List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee whizz, if we can somehow manage to grab Houston and then LDU, 27 and 25 respectively, as well as a first round midfielder or two then look the f out šŸ˜²

Why stop there? Surely we can plan to nab Petraccca (shoulda been ours) and Oliver to further bolster the midfield. If we are clever with our round 4 pick and package it with, say, Hayes, we could winkle McKay out of Carlton, add some firepower to our forwards.

I reckon we would be reasonably happy with LDU, Houston, McKay, Petracca and Oliver as well as keeping our two first rounders. Sure we would lose a faithful servant in Hayes but I reckon this makes the list better.

Roll on trade period full moon.

Unless we move to sa or wa I donā€™t know whyā€™d he come?
Nah not to us, though that'd be sick, I more mean draft picks and such. Seems like there will be a lot of player movement this year, would be a good year to hold multiple picks and act as middle man in trades, middle men clubs are the ones that seem to do the best out of big trades in my mind

I reckon we would be reasonably happy with LDU, Houston, McKay, Petracca and Oliver as well as keeping our two first rounders. Sure we would lose a faithful servant in Hayes but I reckon this makes the list better.

Youā€™d be taking games off the kids with all those old blokes.

If we kept Battle and somehow managed to bring in Houston and LDU at the expense of first rounders this year and next, as well as other picks, are we melting or happy?
The lineup would be staring to look pretty solid,

Probably happy because we are going for top 4 but maybe long term it would bite. Really depends on how we assess the kids already at the club. We have a huge youth quota already but only relevant if they are good enough to be future best 22 players.

something way back in my memory tells me houston and jack silvagni are the best of mates,hope any pursuit of him is not personal for SOS,great player but not a need & will cost heeps,can he play midfield?

Heā€™s top shelf talent. If someone offered you Jack Sinclair I doubt any club would say no.

Doubtful we'd have the currency for both. Surely take LDU if both were keen to come. He's looking at 2 first rounders this year vs free next year though. Tough one.

The danger with waiting is that if North start winning or another club with more dollars and clout come knocking you miss out.

Why stop there? Surely we can plan to nab Petraccca (shoulda been ours) and Oliver to further bolster the midfield. If we are clever with our round 4 pick and package it with, say, Hayes, we could winkle McKay out of Carlton, add some firepower to our forwards.

Roll on trade period full moon.
Not prepared to lose Hayes for that, way too much. Really some of you people just want to give the farm away

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

because it was taking the List Management thread off the rails, i'll put it here

Adam Tomlinson is our "Julian Draxler to Arsenal". Easy media prediction every year, but i'll be ****ed if it ever happens.

Got nothing against him, I've always liked him. Pretty sure my brother dated his older sister in high school like 15 years ago. But at this point, do we gaf and is it just funnier if it again fails to happen?

Probably happy because we are going for top 4 but maybe long term it would bite. Really depends on how we assess the kids already at the club. We have a huge youth quota already but only relevant if they are good enough to be future best 22 players.
I was thinking just yesterday we have to stay in draft, but Those 2 players agreeing/asking to come to us is game changing IMO, enough so to rethink the ā€˜hit the draft planā€™ because the list would be absolutely good enough with those to AA talents.
It also means the careers of Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall, Hill, Wood will not fizzle out whilst draftees develop.
Weā€™ll get improvements from King,Henry, Phillipou, Wilson, Owens, Windhager, Garcia too.
Youā€™ve got 20 players who basically pick themselves on talent alone every week.
Iā€™d gamble the draft now on a realistic chance to win a flag every year for the next 3-4 years, but Iā€™m a gambling man.

I don't like this Dan Houston talk. Port will ask for two firsts for a bloody half back.

Rather look at MacRae and take the picks to the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking just yesterday we have to stay in draft, but Those 2 players agreeing/asking to come to us is game changing IMO, enough so to rethink the ā€˜hit the draft planā€™ because the list would be absolutely good enough with those to AA talents.
It also means the careers of Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall, Hill, Wood will not fizzle out whilst draftees develop.
Weā€™ll get improvements from King,Henry, Phillipou, Wilson, Owens, Windhager, Garcia too.
Youā€™ve got 20 players who basically pick themselves on talent alone every week.
Iā€™d gamble the draft now on a realistic chance to win a flag every year for the next 3-4 years, but Iā€™m a gambling man.

And after with finish 6th 3 times in a row and they all retire and we still have only one midfielder talent under 25 we will go back to the draft and do it all over again. The classic Shortcut hamster wheel.

We need to go back to the draft with two top 10 picks we arenā€™t Geelong etc we need to be absolutely undeniable to win a flag. That means a stacked midfield and then add in your top ups/free agents.

