 39)

They’re all over the shop. We’ve also listened to this same panel say on rinse and repeat that this list hasn’t developed under Ross, lacks direction, and yet now they’re basically saying Ross is overachieving? Odd.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl...ssified-kane-cornes/clwovhvxh00020hp726znd173

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was interesting but predictable they’ve shit canned us all year
Zero real analysis on this show …I sometimes wonder when Ross says he listens only to analysis that’s deeper than finger nail deep ….if he’s referring to this lot …. Just headline grabbing muppets
Sadly some truth to it - we have been in quicksand/no man’s land for a decade
Fox On the Couch said similar - asked the question: how does this list address the glaring gun midfield talent we have as we haven’t been a destination club.
Reality is you have to draft exceptionally well but to get the talent we need you need to be at the top end - that means we are in the Battle situation praying for band. 1 …. Who else do u offer up to get you there ?
We can dream of an LDU but seems a pipe dream ….just shows very very hard to climb in such an uneven, compromised competition

Petracca only wants big club wants to build out “brand Petracca” and play in front of big crowds ….what a tw@t let him rot

It’s clear his own teammates now can’t stand him and that it’s best he leaves them. Matthew Lloyd said it has gone past the point of no return.

But Petracca only wants to play for a big Melbourne club, ideally Carlton or Collingwood.

Collingwood simply don’t have the draft capital or salary cap room to make a deal happen. Melbourne wouldn’t want to deal with Collingwood anyway.

According the Sam McClure Melbourne would do a deal with Carlton if it involved either Curnow or McKay. Curnow has already said he isn’t remotely interested.

McKay hasn’t indicated anything yet but if he doesn’t want to go either, and Carlton puts pressure on him, then they potentially risk him becoming disenchanted. Carlton risk a lot in pursuing this.

Petracca is becoming unpopular within his own player group. Caroline Wilson didn’t mince her words about his lack of leadership and team responsibility.

Petracca might find himself without a club to play with other than with the club he now despises and with the players who now despise him.

What a mess Melbourne are in. They really should just cut their losses with both Oliver and Petracca, but especially with Petracca. Horrible situation.

It was interesting but predictable they’ve shit canned us all year
Zero real analysis on this show …I sometimes wonder when Ross says he listens only to analysis that’s deeper than finger nail deep ….if he’s referring to this lot …. Just headline grabbing muppets
Sadly some truth to it - we have been in quicksand/no man’s land for a decade
Fox On the Couch said similar - asked the question: how does this list address the glaring gun midfield talent we have as we haven’t been a destination club.
Reality is you have to draft exceptionally well but to get the talent we need you need to be at the top end - that means we are in the Battle situation praying for band. 1 …. Who else do u offer up to get you there ?
We can dream of an LDU but seems a pipe dream ….just shows very very hard to climb in such an uneven, compromised competition

Just seems like our strategy is to sit and hope we absolutely nail our picks, we have in the last couple years but having only 1 first rounder each year doesn’t leave any room for error

Okay, now that the season is done, this is what we are working with this off-season. Let's see what happens but these are needs, our assets and who we could realistically target or off-load.

List needs:
  1. Stoppage and clearance-winning midfielders with pace and ‘X-Factor’
  2. More of the above
  3. Key Defender/Third tall intercept defender
Current Picks

First round - Pick 7
Second Round - Pick 24
Third Round - Pick 43

Future 1st (Pick 5 - 12)
Future 2nd (Pick 25 - 32)
Future 3rd (Pick 43 - 50)
Future 4th (Pick 61 - 68)

Potential player trade-outs that have value

Josh Battle - (FA compensation Band 1- Band 2: Pick 8 or Pick 21)
Max King - 2 First round picks, one inside the top 10
Jack Steele - First round pick, mid to late first round
Dougal Howard - Second round pick, early
Ben Paton - Fourth round pick

Potential player trade-ins and their cost

Luke Davies-Uniake - 2 First round picks, one inside the top 10
Dylan Shiel - Salary dump and get back a Third round pick
James Peatling - Second round pick, late
Adam Tomlinson - Fourth round pick
Please remove Shiel

Below is a list of the number of games played by players born after 1st Jan 2003 (this season only). Looks a bit like a reverse ladder with a few notable exceptions...

TeamGamesPlayers
West Coast15014
Hawthorn14211
St Kilda13411
North Melbourne12812
Adelaide1208
Gold Coast1138
Melbourne1138
Brisbane1067
GWS997
Richmond909
Fremantle767
Western Bulldogs676
Geelong597
Port Adelaide495
Carlton495
Collingwood455
Essendon435
Sydney334
Essendon! Hahaha

Couple of players I thought halfway through the year this would be their last season in Saints colours:
Membrey, Jones, Dougal.

Have all three played their way into another contract? Been in some impressive form to finish the year. Honestly don't see why we'd give any of them up now unless we got something decent in return.

Seems like Ross, Paton, Allison, Bonner are done, maybe Hayes and Cordy too depending on Battle and Tom Campbell, but who else is on the block? Seems like list spots could be an issue if we're keen on hitting the draft again.

Surely if we've learnt anything from this year it's that the competition is more even than ever before, teams jump from the middle to the top and back down the ladder all the time. Also, we've managed to pick high level prospects in all the most recent drafts from outside the top 5, not sure why we can't do it again.
Let's not forget that our three best players weren't even taken in the national draft!

Pretty sure the plan is to draft again this year to solidify the young stable of talent, then go to trade and free agency in the following few years and try to land a big fish or two with our 'warchest' + selling them on our bright future with said young talent. Making finals next year would help immensely with that vision of course, but first things first gotta nail the draft.

There's a lot of blokes out of contract. There's got to be far more going on than just Josh Battle.
Things are going to get weird and fruity; but as the writer Hunter S. Thompson said: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
johnny depp dr gonzo GIF

Since when did some half arsed journo/ex players become recruiting managers, Cal Twomey says this draft is open so any where between 1 - 10 will make no difference it comes down to club preference, there will be diamonds littered through out this draft.

When we play well the wins are meaningless, when we play bad we need a rebuild typical journalisim they like to keep us down it gives them a weekly story, how's Nth going with their top end draft picks.

BREAKING NEWS

A cleanup crew has arrived at RSEA Park in Moorabbin following reports of a massive oil spill.

qlgkfNF.jpeg

In other news, Essendon midfielder Dylan Shiels reportedly toured the facility earlier in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back