List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

You can guarantee he agreed to a deal with the cats 6 months ago.
You can also guarantee they bought him a house or a farm as per their standard playbook

Yes the unknown part of the deal is what the Cats will pay for him. Their rise up the ladder makes its harder for them to get offer a pick/s that the Dogs will be satisfied with. So Cats might have to get creative.

I don't think he's quite the player we want to sell the farm for either.
It has to be remembered this kid is 23 has miss this year due to injury,
and if you are comparing ability he has shown far more than Petracca did at the same age.
At 22 he was averaging over 529m gained per game and averaging 29 touches a game , not bad for a kid nowhere near a finished product.
His next 6 years he will be in his prime.

If we were going after DeGoey I really feel Smith would be a far better pickup and less risk his value would be one first round pick if Geelong think they are getting him for there first round pick which will be around 15 our pick 8 would get it done probably with next years 2nd round pick.

He is what we need , a midfielder and he would be our best mid if playing for us.

I don't care if we get him or not but we should be after players like that.

So by the time he plays again those highlights are three years old and he has had an acl.

Dont even know why you are so het up about this, he is off to Geelong, why bother wasting your energy by calling people idiots and trying to win some strange pissing contest on a player never in our picture.

Weird.

Weird post this one.

It’s more the typical attitude amongst many posters that unless a player is flawless they’re not worth our time or effort.

If we had a kid with Bailey Smiths talent, work rate and output in their first 100 games on our list we’d be pulling ourselves silly over him.

Now as for the pissing contest, I win

bailey smith?

The Goldbergs What GIF by ABC Network

i mean absolute disrespect to anyone who doesn’t think Smith is worth one of our first rounders this year, you’re all idiots.

He’s a game breaking 23 year old mid, who has an appetite for hard work and gives us an inside/out player with 10 years of footy in front of him.

Completely mismanaged by bevo since they lost to the dees but he is exactly the type of mid we’re trying to draft.

He’s not a Ben Cousins level drug addict, he got caught doing a line of coke.

Beyond that, he's a membership teams wet dream as he’s the most marketable player in the comp.

It’s a shame he’s not interested in coming
Couldn’t give a rats arse about him personally, but that’s just me. Especially don’t give a crap about his ‘marketability’.

Don’t want him, never have the hundred other times it’s come up on this forum going back couple of seasons now.

Don’t think anyone is saying he isn’t a capable player though. One FRDP is about right, but would be very indifferent about it tbh - just my opinion on the matter, which is probably a moot point anyway.

Last edited:
i mean absolute disrespect to anyone who doesn’t think Smith is worth one of our first rounders this year, you’re all idiots.

He’s a game breaking 23 year old mid, who has an appetite for hard work and gives us an inside/out player with 10 years of footy in front of him.

Completely mismanaged by bevo since they lost to the dees but he is exactly the type of mid we’re trying to draft.

He’s not a Ben Cousins level drug addict, he got caught doing a line of coke.

Beyond that, he's a membership teams wet dream as he’s the most marketable player in the comp.

It’s a shame he’s not interested in coming
Absolutely crazy if we haven’t talked to him, if he was entertaining moving to a lousy hawthorn then why not st Kilda. I hear the Geelong rumours but they still need to be able to get a trade over the line and they will struggle imo. He’s young enough and good enough to happily fork out a 1st on.

Last edited:
Yet they aren't

They rack up some big disposal numbers but what is their true impact?

For one thing they don't kick many goals

Very comparable to some Essington mids if you ask me
Have to disagree.

For score involvements they are 8th (Brayshaw), 14th (Young) & 18th (Serong). Merrett (who is clearly elite) the only injector close at 13th, then Caldwell at 41st.

Centre clearances Serong 4th in the comp, Young 8th, Merrett and Brayshaw 18 & 19 respectively.

Disposals Young and Brayshaw are 8th and 9th.

Total clearances Serong 3rd, Brayshaw and Young 22 & 27, Caldwell closest at 37.

Whichever way you slice it all three are very good to elite players.

Have to disagree.

For score involvements they are 8th (Brayshaw), 14th (Young) & 18th (Serong). Merrett (who is clearly elite) the only injector close at 13th, then Caldwell at 41st.

Centre clearances Serong 4th in the comp, Young 8th, Merrett and Brayshaw 18 & 19 respectively.

Disposals Young and Brayshaw are 8th and 9th.

Total clearances Serong 3rd, Brayshaw and Young 22 & 27, Caldwell closest at 37.

Whichever way you slice it all three are very good to elite players.
Who are the midfield engine of a team that ain't playing Finals .... a team that also includes other All Australian squad players

Great numbers ... but the impact?

If that midfield combo of Brayshaw, Serong and Young are that good .... why aren't Freo playing Finals?
Their coach wants to play a boring brand like we do.

Who are the midfield engine of a team that ain't playing Finals .... a team that also includes other All Australian squad players

Great numbers ... but the impact?
Tell me how you’d quantify impact?

They missed finals imo due to;
Player availability
Sputtering forwardline
Average coaching

Bailey Smith would be a great acquisition, but unfortunately, there's a 0% chance of it happening.

