List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

But he ain't the future

I understand he brings experience but does he bring us a Premiership? ... or are we better off giving our younger mid brigade more senior experience themselves?

Not sure he going to make a huge difference and if reports are correct he still still has 3 years to run on his Bulldogs contract (2027) and will be on a fair whack
Its not a matter of experience. Its a matter of having someone who can be leaned on to play that role for the year.
It wouldn't make sense to go into a season having an 18yo ruckman , and it doesn't make sense for this either.

Are we wanting to get them experience or break them.

Who cares if Macrae is 30, he’s still a very good AFL player. If nothing else he’d be able to teach our kids some midfield/ work rate craft.

Reckon he’s got a few good years in him, be stoked if we got him.
Absolutely
Would come in and be one of our best straight off
Comes from a strong mid system
Crouch replacement cover for kids
Racks them up
Wont want to pay too much though

Might help if he could rely on the inside 50 kick actually getting to him and not flying over his head.
We have improved so much in this area with NAS, Wilson, Clark etc even Byrnes and Garcia, he’ll lead if he knows the ball will get to him.
There is no doubt he doesn't get great service.

Either does Larkey, yet to date he has had a better career than King. Only difference is he was taken with a pick in the 70s.

King is far more hyped, but is he the better player? So far, no.

King is good, jus saying he is way overhyped given his deficiencies. Would rather have that not have obviously, but if the question is who makes us better LDU or King it is not really even close IMO.

I think most people believe he is an excellent player. But Port's asking price is way too high for someone who plays the one position we have two elite players already in.

We need genuine mids. Not more half backs to try and turn into midfielders.
Yeap Houston is a gun but looks like we've found our excuse to not improve our midfeild again. Like clockwork.

One report saying Battle had exit meeting today.

Another saying it’s next week.
:confusedv1:
Tom Morris on Channel 9 News said more than 25 Saints players are headed to Bali tomorrow, Josh Battle isn't one of them. Apparently he's staying to weigh up his future.

Seems like most of the exit meetings have already taken place (if 25+ Saints are leaving the country), yet apparently Josh's is next week?

Sounds like Josh wants to stay but his wife maybe pushing him towards the Hawks....I'm sure RTB will put it to him squarely, that to choose to stay would be a massive statement for the club and to all the team-mates that he believes we can win a flag - and there would be no bigger thing on Australian sport than StKilda winning their second premiership. Footy immortality!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Morris on Channel 9 News said more than 25 Saints players are headed to Bali tomorrow, Josh Battle isn't one of them. Apparently he's staying to weigh up his future.

Seems like most of the exit meetings have already taken place (if 25+ Saints are leaving the country), yet apparently Josh's is next week?
Josh had his yesterday I think. Couldn't decide so I assume they've scheduled a second meeting

im sure having a whatever month year also makes it a bit harder to jet off to bali with the boiz

Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s headlines - Battle staying! …………….

In Australia.

But he ain't the future

I understand he brings experience but does he bring us a Premiership? ... or are we better off giving our younger mid brigade more senior experience themselves?

Not sure he going to make a huge difference and if reports are correct he still still has 3 years to run on his Bulldogs contract (2027) and will be on a fair whack
Agree. While he has plenty of competition in the Dogs midfield, they’d find a bigger role if the game had not started to go past him.

I think most people believe he is an excellent player. But Port's asking price is way too high for someone who plays the one position we have two elite players already in.

We need genuine mids. Not more half backs to try and turn into midfielders.

What if you move Nas on ball and play Houston in his spot? You have the flexibility to move them back and forth to change things up in the midfield depending on needs. Exactly what Geelong did. Houston can play midfield and is an absolute top shelf player

Injuries will happen, we lose Ross and Crouch as experience. Jones and Clark, while good game time towards the end are injury prone. Dow is also injury prone.

We cant throw the kids to the wolves with no experience in the mids.

Dow and Henry really only broke down this year. Jones and Clark are very injury prone

30 isn't that old, he could still have plenty of good footy ahead of him. He's an AA level mid, if we're getting him it's to play inside where he'd become our second best mid after Steele. Pou will keep playing midfield and hopefully elevate, if others elevate too then great but at this stage he's better than every player you listed.

Ideally whoever we get holds a spot for a couple of years before a kid pushes them out. Younger GOPs are more of an issue IMO. Tempting to play them over a kid.

He looked pathetic 1 on 1 against the magpies last week.

Was given an absolute bath by everyone he stood next to (and it's not like the pies have amazing tall fwds).

I haven't seen anything else of him- but if that night was anything like his normal level(?)- NO.
He is cordy mk2

He’s never been a KP. He’s more like a Dylan Robertson tall HBF. He’s never found a position because of it.

True.
But it could also blow up in our faces if he decides the lower offer from Hawthorn.

If Battle did that then that then his exit from the club would leave a sour taste. Nobody would want that, including his Manager. Our club would feel quite rightly disappointed in Josh for doing that.

It would look really poor. As if he left the club under compensated by accepting the lesser offer. Perceptions are reality even though free agency compensation is not his responsibility.

In these circumstances I assume Battle and his Manager would be persuading Hawthorn to increase their offer to at least match St Kilda’s. If Hawks were intransigent then I’d be staggered if Battle didn’t get irritated and then decide to re-sign with Saints. It’s why I don’t think Hawks would be intransigent if they really want Battle.

If St Kilda have offered Battle a reported 7 year deal, with dollars in excess of Hawthorn’s offer, then I’m darned if I know why he hasn’t re-signed with us. Unless of course he really does want to go to Hawthorn, which appears to become increasingly apparent as time passes.

It’s possible St Kilda’s increased offer has now complicated matters rather than clarifying them.

Dow and Henry really only broke down this year. Jones and Clark are very injury prone
73 games in 6 years would suggest he had plenty of injuries as well as being dropped while at Carlton.

Didn't mention Henry as his appearances in the mids are sporadic and he is only 23. Jones and Clark are significantly older, Jones 30, Clark 26.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back