List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Would really like this confirmed
Least Battle could’ve done is ensured we get decent compensation

Sounds like he went for $850k, we ran a late offer of $950k x 6 years and he went to the Hawks with their offer. I reckon it’s right on the cusp. If the AFL wants to screw us they could

I am just wondering HAVE any of the BIG CLUBS ever lost a player to Free Agency? I cant immediately think of any....
They probably got Father/Son or Academy picks. Or traded out fair players for good picks to desperate clubs. Always going onwards and upwards.

We haven’t had the draft capital from any of those sources. We have been over this endlessly.

This has more to do with getting in some more high picks than anything else. I am comfortable with that. How else are we going to get high quality on to our list. Josh Battle is a very good player. But it isn’t a game breaker losing him.

He was an UFA - he shopped himself around.

Okay, we certainly told him we’d be open to him going as long as we got good compensation. Sometimes honesty is too much for people who want to feel valued and needed in the workplace.

Agree, he hasn’t done anything wrong, don’t agree with people saying the club botched it also. Also don’t understand the ‘hope he’s done the right thing by the club and signed us into band 1’ that’s not his responsibility.
Spot on and hawthorn has no motivation what so ever to increase that offer

They've paid him what they think he is worth.

They have their own cap to manage.

The battle is over but the battle of the bands is only just beginning. It's going to be a long few weeks in here....

For weeks all that was reported was that it would be band 1 if he leaves. Then all of a sudden maybe its not. Feels like it's just another talking point drummed up to fill the endless hours of mind numbing trade radio.

Spot on and hawthorn has no motivation what so ever to increase that offer

They've paid him what they think he is worth.

They have their own cap to manage.

They can sell him a clear vision and dream. They have a perception of being much closer to a flag than us and history to back it. We seem a bit of a confused operation with lots of hope but bad luck and excuses at the ready. Hopefully our late season form suggests that we are moving forward but until we do we are always going to struggle to have the same pull.

You make your own luck and so far Lyon’s crew has been good but they have taken a hard reputation hit today. If they blow the compo a devastating one. Gresham compo looks shaky right now…..if you gamble you’d better win. Blow this and we need some serious footy department restructuring and a good board clean out.

Simon CMP Goodwin will be next cab off the rank...book mark it!
In the Trac trade thread a Pies poseter described Garry Pert as a cancer at Collingwood, then a Melbs poster described an unholy alliance between Goody, Pert and the Prez. Add in Richo and you have a lot of bad apples in one barrel. They're in big trouble me thinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the Trac trade thread a Pies poseter described Garry Pert as a cancer at Collingwood, then a Melbs poster described an unholy alliance between Goody, Pert and the Prez. Add in Richo and you have a lot of bad apples in one barrel. They're in big trouble me thinks.
I don’t think you could call Choey a bad apple 🍏 could you???

It's disappointing that Battle has chosen to defect to the Hawks but not unexpected given all the noise about him leaving us.

It won't be so disappointing if we can get a first round pick for him as compensation but knowing our luck we probably won't.

Regardless of what pick we get for him Battle isn't irreplaceable, he's a good solid defender but he's no superstar and with RTB's elite defensive system we should be able to find someone to play his role to a similar standard.

He will certainly improve the Hawks defence though along with Barrass and the pricks will probably win another flag before us.

Please outline a positive..?
Battle wanted to join his boyhood club, and we hopefully receive above the market compensation (pick 7/8). Win/win. End of story..

Battle is a good player, a third tall, only really came on in the last 2 years.. People carrying on like Battle is a superstar.. I was devastated when Plugger left, to a lesser extend Barry Hall, Winmar, Goddard, Dal Santo and all of them much bigger stars than Battle. We survived, played in finals/grand finals in the years followed. life goes on..

To be honest.. Wilkie is 10 times better than Battle in terms of intercept marking and defending.. And I’m sure he is not getting 800k a season. A bit of perspective here please.

Last edited:
Mail is battle isn't on anywhere near 900k per year.

I reckon they've butchered this terribly. They've low balled battle to push him out then tried to come back when they learnt the hawthorn offer wasn't high enough to reach a trigger point which actually went up compared to last season.
Unfortunately the fact he was unrestricted really put us in a tough place. He's obviously a Hawthorn person, taking unders to play down the road he doesn't really care about our club and wants to go there. We need people made of sterner stuff.

If we manage to get pick 8 it will be amazing out of the situation we were in. If we were offering him 700k it's hardly unders.

He's done very well for himself.

As a father I havn't, if he was staying he wouldn't have gone away, it's his first, you don't leave not in this day and age.
The shitty joke I was making was that apparently some Saints players have left to go to Bali (apparently) and that Battle delayed making his decision until they all had left .... so he didn't have to face them directly with the news ... he waited until they left .... like telling your wife you are leaving her after she heads interstate or overseas to see her parents ;)

They probably got Father/Son or Academy picks. Or traded out fair players for good picks to desperate clubs. Always going onwards and upwards.

We haven’t had the draft capital from any of those sources. We have been over this endlessly.

This has more to do with getting in some more high picks than anything else. I am comfortable with that. How else are we going to get high quality on to our list. Josh Battle is a very good player. But it isn’t a game breaker losing him.
The backline held back the tide with him in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back