List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure Houston takes a team very close to fifth last all the way to Top 6. I’m not even sure Bont makes anywhere near that difference.

Our injuries made us uncompetitive. One player won’t fix us but having a good injury run will and adding elite talent when they can potentially help step you forward is good business.

We're already great at rebounding the ball from the backline and getting it to our 50.
That's analogous to shooting with Pistols and always giving your opponent the first shot.

Would be nice to win it out of the middle sometimes.

Oh and did anyone mention Houston will cost a first round pick?
I didn’t mention his rebounding game, I referenced his ability to hit targets inside 50.

The argument at port was that his midfield coach wanted him in the middle, and the backline coach wanted him in the d50. With Rozee, JHF, Butters, Wines and Drew the kept him in the backline for team balance.

Midfield is much less important these days. You can get away with one really good one a few quality rotations. Rebound and outside run is where you can add more avenues. Losing Battle hurts at least short term. Bringing in an elite backman means we probably upgrade Battle and we still get to pick up a top pick with our pick 7. It’s not the worst idea. We are at least a step closer to top 4.
Hadn't really give that much thought, but that may well be a fair observation. Still think it is important but we showed with a fit average midfield we could easily match it with Sydney, Geelong, and Carlton. Depth is our issue, a couple of injuries and we couldn't score over 70 and had to adjust to make every game an unwatchable scrap.

It remains to be seen what type of loss Battle is. I said before if we managed Houston for Battles compo, I would not be upset, its not like Houston is a spud.

We would have the most elite half back line in the league with Sinclair, Houston and Naz.

As a former delisted free agent I don’t think there is any compo involved.
But if his contract with us is done, does that mean he can just go for nothing?
Just having a look for Macrae scenarios.

You do get compo for former DFAs. You just can’t match their deals as being delisted previously means they’re always an unrestricted free agent (as Battle was - though his free agency status was due to his salary).

I can only agree. Midfield has been our problem since last time when we were a contender. Two early picks in a midfielders draft presents a an opportunity to turn this around.

We need one absolute gun not bulk. Can really only play a few in one side. Steele, Phillipou and fit Dow. Windhager, Jones, Clark as depth. Garcia and whoever we draft. Possibly Macrae or Parker. It’s getting a point where there is depth and cover. We really need to make this draft one where we find an elite talent

Midfield is much less important these days. You can get away with one really good one

One really good one, makes the team very susceptible to a tag.

a few quality rotations.

Disagree. Starting much of many games effectively on our HBF is a huge disadvantage for us.

Rebound and outside run is where you can add more avenues.

We have Henry, Sincs, Nasiah, Wilson, Hill , Wood, Byrnes and others for rebound and outside run.

What we need above all else is more class in the midfield. Well if you want to become a Top 4 Team we do that is.

Besides picks 7 and 8 does not mean that we are very likely to get TWO very good mids. It means that our chances of getting ONE very good mid are good. Two will be a very good bonus, but should not be expected.

You do get compo for former DFAs. You just can’t match their deals as being delisted previously means they’re always an unrestricted free agent (as Battle was - though his free agency status was due to his salary).
appreciate the clarification.

Yeah probably but he isn't going to change our destiny. Good solid mid, more of an accumulator knock on him is he isn't damaging enough. He is an upgrade on Ross and Crouch not by a huge amount though.
Stopgap and big body until Pou, Garcia and our new midfield draftees come on.

* And Windy.

Last edited:
People on here seem to think he's the same player he was 2 years ago. There's a reason he's in the VFL. He's a slow mid that whilst can find a fair bit of the pill has probably been damaging in a handful of games in his whole career.
At St.Kilda he will take a spot of a kid and do nothing for the future of our list.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richards pushed him out. Also developing Sanders as an inside mid longer term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need one absolute gun not bulk. Can really only play a few in one side. Steele, Phillipou and fit Dow. Windhager, Jones, Clark as depth. Garcia and whoever we draft. Possibly Macrae or Parker. It’s getting a point where there is depth and cover. We really need to make this draft one where we find an elite talent
Agree with this, and then you get to the point where one of your prized draft picks is toiling in the VFL for 18-24 months while a Houston type has played 44 games of elite level AFL.

