List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when did some half arsed journo/ex players become recruiting managers, Cal Twomey says this draft is open so any where between 1 - 10 will make no difference it comes down to club preference, there will be diamonds littered through out this draft.

When we play well the wins are meaningless, when we play bad we need a rebuild typical journalisim they like to keep us down it gives them a weekly story, how's Nth going with their top end draft picks.
3 journalists on that show tipped Hawthorn to finish bottom and Maclure tipped Carlton to be premiers.Saying St.Kilda is stuck in the mud is probably a fair comment with our past history,but with Lyon in charge and a good group of young kids recruited in recent times and what we have witnessed in 2nd half of the season I honestly think we are all starting to believe, including the players.
Our form and style of play has vastly improved in the 2nd half of the season and the our system is now great to watch We have to go back many a year to count us consistently scoring 5,6and 7 goals in a qtr like we have done in the second half of this season
.As stated/mentioned on this thread for many a year our major hurdle is our midfield.
Losing Battle will hurt somewhat but priority is getting classy midfield players into the club via the draft as has been mentioned by us all on BF..Our past few drafts have been excellent in my opinion and we need to nail this years.
I haven't been this optimistic for some future success since I can't remember .
Go Saints

3 journalists on that show tipped Hawthorn to finish bottom and Maclure tipped Carlton to be premiers.Saying St.Kilda is stuck in the mud is probably a fair comment with our past history,but with Lyon in charge and a good group of young kids recruited in recent times and what we have witnessed in 2nd half of the season I honestly think we are all starting to believe, including the players.
Our form and style of play has vastly improved in the 2nd half of the season and the our system is now great to watch We have to go back many a year to count us consistently scoring 5,6and 7 goals in a qtr like we have done in the second half of this season
.As stated/mentioned on this thread for many a year our major hurdle is our midfield.
Losing Battle will hurt somewhat but priority is getting classy midfield players into the club via the draft as has been mentioned by us all on BF..Our past few drafts have been excellent in my opinion and we need to nail this years.
I haven't been this optimistic for some future success since I can't remember .
Go Saints
Yeah I agree.

This year, according to the media we have
  • Under performed
  • Don't have a list good enough to win
  • Played boring
  • Played exciting footy
  • Have no goo young talent
-Have a bunch of good talent.

I personally think we have a really exciting group of 25's and under. I would happily see us trade off a key senior guy if it means getting in more picks or getting a younger guy back (Steele for Callaghan for example)

I think building up the under 25's and sticking the course will see us end up having a real crack at it

Yeah I agree.

This year, according to the media we have
  • Under performed
  • Don't have a list good enough to win
  • Played boring
  • Played exciting footy
  • Have no goo young talent
-Have a bunch of good talent.

I personally think we have a really exciting group of 25's and under. I would happily see us trade off a key senior guy if it means getting in more picks or getting a younger guy back (Steele for Callaghan for example)

I think building up the under 25's and sticking the course will see us end up having a real crack at it
In fairness, we did play some very boring footy mid way through the year, and then some exciting footy in the last 4-5 weeks.

WTF are we doing with Shiel. He is old, not very good and comes across as a w***er.
"Yes the rumours are true, they wanted me last year, they still want me this year...I'm just so in demand...:
Let's hope this is a cunning ruse to screw Dildoro into thinking he has Shiels salary to play with.

WTF are we doing with Shiel. He is old, not very good and comes across as a w***er.
"Yes the rumours are true, they wanted me last year, they still want me this year...I'm just so in demand...:
Let's hope this is a cunning ruse to screw Dildoro into thinking he has Shiels salary to play with.
they have a salaray cap they have to spend. its pure business.

