List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing to lose him. Hopefully we get band 1. If it ends up band 2 let’s see what they do with it first before we throw the toys out of the cot. May well end up a trade piece for something else. Potentially a Peatling type trade that boosts our midfield depth.
I like your positivity but that doesn’t alter the fact we would have been royally shafted. Two top 10 picks would give us even more options for example splitting our second pick and get two later in return in a deep draft.

Would be disappointed if the AFL can't manipulate it and just give us a first rounder.

We clearly need some extra talent around the middle, our under 25 core is pretty good, let us add some extras into that before tassie comes in.

AFL is so desperate for equalisation, just give us a first and be done with it.

Norf have been given so much charity for being a basketcase for a decade. We've been mid pack for 6-7 years and get absolutely dick for it.

Not copping a first for Battle on the back of Norf getting one for McKay on top of all their other bonuses AND with tassie coming in will just about do me.

Smaller clubs like us struggle to get the big FA's unless we chronically overpay.

With Battle, we drafted someone in the late 30's, gave him 8 years of development and he's developed into a genuinely good player... good enough that we were prepared to offer him $950k.. only to for him to walk to a bigger club for less.

End of the day, if we don't end up with a first rounder, all we are is a feeder club for the big clubs and we just get to go back to the draft and hope we can find another Josh Battle to eventually sell off at the farmers market in 10 years.

All his ex- team mates heading to Bali ... so he didn't have to face them?
Looking for reasons.
But the best one is he has a new kid and I doubt he’d be going off on a boys trip whether he was staying or not.

I'd be more concerned if Battle had gone to a club like Geelong, Swans, Pies, Blues etc.

You have to admire the Hawks this year with what they've done with what looked like so little. Good luck to them. But I'm not convinced they will automatically be like Top 4 next year. Other teams will go to work on their system and they'll cop a tougher draw. Sure they have plenty of young talent but they are still missing the A Graders. At least at the moment.

I wouldn't rule out the Saints finishing above them next year.

I don’t admire Hawthorn.

I hate them even more than I hate Geelong.

They have the Hawks baby care now to fill the void

So they’ve gone from “see a doctor and get rid of the kid” to “have the kid and we’ll look after it for you”

End of the day, if we don't end up with a first rounder, all we are is a feeder club for the big clubs and we just get to go back to the draft and hope we can find another Josh Battle to eventually sell off at the farmers market in 10 years.
This is where the president of the club needs to get vocal with as well.
Why should bottom clubs just become feeders to the big ones?

I'm on the Yipster's bandwagon until its announced we get an end of first

Can't be moping around with all the end is nigh doomsayers
Yes, it’s all a bit depressing tbh.
Nobody actually knows anything for certain, I’d warrant, whatever “mail” they’re hearing, even the so-called journos out there. It’s not being played out detail by detail in public.

My mother always told me it’s too soon to panic.

There’ll be enough time to vent IF in fact the worst does eventuate.

Yes, it’s all a bit depressing tbh.
Nobody actually knows anything for certain, I’d warrant, whatever “mail” they’re hearing, even the so-called journos out there. It’s not being played out detail by detail in public.

My mother always told me it’s too soon to panic.

There’ll be enough time to vent IF in fact the worst does eventuate.

To be honest, I'll just wait til the whole trade/draft period finishes and see where we land.

Not happy with Josh going to Hawthorn for potentially less money though. Not buying the whole family thing. It just feels like he wanted to be there to me, so honestly, I'm a bit pissed.

But as far as how the club is doing, there's a bit to happen before i pass judgement.

Last edited:
Regardless of what the pick ends up being, it pisses me off that we have to wait a month before we find out what we get for losing a top 10 player. I'd think the club would want to know what they have to work with during the trade period much earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be disappointed if the AFL can't manipulate it and just give us a first rounder. We clearly need some extra talent around the middle, our under 25 core is pretty good, let us add some extras into that before tassie comes in.

Norf have been given so much charity for being a basketcase for a decade. We've been mid pack for 6-7 years and get absolutely dick for it.

Not copping a first for Battle on the back of Norf getting one for McKay on top of all their other bonuses AND with tassie coming in will just about do me.

Smaller clubs like us struggle to get the big FA's unless we chronically overpay.

With Battle, we drafted someone in the late 30's, gave him 8 years of development and he's developed into a genuinely good player... good enough that we were prepared to offer him $950k.. only to for him to walk to a bigger club for less.

No they’re not. Not really.
They talk a big game but they’re in it for the $$$.

If they were so into equalisation, the “fix”ture, NGA and F/S stuff would look a lot different. Blind Freddy could see free agency would benefit the bigger clubs. Even Petracca has come out quite openly that he wants a big club. And he’s neither the first nor last.

It’s “good for football” dontcha know “when the Big clubs are in the finals.”
And stuff the minnows.

What financial and family reasons could there be if we've offered more money?
You watch the afl change the rules next year about contacting contracted players during the year. Mitchel did everything bar a give him a risty to get him over the line. We are going to be on the wrong side of another rule change

He's a professional sportsman in a professional sporting environment.

He (and the Saints) got a offer neither could refuse.

Band 1 compo for a 3rd defender is a huge win for the club.
Third talls ain’t what they used to be. He’s arguably a top 5 player now for us (which probably says a bit and says we can’t keep taking shortcuts).

Would be disappointed if the AFL can't manipulate it and just give us a first rounder.

We clearly need some extra talent around the middle, our under 25 core is pretty good, let us add some extras into that before tassie comes in.

I’m not really buying that, we haven’t really lost anyone of significance since the likes of Goddard and Dal and that was more because Waters pissed them all off.
We also had the reverse happen last year with Henry, probably worse for Freo because he’s younger. Could happen again with Houston.
We develop a squad that is a legitimate premiership chance and we can just as easily be a destination club again.
AFL just needs to treat all the clubs fairly irrespective of popularity. We will get band 1 on the merit of that contract, every club would.

Whatever happens, please don't use a first in any way shape or form on Houston. No splitting no nothing.

A player and a second is fine but please just use the firsts on guys we can hopefully have for 10+ years.

Serong on the Ruh Hour this arvo, about to be named an AA for the second time. Hill has been great but damn, Serong would've been elite.
Yup

The battle is over but the battle of the bands is only just beginning. It's going to be a long few weeks in here....

For weeks all that was reported was that it would be band 1 if he leaves. Then all of a sudden maybe its not. Feels like it's just another talking point drummed up to fill the endless hours of mind numbing trade radio.
Yep same with McKay last year. Journos are guessing, rules changed, cap changed. Just have to wait and see.

Hawks are good at steal from us. Cam McKenzie, battles, our requirements zone for decades. Fcuk they

I prefer Phillipou to McKenzie, but i clearly remember Clarkson bumping up Carlisle's salary the week before we signed him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back