Our best chance of strengthening the midfield through trades lies in exchanging future second-round picks, such as Jack Steele and Liam Henry.

Being a small club, I’m just not sure if we’re ever gonna to be in a position to land a superstar mid.

Peatling for a future second-round pick seems about right.

You watched much of our last 2 months?
can't ignore the previous 2 months to that though, some of the worst footy I've ever seen

If we had a chance at Bailey, hell yeah you'd take it, but as others have said, we won't have that chance...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith would be a great acquisition, but unfortunately, there's a 0% chance of it happening.

Our best chance of strengthening the midfield through trades lies in exchanging future second-round picks, such as Jack Steele and Liam Henry.

Being a small club, I’m just not sure if we’re ever gonna to be in a position to land a superstar mid.

Peatling for a future second-round pick seems about right.
Not until we’re a consistent top four team. Which will probably be never

can't ignore the previous 2 months to that though, some of the worst footy I've ever seen

If we had a chance at Bailey, hell yeah you'd take it, but as others have said, we won't have that chance...
I didn’t watch the previous 2 months and think Ross wasn’t trying to atttack. I watched it thinking our ability to execute is dreadful

You watched much of our last 2 months?
I watched the whole season and once again we finished 15th for scoring for the year. Last two months was encouraging but I’d like to see it for a full season before getting carried away with it.

Tell me how you’d quantify impact?

They missed finals imo due to;
Player availability
Sputtering forwardline
Average coaching
No Finals 2 years in a row ... with all 3 playing maximum amount of games

Good midfields find a way to overcome setbacks and lead their teams to victory

As stated their impact in terms of hitting the scoreboard is substandard ... last 2 years 136 games between all 3 of them for 47 goals in total

I want my gun mids or at least a few of them kicking goals

Bontempelli .... last 2 years .... 47 games for 51 goals
Naicos - 45 games for 39 goals
Petracca - 38 games for 42 goals
Rozee - 46 games for 33 goals
McCluggage - 49 games 30 goals
Treloar - 42 games 29 goals
Butters - 49 games 26 goals
Anderson - 46 games 27 goals

Then you got Heeney ... this year alone playing as a mid - 22 games for 31 goals

And Warner - 22 games for 33 goals

My comparison with Essington mids stands given their mids don't kick goals either ... and yep they don't make finals as well

On the flipside .... top teams like Geelong & GWS who do make more Finals than not are very reliant on their forwardlines kicking goals and not so much their mids .... hold their forwardlines and you more than likely win ... same with Freo & the Dopers

Last edited:
No Finals 2 years in a row ... with all 3 playing maximum amount of games

Good midfields find a way to overcome setbacks and lead their teams to victory

As stated their impact in terms of hitting the scoreboard is substandard ... last 2 years 136 games between all 3 of them for 47 goals in total

I want my gun mids or at least a few of them kicking goals

Bontempelli .... last 2 years .... 47 games for 51 goals
Naicos - 45 games for 39 goals
Petracca - 38 games for 42 goals
Rozee - 46 games for 33 goals
McCluggage - 49 games 30 goals
Treloar - 42 games 29 goals
Butters - 49 games 26 goals
Anderson - 46 games 27 goals

Then you got Heeney ... this year alone playing as a mid - 22 games for 31 goals

And Warner - 22 games for 33 goals

My comparison with Essington mids stands given their mids don't kick goals either ... and yep they don't make finals as well

On the flipside .... top teams like Geelong & GWS who do make more Finals than not are very reliant on their forwardlines kicking goals .... hold their forwardlines and you more than likely win ... same with Freo & the Dopers
I agree on the goal front, add goals and that’s Brownlow areas.

On the forwardline, that’s my point re: sputtering and poor coaching

H

Hugo went to a private school lol.
However I like you analogy 😉

Heard on the radio today that the Melbourne Storm send all their players out to do some manual labour on job sites so that they harden up and don't whinge when they have to go to training. I might be less full of shit than I actually am.

I agree on the goal front, add goals and that’s Brownlow areas.

On the forwardline, that’s my point re: sputtering and poor coaching
I guess we will find out once Bolton is added to their forwardline ... he will definitely add spark... still I would prefer to see Serong & Brayshaw hit the scoreboard more often ..... actually ..... I most definitely wouldn't 🤣

Good players but they are still a rung below the best mids in the game and not worth 2 first rounders

I watched the whole season and once again we finished 15th for scoring for the year. Last two months was encouraging but I’d like to see it for a full season before getting carried away with it.
There’s lots of equating the last couple of months with what will happen in 2025. Doesn’t work that way. We’ve done this trick before - 2021 for one and perhaps 2018? Late flourish and then same old.

There’s lots of equating the last couple of months with what will happen in 2025. Doesn’t work that way. We’ve done this trick before - 2021 for one and perhaps 2018? Late flourish and then same old.
It's the same logic. 2018 and 2021 have no relevance either.
Our biggest issue is mass injuries just prior to season's start. Sort that out and we'll be a lot better.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back