Shiel eats into that cap so we dont have to over pay other players

It was interesting but predictable they’ve shit canned us all year
Zero real analysis on this show …I sometimes wonder when Ross says he listens only to analysis that’s deeper than finger nail deep ….if he’s referring to this lot …. Just headline grabbing muppets
Sadly some truth to it - we have been in quicksand/no man’s land for a decade
Fox On the Couch said similar - asked the question: how does this list address the glaring gun midfield talent we have as we haven’t been a destination club.
Reality is you have to draft exceptionally well but to get the talent we need you need to be at the top end - that means we are in the Battle situation praying for band. 1 …. Who else do u offer up to get you there ?
We can dream of an LDU but seems a pipe dream ….just shows very very hard to climb in such an uneven, compromised competition
Spot on

Just watched Footy Classified, saying that St Kilda are in footy 'quicksand'. Stuck in 12th - 9th spot and Ross is coaching to well to get in the draft capital we need.

1) do you disagree if so why
2) If you agree what can we do to get the talent we need to get out?

Clearly the list isn't up to winning a flag right now (ladder finishes 12th, 6th, 10th, 10th, 6th, 14th, 15th) our age profile is V shaped where we have a lot of talent under 23 and 29 or over but not a great deal in the middle.

Armed with Pick 7, 24, 45 in the draft how do we get out of this position? (without praying for Simon Dalrymple to magic up another Chad Warner at pick 39)
Again I ask, what is so special about 2 or 3 spots earlier in an even draft that would make it worth playing poorly?

Everyone agrees our list needs more talent but it's such a short sighted and simpleton view that those few spots would make any significant different to our list moving forward.

I'd like an explanation for why we would be better if Phillipou didn't have a BOG performance Sydney to help get us over the line, or Wilson not having that big impact against Geelong, or Sharman not finally holding his marks against Essendon. Shouldn't we be encouraged by the improved performance from our developing players which lead to wins? Isn't that what we want, or should we be discouraged by those performances because they were from people drafted after pick 5 so they must not be talented enough to be long term, high performing players for us.

I would make a play for LDU this year. Talk to Roos and be clear that they may get nothing for him next year…or a compo pick which will mean an extra 12months of development for the kid they get…

In band 1 for Battle

Keep 7

Trade future 1st and 8 for LDU

In the end it works out to be LDU for battle and a 1st rnd pick, avoids the bidding wars in 2025/6 with bigger clubs. Time to swoop

On losing to get draft picks

if we didn’t show signs of being a good team by winning games late in the season, the LDU trade goes from a 20% possibility to a 2%

This is for the the how do we improve with only 1 first round pick narrative. The reason we are going to improve is the continued nailing of second and third round picks. Getting Mitch, Windy (NGA obviously), Garcia, Sharman, Caminiti and Henry with picks outside the first round is the reason you move up. Obviously, it helps when you draft Naz, Pou and Wilson with picks between 10 and 18 but if you want to truly succeed you need to do well not just in the first round.
The hawks haven't exactly nailed it with DGB and Ward as yet but are still trending in the right direction. North has absolutely nailed it with Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher and look a million miles off still. Make more good decisions than bad and you'll be fine in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again I ask, what is so special about 2 or 3 spots earlier in an even draft that would make it worth playing poorly?

Everyone agrees our list needs more talent but it's such a short sighted and simpleton view that those few spots would make any significant different to our list moving forward.

I'd like an explanation for why we would be better if Phillipou didn't have a BOG performance Sydney to help get us over the line, or Wilson not having that big impact against Geelong, or Sharman not finally holding his marks against Essendon. Shouldn't we be encouraged by the improved performance from our developing players which lead to wins? Isn't that what we want, or should we be discouraged by those performances because they were from people drafted after pick 5 so they must not be talented enough to be long term, high performing players for us.
I don't disagree with you, but people who do probably consider your opinion to be a short "short sighted, simpleton" view. The conversation is better without the put downs imo. People just wanted a better chance at getting a better midfielder, and theoretically you have a better chance with a better pick. Nothing stupid about it, and doing well from lower picks doesn't change that.
We've got what we earned and deserved, so I'm ok with it all, but can understand the frustrations. One pick may not change so much, but improving the midfield happens one player at a time, and that one pick has been thought to be 2 picks for a while on here. Oh well, we can't spend what we don't have. Not our picks, and not our players, so we need to move on and focus on who IS available to us and develop them as you say, like Matteus, Wilson and Nas.