I’m absolutely fine with taking 7 to the draft to pick a mid and trading 8 for Houston.

Our midfielders next year Steele, Windhager, Phillipou, Pick 7, Macrae, Peatling, Clark, Garcia. That’s not including Nas, Sinclair or Wilson. Nor
Is it including Clark or Jones.

If we still need mids, and we can’t attract one via free agency then we go again at the draft the next season.

Exactly what we require. Crouch probably gone, Seb gone, Jones, Dow and Clark injury prone. We need decent depth in the mids with good players there.
We just dont have that at the moment.

People on here seem to think he's the same player he was 2 years ago. There's a reason he's in the VFL. He's a slow mid that whilst can find a fair bit of the pill has probably been damaging in a handful of games in his whole career.
At St.Kilda he will take a spot of a kid and do nothing for the future of our list.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kids need at least one big body around them. That’s what Crouch would have been had he been playing next year. Can’t have a complete midfield of kids.

Yeah probably but he isn't going to change our destiny. Good solid mid, more of an accumulator knock on him is he isn't damaging enough. He is an upgrade on Ross and Crouch not by a huge amount though.
Yes he’s more durable, gets more of the ball and uses it better
Contested possessions.
More like Crouch than Ross.
I look at it this way, I would 100% prefer Jack Macrae to Seb Ross on our list.

Dalrymple drafted Jackson didn't he? He's never had elite speed, but he is classy and elusive and runs all day. He works the angles particularly well and would fit into Lyons game plan exceptionally well.

I am concerned that most players who don't nominate a team don't do so because they are still playing finals. Getting a 30 year old with a few more litres in the tank is a very Cats thing to do.

If he wanted us, I'd be over the moon.
Sold!

At whatever we have after the pick we got for Josh Bruce.

A "we will take I'm off your hands" type deal, hopefully Gubby is romancing his manager as we speak

I look at it this way, I would 100% prefer Jack Macrae to Seb Ross on our list.

Dalrymple drafted Jackson didn't he? He's never had elite speed, but he is classy and elusive and runs all day. He works the angles particularly well and would fit into Lyons game plan exceptionally well.

I am concerned that most players who don't nominate a team don't do so because they are still playing finals. Getting a 30 year old with a few more litres in the tank is a very Cats thing to do.

If he wanted us, I'd be over the moon.

Contracted so his salary is fixed. Cats will schmooze him, so will we. He'll choose us, so the cats will go to the Dogs and offers some stupid draft pick. Then we'll be forced to cough it up.

Thanks for this info.

Like Smith, he hasn't nominated because he will be asked to be traded to Geelong. They think they can get both Smith and McRae for one pick and pay them peppercorn salary because they give players money off the books sanctioned by Laura Kane and dickhead Dillon.

McCrae is contracted so he has to be transparently paid his actual salary.

Agree with this, and then you get to the point where one of your prized draft picks is toiling in the VFL for 18-24 months while a Houston type has played 44 games of elite level AFL.

I’m absolutely fine with taking 7 to the draft to pick a mid and trading 8 for Houston.

Our midfielders next year Steele, Windhager, Phillipou, Pick 7, Macrae, Peatling, Clark, Garcia. That’s not including Nas, Sinclair or Wilson. Nor
Is it including Clark or Jones.

If we still need mids, and we can’t attract one via free agency then we go again at the draft the next season.
I think they will want to start running Wilson through the mids as well. Also I think Henry will get a run on occasions and Stocker to do the tagging job he did pretty well a few times.

Houston is absolute quality and would definitely be in our top 5 players, so wouldn't be keeping a young one out, however it might spell big trouble for young Hastie if we recruit Houston.

I think they will want to start running Wilson through the mids as well. Also I think Henry will get a run on occasions and Stocker to do the tagging job he did pretty well a few times.

Houston is absolute quality and would definitely be in our top 5 players, so wouldn't be keeping a young one out, however it might spell big trouble for young Hastie if we recruit Houston.
Hastie has shown flashes but nothing more to this stage, if he’s good enough he’ll make it whether we do or don’t have Houston but I agree with your post entirely.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back