And after with finish 6th 3 times in a row and they all retire and we still have only one midfielder talent under 25 we will go back to the draft and do it all over again. The classic Shortcut hamster wheel.

We need to go back to the draft with two top 10 picks we arenā€™t Geelong etc we need to be absolutely undeniable to win a flag. That means a stacked midfield and then add in your top ups/free agents.
If LDU is gettable, you get him. Itā€™s as simple as that.

I don't like this Dan Houston talk. Port will ask for two firsts for a bloody half back.

Rather look at MacRae and take the picks to the draft

Yep, my concern is if he chooses us we would be so flattered we will bend over backwards to make it happen.

Absolutely can't use any if this years first round picks on anthing but midfielders.

If Port would accept next years first rounder + change we would have to consider it. Sincs and Houston on the half back line with NAS moving to a wing.

Nobody has complained more about our ball use then me the last decade, but a side that has Sincs, NAS, Houston and Schoenmaker (provided he can crack the side) looks very dangerous on paper.

Last edited:
Yep, my concern is if he chooses us we be so flattered we will bend over backwards to make it happen.

Absolutely can't use any if this years first round picks on anthing but midfielders.

If Port would accept next years first rounder + change we would have to consider it. Sincs and Houston on the half back line with NAS moving to a wing.

Nobody has complained more about our ball use then me the last decade, but a side that has Sincs, NAS, Houston and Schoenmaker (provided he can crack the side) looks very dangerous on paper.

Wood, Hill, Wilson, Byrnes, Hastie ... we're sort of sorted on the wing as well.

There's no doubting Houston in an excellent footballer, but he just doesn't fill a position of need and would likely cost too much. Surely Melbourne get something done here involving Pickett.

Wood, Hill, Wilson, Byrnes, Hastie ... we're sort of sorted on the wing as well.

There's no doubting Houston in an excellent footballer, but he just doesn't fill a position of need and would likely cost too much. Surely Melbourne get something done here involving Pickett.
Houston does not want to go to Melbourne, would you in their state.

I know I am completely stupid as seen by my shocking efforts in SuperCoach year after year , but I would rather we didnā€™t try trade for a big name midfielder. I would love to continue to watch guys like Wilson , Pou , Byrnes etc to continue to improve with them getting lots of midfield time . Yes there is no guarantee they are going to be great players . But I grew up seeing young Hayes , young Harvey , Winmar , Burke , Thompson etc go on to become superstars and it was so exciting. I also remember whoever the coach was at the time , but young Hayes was struggling to get a kick at the start and I was saying why on earth are they playing him , heā€™s hopeless . So yes l donā€™t always get it right , in fact I know Iā€™ve been wrong many more times than Iā€™ve been right . I remember young Stewie Loewe struggling to kick over the man on the mark every time and yet look how he turned out . There is something special following some kid who you hardly notice at first and all of a sudden you think this kid can play and he goes on to be someone like Harvey .
I do feel for young people today who never got to see guys like Harvey , Lockett etc playing at their best especially after the period we had just been through before . And unfortunately being a lowly side we were hardly never on replays .

You just summed up my feelings of watching Byrnes run around this year. Genuinely though he was pretty hopeless, then this year he has just started showing so much. Watching him go from (what I thought) a very iffy kicker to nailing 45m inboard kicks has been unreal this year. His goal on the left against Carlton was the cherry on top! Where can he end up with another Ross the Boss preseason?

im sure having a whatever month year also makes it a bit harder to jet off to bali with the boiz
Or the fact that he actually has a new baby - would be the most likely reason imo.

Hypothetically speaking what would happen if Hawks offered band 2 money and Battle chose to go there but we had a band 1 offer on the table?

In regard to Dan Houston, great player but it's not ideal to send out high picks when our team is still building. They'll likely ask for NWM anyway so hopefully it's all just a rumour.
Hyperthetically, this place would go into meltdown and people would shit on the club demanding a clean out of the board etc.
Just the normal really.

If he is willing to entertain a trade in the first place he would entertain a free agency move.

Getting him over the line is the issue overall, not really the method in which he moves clubs.

Meanwhile, it would be in both clubs better interest to wait anyway. North are not going to be rocketing up the ladder next year and first round compo will be much better then any future pick we will have.
There is no way north wouldn't match the offer anyway and force a trade. He is worth two first round picks every day of the week and free agency compo would only get them one. May as well have a dip this year I reckon

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Itā€™s possible St Kildaā€™s increased offer has now complicated matters rather than clarifying them.
As long as it works for us.
Either he stays OR we definitely get Band 1.

BUT - there's the issue and that is why I have said you have to be careful what you wish for.
7 years is a long contract. If the club truly wants Josh to stay, all well and good. But if they really want the compo draft pick and have offered him that deal just to ensure Band 1, they are playing with fire because he could choose to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back