List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there gonna be any trades to get excited about this year?

I'm a new Saints fan and don't really know how it all works.
Nah, you'd be better off investing your emotional energy in the draft this year. Anyone that costs us a draft pick is not of interest to us, as tempting as they might be. About time we stopped trying to prove to ourselves that we can be a destination club. Let's just grow our own and if we do that properly, the sardines will follow the trawler, as one of your greats once said ;)

On SEN just before - Sam Edmund reporting saints offering Houston a lucrative contact, the word out of Port Adelaide though is he potentially more keen or Carlton.

Apparently - Richmond don’t want 5-6 first round picks in this years draft - Carlton maybe able to trade with Richmond to get Houston.

Interesting times!

Melbourne discussing Tim Membrey, as is North Melbourne.
IF it is true that that Saints are offering Houston a lucrative contract, (and I take anything Smartarse Edmund says with a pinch of salt), I pray that SOS is only doing that to force Carlton to increase their offer and put pressure on their cap or list, knowing that Houston would favour a "Big Club" so no real danger of the offer being accepted, but the Blues can't take that chance. A crafty move that may benefit us down the track.

The only other acceptable alternative are that either:
*we are looking for a straight trade for one of our players that we are indifferent about moving on or who is keen to move that actually has currency.
or
*we are trying to trade future picks and merely kick starting our trade plans for next off season this year

If we are looking to trade this year's draft picks for him then I think SOS is a fool and should step down.

Devils advocate, we trade our Battle compo for Houston. We draft a mid with 7.

Our list improves to the point of contention/top 6 next season.

We attract LDU/other free agents that allow us to continue to go to the draft with our first rounder…

We don’t go after Houston, we finish 6-12th again. We miss all big FAs but have two 19 year old mids.

What would you rather?
Rather finish 6-12th, build a cohesive unit that consistently challenges for premierships over a significant period of time a few years later. Top ups are for teams missing a couple of pieces of a puzzle, we're not that yet.

BTW, which year's drafts will be compromised by Tasmania Devils being gifted picks?

What do you mean never will? His preseadon was wrecked, this year.

You go back to final quarters for the past month of the game and Clark's impact was huge.
I think this tog stat is just a stick to best him with and just and excuse in my opinion.
The fact is our midfield was significantly better with him there.
As for other midfields
Richmond
North
Adelaide
West Coast
Essendon
Freo and probably half the top eight.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats comical - you have found your calling Joff! Stand up...

Clark has had 8 preseasons and his running capacities nor his physique for that matter have improved. How many more do you think he will need before he peaks? Any way this a trade thread lets agree to disagree.

Rather finish 6-12th, build a cohesive unit that consistently challenges for premierships over a significant period of time a few years later. Top ups are for teams missing a couple of pieces of a puzzle, we're not that yet.

BTW, which year's drafts will be compromised by Tasmania Devils being gifted picks?
It said they may enter the VFL first either next year or 2026 and thenwnter the AFL in 2028 so assuming 2027 draft they will have picks

Gold Coast started playing in 2011 and were in the 2010 draft .... they were also allowed to recruit 1 uncontracted player from each club .... when is Arie out of contract?

That maggot Tom Morris reckons the Bulldogs are going to ask for a high pick for a 31 y.o VFL regular.
If we can't get him for cheap, we should give it a hard pass.
Imagine selling our future with say pick 8 on a stop gap player. Sounds so very Saints.
If we are giving up capital much prefer it on Houston. A late second would be about right for McRae.

That maggot Tom Morris reckons the Bulldogs are going to ask for a high pick for a 31 y.o VFL regular.
Imagine selling our future with say pick 8 on a stop gap player. Sounds so very Saints.
If we are giving up capital much prefer it on Houston. A late second would be about right for McRae.

No more than a 3rd rounder for mine

Surly not. Past 30, on big money and not in their 22. You'd think they would help facilitate a trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely crazy if we haven’t talked to him, if he was entertaining moving to a lousy hawthorn then why not st Kilda. I hear the Geelong rumours but they still need to be able to get a trade over the line and they will struggle imo. He’s is young enough and good enough to happily fork out a 1st on.
Will probably miss out on him because he is attracted to another team for a reason , but as trade day draws closer we may see a couple good players moved due to clubs needing high draft picks to get the players they want in.
Smith
Bolton
Baker
Oliver ?
Petracca ?
Pickett ?
Perryman
So would McRae have a better chance playing in a Saints or Cats midfield regularly?

Well he said he wants out and we need a quality replacement for Crouch and Ross - I fully expect he could be wearing a Saints jumper next year - 2nd round pick would do it knowing he is out of favor at the Dogs and they will have a salary dump.
Turns 31 next year so will be retired by the time our kids have taken up the slack.

Bulldogs don't look like they are desperate to keep him .... they will get huge SC space ... barely worth a 3rd rounder given his age ... if that

Thats comical - you have found your calling Joff! Stand up...

Clark has had 8 preseasons and his running capacities nor his physique for that matter have improved. How many more do you think he will need before he peaks? Any way this a trade thread lets agree to disagree.

Not worried about his physique. Agree he really needs to work hard on building his endurance.

To blame all his injuries on fitness is harsh though, considering the horrible face injuries he's had just from being a gutsy footballer.

If he could build his tank, it would help immensely. Needs to have it really put on him this preseason.

what did josh bruce cost them? shouldnt be any where near that.

Surly not. Past 30, on big money and not in their 22. You'd think they would help facilitate a trade
Morris does talk shit. He didn't give a source from the Bulldogs so may just be a stock answer because he is contracted.
We will see I suppose.

Dan Houston is the second best kick inside 50 in the comp according to champion data. An area where we were diabolical for much of the season

I don't know McRae so can someone tell me: is he better than Seb Ross and if so, how?
Yeah probably but he isn't going to change our destiny. Good solid mid, more of an accumulator knock on him is he isn't damaging enough. He is an upgrade on Ross and Crouch not by a huge amount though.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back