List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

North obviously couldn't squeeze the best out of Taylor but maybe we have the structures in place to do so .... and the connections?

He has the skills to make it but seems to be that the desire is lacking ... maybe its a North problem ... but we seem to think that we can turn him around

Also he slid in his draft year as there were question marks around his "application at training"

More interesting though is comments from him below ....

“I was in the (AFL) Academy with Tarryn (Thomas) and Bailey Scott, so I had a relationship with them already.

Mason Wood is someone that I have been friends with for a while, so he has helped as well.”

Well ... there we have it ... the possible connection as to why we have some interest

Can he be developed into a HF Fritsch type ... too nimble for talls and too strong for smalls .... guess we will know soon enough
I mean, who the hell could be motivated playing in 100 point shellackings every week for a club as flavourless as North? At least when we were that rubbish we had the disco. These guys don't even have pokies! Bring him over let's spice up his life.

Seriously, how good would it be to turn another one of their discards into a footy star? While we are not vying for the cup, I will accept trolling Carlton and North.

No touching any Essendon players though, they have all been touched with the Witch's Beard and are evermore affected with Pigeonheart

Taylor is more a Higgins type inbetweener.

ctJkACJ.jpeg

His Size for an on-baller concerns me. Especially in our midfield we're becoming Dodoro's Essendon Midfield with all of these slight of frame mids.

Maybe a half backer or GWS type high half forward? He's got the tackling ability, work rate and pace. Just not sure he's going to put the size on to monster a centre bounce in the future.
Mate just watch him play, he’s a clearance and tackling machine.
He’s 6’1” in his first season, he’ll be fine - actually more than fine imo

Not sure where the Reeves talk is coming from but I see he signed a 3-year deal last year. Played 21 games in 2023 but only 4 this year - not sure if through injury or just being overtaken by someone else. Just based on the stats it looks like they played 2 rucks for most of 2023 but went just one for most of 2024 - so that might be a factor in whether they're willing to move him on, and what kind of price tag they put on him.

Meek was a good pick up for them and a much better ruck man. Reeves isn't terrible but he's not going to walk into the best 22 next year and dominate unless he has a miraculous off season.

Mate just watch him play, he’s a clearance and tackling machine.
He’s 6’1” in his first season, he’ll be fine - actually more than fine imo

That VFL game against Richmond was a potential look into his future. 34 touches, 3 goals, 12 tackles and 162 fantasy points. I don't think he even started on the ground. He's played 11 VFL games ranked over 100 fantasy points in 7 of them, 3 more in the 90s. His worst out put was 83.

Looks an absolute blue chip prospect. And yes he's a brutal tackling machine who is the same height as Lenny Hayes.

Good point - getting your best players to play for a few extra years is probably the best value way to improve the overall quality of the playing group.

On the flip side, early retirements are a killer, and we suffered our fair share of those. If guys like Roberton, Carlisle, Jack Steven, Koby Stevens and Armitage had longevity, they could very well have still been playing. Even Seb and Crouch have fizzled out way earlier than the current norm. It leaves a massive hole.
Agreed. Those early retirements have been a killer (not to mention McCartin!). On the flip side, I don't see how Collingwood wins the 2023 premiership without Sidebottom (32 at the time) and Pendlebury (35), plus Howe (33), Mihocek (30), Mitchell (30), Hoskin Elliott (30).

Agreed. Those early retirements have been a killer (not to mention McCartin!). On the flip side, I don't see how Collingwood wins the 2023 premiership without Sidebottom (32 at the time) and Pendlebury (35), plus Howe (33), Mihocek (30), Mitchell (30), Hoskin Elliott (30).

Geelong and Richmond also had a lot of players who had played a lot of games together. Not many flags are won by very young sides.

Meek was a good pick up for them and a much better ruck man. Reeves isn't terrible but he's not going to walk into the best 22 next year and dominate unless he has a miraculous off season.

Reeves probably on decent coin too. His deal was signed before the start of the 2023 season, likely under the assumption he would be the #1 ruck after Big Boy retired. Since then Meek has gone way past him and Ramsden is waiting in the wings. With their pending acquisitions it might make sense for them to get a bit of breathing room back into the cap for a guy on good money who is no longer best 22. We could do a lot worse.

Geelong and Richmond also had a lot of players who had played a lot of games together. Not many flags are won by very young sides.
It's no coincidence that we've been one of the four or five youngest sides for the last decade. It's OK to be young for a couple of years as part of a sharp rebuild, but being young for a decade is a clear sign of failure - your young players are getting cut before they ever get old. Even drafting players who have 10 year careers is for losers. Drafting players who have 15+ year careers, now that's when you're really getting serious.