I would make a play for LDU this year. Talk to Roos and be clear that they may get nothing for him next year…or a compo pick which will mean an extra 12months of development for the kid they get…

In band 1 for Battle

Keep 7

Trade future 1st and 8 for LDU

In the end it works out to be LDU for battle and a 1st rnd pick, avoids the bidding wars in 2025/6 with bigger clubs. Time to swoop

On losing to get draft picks

if we didn’t show signs of being a good team by winning games late in the season, the LDU trade goes from a 20% possibility to a 2%
Or we could wait a year and just offer him the most money. If North are garbage again then they might just take the band one compensation (a top 3 pick) and we get him without trading draft capital. I'd make him the highest paid player in the league if this was the scenario

Or we could wait a year and just offer him the most money. If North are garbage again then they might just take the band one compensation (a top 3 pick) and we get him without trading draft capital. I'd make him the highest paid player in the league if this was the scenario

Also need to factor in the possibility that AFL gift laden Roos may finally start to come good in 2025 and that LDU, like a lot of his teammates, signs on for the long term.

It’s fortuitous that after showing a bit of form they returned to their early patheticness to end the season. The Saints on the other hand finished strongly and full of potential.

IF there’s a chance to get him now you would have to seriously consider it.

So if Battle leaves and the pick goes **** up and is end of first round, I would offer that to the Injectors for Tsatsas.
They have burnt his capital, don't want him etc.
In a good culture, with Ross as coach, under Mason Woods wing, we could get the best out of him.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is for the the how do we improve with only 1 first round pick narrative. The reason we are going to improve is the continued nailing of second and third round picks. Getting Mitch, Windy (NGA obviously), Garcia, Sharman, Caminiti and Henry with picks outside the first round is the reason you move up. Obviously, it helps when you draft Naz, Pou and Wilson with picks between 10 and 18 but if you want to truly succeed you need to do well not just in the first round.
The hawks haven't exactly nailed it with DGB and Ward as yet but are still trending in the right direction. North has absolutely nailed it with Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher and look a million miles off still. Make more good decisions than bad and you'll be fine in the end.
All of the recent premiership teams were built on the back of star top 5/10 star midfield picks, sure nailing late picks helps and supplements the list but we haven't got one yet and these teams have/had 3 of them.

Collingwood: Daicos (4), Pendlebury (5), De Goey (5)
Melbourne: Petracca (2), Brayshaw (3), Oliver (4)
Richmond: Martin (4), Cotchin (2), Prestia (9)

Could we not prise Brad Crouch out of Adelaide for a couple of years ?.

Will be 30 next year and signed until end of 2025 but geez I’d prefer him to Dylan Shiel.

So if Battle leaves and the pick goes **** up and is end of first round, I would offer that to the Injectors for Tsatsas.
They have burnt his capital, don't want him etc.
In a good culture, with Ross as coach, under Mason Woods wing, we could get the best out of him.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon that's a ripper

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could we not prise Brad Crouch out of Adelaide for a couple of years ?.

Will be 30 next year and signed until end of 2025 but geez I’d prefer him to Dylan Shiel.
would...but Brad already plays for St Kilda ;)

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Since when did some half arsed journo/ex players become recruiting managers, Cal Twomey says this draft is open so any where between 1 - 10 will make no difference it comes down to club preference, there will be diamonds littered through out this draft.

When we play well the wins are meaningless, when we play bad we need a rebuild typical journalisim they like to keep us down it gives them a weekly story, how's Nth going with their top end draft picks.
But it doesn’t mean that right up to ten is just a preference. Seems very much a tier inside that top 10. Not to mention that 1 through even 6 or 7 aren’t just equal weight. Highly likely FOS, Smith and Draper are gone by pick 5, maybe even pick 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back