List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 8 and next year second round pick should do it

Honestly I’m strongly against using both our first round picks for Houston (presuming we get them) because we need midfielders not defenders, but it’s really hard to say a first and a second for him wouldn’t be a good deal in a vacuum. He’s undoubtably a gun.

I just don’t quite see what we do then having all three of Nas, Sincs and Houston. Both Sinclair and Houston can play midfield pretty well but are definitely better off at half back. As a SuperCoach player I remember there were people saying Port was going to try and turn Houston into a midfielder a couple of years ago but they quickly changed their mind with that one. Nas is mostly an unknown in that area but I wouldn’t want to move him with the rate he’s improving at. We have not had the best track record trying to turn defenders into midfielders.

Blindingly obvious that many on here haven’t watched Dan Houston play. He’s a star and I know everyone falls in love with the draft every year but picks are way overvalued in general. Pick 8 for Houston would be a bargain in a vacuum, which is why Port would probably never do it anyway.

Yes he’s a half back, but why not move him or NAS up the ground? Why not try and contend while Sinclair, Steele, Wilkie and Marshall are still around?
Because we still won’t get near contending. We’ve been here for a decade topping up with guys that have a third of their career to go.

Have you guys watched him play?

Of course everyone has watched him play, he is good but have a look at our list spread. Another HBF is the exact player we dont need, no matter how well he plays the positions. We have 12 or 13 players who can fill that posi and Sincs & NAS are better than Houston. WE NEED ELITE MIDFIELDERS its that simple. To give up a first rounder + for a 27yo flanker would be list suicide!.

Saints supporters seem to fall over themselves with the opportunity of bringing in a decent player no matter how relevant they would be to our list. Sinclair and NWM play their best footy at half back we wont be moving them.

Of course everyone has watched him play, he is good but have a look at our list spread. Another HBF is the exact player we dont need, no matter how well he plays the positions. We have 12 or 13 players who can fill that posi and Sincs & NAS are better than Houston. WE NEED ELITE MIDFIELDERS its that simple. To give up a first rounder + for a 27yo flanker would be list suicide!.

Saints supporters seem to fall over themselves with the opportunity of bringing in a decent player no matter how relevant they would be to our list. Sinclair and NWM play their best footy at half back we wont be moving them.
Yeah just looking at our list we need to bring in some bullocking mids and this seems like the perfect draft to do it. Nail 7/8 and it could set us up really well in a few years.

Having said that we are going to need an older Battle replacement. If they think Jai Serong can be a good player he might be perfect, clearly being squeezed out at Hawks.

Not opposed to the trading in Houston for a first (Battle compo) and future second.

We are a small club they struggles massively to attract marquee players. Here’s someone who has just gone back to back All Australian and somehow he’s a terrible fit?

All year we have banged on about needing more A-Grade talent.

Back to back All Australians the in the last 2 years - Daniel Houston, Errol Gulden, Marcus Bontempelli, Nick Daicos, Caleb Serong and Zak Butters.

Not bad company to be in.

Whats the story here?

Nothing startling just a general thing where they are talking about Mitchell's wife being actively involved in the recruiting process, showing new recruits the family side of the club.
But where i went to school 1 +1 = 3 or 7 or something.

Yeah just looking at our list we need to bring in some bullocking mids and this seems like the perfect draft to do it. Nail 7/8 and it could set us up really well in a few years.

Having said that we are going to need an older Battle replacement. If they think Jai Serong can be a good player he might be perfect, clearly being squeezed out at Hawks.

So Hawks clearly think he won't be a good player, otherwise they wouldn't be targetting players to squeeze him out.
Do i have confidence that we can develop a player the Hawks gave up on... Hell no.

Yep very much agree on your last para. Is it just trying to desperately trying to scrap some wins given the long history and the last decade? Scrapping around for bits and pieces and older guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not opposed to the trading in Houston for a first (Battle compo) and future second.

We are a small club they struggles massively to attract marquee players. Here’s someone who has just gone back to back All Australian and somehow he’s a terrible fit?

Back to back All Australians the in the last 2 years - Daniel Houston, Errol Gulden, Marcus Bontempelli, Nick Daicos, Caleb Serong and Zak Butters.

Every single bolded is a better fit than Houston.
Just because he may be available doesn't mean he is the right fit for us.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I simply cant believe that supporters cant see the big picture with Houston! Yes he is a very good player but have a look at the past two finals games, the team that dominated in the midfield got the ascendancy. We will finally have two excellent early picks and people are prepared to burn one plus something else on a 27yo flanker. Houston will give us 4 or 5 good years and in the interim we will still be looking for midfielders. To think he can magically become a midfielder is akin to Billings school of thinking it almost never works.

We have to give up this addiction of sugar fixes and build a list of quality kids. This is an excellent and very strong draft we need to trust the recruitment and list management team to get it right. To build the list with youth and then if there are cheaper top up players available by all means grab them.

Have a look at Hawthorn they have recruited and developed kids to fill their midfield then targetted a young under played ruckman Meek. All the forward line stars are kids apart from stop gap Chol. Now they have targetted two key defenders and will be flying for years. If we cant learn something from that then I give up, its just flabbergasting to read people are again looking for a quick fix - it doesnt happen.

Last edited:
The Hawks have built a really nice midfield through smart drafting haven't they? Worpel was pretty late, Newcombe mid season, Ward and Day high picks. I always thought they seemed a bit vanilla but they can win the ball and spread. Destroyed the Dogs last night.

They look years ahead of us in their rebuild now and are taking one of our best players. It's a bit depressing.

Just makes me think we need to keep nailing the draft. No short cuts. Have to be patient.

This.

They have built a very good team with canny recruitment, excellent development and good coaching.

It can be done. And I actually think we are finally on the right track. They are ahead of us but not as much as we think.

Just need to be patient. When things turn it can happen quickly.

No short cuts though. Keep drafting with the early picks. Be creative with later picks and lesser drafts.

Just on Houston, have a look at Port Adelaide the other night. 4 Gun mids that would walk into our side yet missing Houston and Farrell probably cost their ball movement and in turn the game. When we played Geelong we had 1 gun mid and got the job done.

Ports midfield were horrible and Geelongs midfield dominated - end of story!

Last edited:

I don’t want someone JUST because they are AA and a marquee player UNLESS he fills a definite need.
And in our case, he doesn’t.

Stay the course, people. We know what our needs are, don’t get swayed by the latest shiny, expensive toy (possibly) available.

*PS: How much stock do you put in the AA nonsense anyway when players like Marshall, Wilkie and NAS don’t even make the squad? Personally I think the whole thing is a farce. But that’s a story for another day.

Last edited:
This.

They have built a very good team with canny recruitment, excellent development and good coaching.

It can be done. And I actually think we are finally on the right track. They are ahead of us but not as much as we think.

Just need to be patient. When things turn it can happen quickly.

No short cuts though. Keep drafting with the early picks. Be creative with later picks and lesser drafts.
Spot on. The Hawks themselves are a great example of hoe quickly things can turn. Just keep adding young talent. When we got Ross Bassett said the group we’d be building around was King, NAS, Owens, Windhager. I wouldn’t worry about media hacks linking us with Shiel and the like every year.

Houston's a quality player but it's a classic case of "is the juice worth the squeeze". Is a high quality player in a position where we're already well stocked worth the one or two high draft picks, that's a no for me. Wrong age bracket, too high a cost, too little addressing of needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back