He is an okay ruckman but he should dominate at that size. There is a bit of Tim Elliott about him but hopefully develops with age.
Maybe he’ll turn out as good for us as Big Boy turned out for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to play in a sports team with Reeves, he is massive. Has connections to the Hawks though, not sure how deep they run, his father was their CEO until he resigned last year.

From what I’ve seen at AFL level, he is imposing but doesn’t seem to really dominate despite his size, and that’s his only stand out attribute I’d say, but I haven’t seen him play much at the level.

Would be surprised if we grabbed him, perhaps as a stop gap between Marshall and Heath, and hope he comes on. It’s pretty clear we have been desperate for a ruck the last few years, Xerri was the one who got away ultimately and unfortunately.

No worries mate.

I’m the one sharing the info. I’m the one getting attacked when people hate it/disagree etc etc.

I’m also an active poster and have been for a number of years.

It isn’t a heap of fun posting something. Logging off. Coming back to 30+ notifications and some people are wildly having a crack. Or posters who disappeared come back on to have a crack directly at you saying you are full of shit - so when it comes out that it’s correct. Why shouldn’t I highlight that?
You should and ignore the haters keep putting forward your views
Some of us come to the site cause we have zero links to the club (except on handing out $) so it’s good to read any intel
Is it always right ? No but that’s ok things change
Carry on,

Honestly I respect Mase enough to be convinced, if he's the one telling our blokes to ask the question...
Would just about trust his call over a recruiting team!
Hard to imagine that Mason Wood delisted in 2020 by a bottom side would engender such respect and reverence from the St.Kilda faithful a few seasons later.
The guy wins best club man a couple of years ago, seems to take the kids under his wing and even into his home, have heard he goes out of his way to video review with the kids, and this is before we even talk about his contribution on the field.
Wood may never be an AA but teams and clubs are built around character and it would seem Wood has it in buckloads.

Can't think of a player from another club so embraced by Saints fans, especially a DFA. Maybe Roberton, but really not close.

I always thought Wood was a good fit for us when at the Roos. Happy he has gone so well and the club also recognises his worth with a 3 year contract.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on.

Every chance he does play senior football over the next three years. There could potentially be the go home factor. However, The Saints sound like a wonderful environment and workplace for the indigenous players. You can’t put a dollar value on that. Club seems to be doing very well off the field and this hasn’t always been the case.

There actually has not been any solid proof that Lance was wanting to go home. It was all speculation. In saying that, I was not expecting three years, so that’s a wonderful commitment from club and player.
It's really 2. Because it was his first year of 2.

Hard to imagine that Mason Wood delisted in 2020 by a bottom side would engender such respect and reverence from the St.Kilda faithful a few seasons later.
The guy wins best club man a couple of years ago, seems to take the kids under his wing and even into his home, have heard he goes out of his way to video review with the kids, and this is before we even talk about his contribution on the field.
Wood may never be an AA but teams and clubs are built around character and it would seem Wood has it in buckloads.

Can't think of a player from another club so embraced by Saints fans, especially a DFA. Maybe Roberton, but really not close.

I always thought Wood was a good fit for us when at the Roos. Happy he has gone so well and the club also recognises his worth with a 3 year contract.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I said earlier this week he should get co-captaincy with Cal Wilkie and I stand by that claim. A real leader.

Don't know anything much about Curtis Taylor but if Mason says yay, that's good enough for me. 😄

People are doubting the ability of Max King , it must be remembered the guy just turned 24.
Being a bean pole at 2.02m the guy really is only now ready to show what he has got.

The last 2 years have been wasted due to injury - last year late start to the year due to shoulder reconstruction , then he did it again.
This year showed glimpses /got reported / form far from great and injury again ended his year - ok injuries happen and his body language does not look good , but this guy has been in development and people don't care if we traded him out is mind blowing.

In his first couple years he showed he was one of the best contested marks in the AFL - 4th in 2021 and 3rd in 2022 , so we know the talents there and has shown it in a few games.

He could well be a bust but he currently has 2 yrs left on his contract , if he doesn't perform in the next 2yrs his next contract will be no world beater - so he is going to have every reason to turn it on.

We need a key forward and he is now at the age to show his best and with Sharman , Henry , Higgins , Owens we could go from battling to score goals to making it look like a picnic.

He could be our Trump card or he could be a bust , but these next 2 yrs on his contract will tell his future and the clubs.
And our Hail Mary kicks to the forward line doesn’t help. Feel like we have a better game plan now.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back