List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was that good Hawthorn would of used him instead of getting Battle.

He's not at Battles level, but he is only 21 and only just switched to defence after being a slight forward growing up.

Remember Battle has only really come into his own in the past couple of years and was not looking like an elite defender at 21. Look at Jai's season and tell me he isn't on a massive upward trajectory.

I think Phillips is probably more like for like with Frost out this week. Either way, I think he'd be as good as anyone to replace Battle in coming years.

Dan Houston is the second best kick inside 50 in the comp according to champion data. An area where we were diabolical for much of the season

We're already great at rebounding the ball from the backline and getting it to our 50.
That's analogous to shooting with Pistols and always giving your opponent the first shot.

Would be nice to win it out of the middle sometimes.

Oh and did anyone mention Houston will cost a first round pick?

I look at it this way, I would 100% prefer Jack Macrae to Seb Ross on our list.

Dalrymple drafted Jackson didn't he? He's never had elite speed, but he is classy and elusive and runs all day. He works the angles particularly well and would fit into Lyons game plan exceptionally well.

I am concerned that most players who don't nominate a team don't do so because they are still playing finals. Getting a 30 year old with a few more litres in the tank is a very Cats thing to do.

If he wanted us, I'd be over the moon.

if Macrae's cost is less than our pick 25, do it, easy decision, he brings with him another system and experience, not to mention the few years of playing time

Last edited:
You can dance around the decisions any way you like in reality both were shockers. Injuries is just an excuse for these two - neither have the drive or the attributes to be above average players and both were waisted selections. Clark gets injured because he has zero endurance and is constantly fatigued hence the 55% TOG we now use him. Coffield was never anything other than a battling medium sized defender, both were shocking decisions in a very poor draft year.
So that’s the cause of having his entire face rearranged and then his nose as well on another occasion? An ACL for Coff? Yeah, how weak.
🙄

Last edited:
That maggot Tom Morris reckons the Bulldogs are going to ask for a high pick for a 31 y.o VFL regular.
If we can't get him for cheap, we should give it a hard pass.
Imagine selling our future with say pick 8 on a stop gap player. Sounds so very Saints.
If we are giving up capital much prefer it on Houston. A late second would be about right for McRae.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Future 3rd - we need our picks this year

I don't know McRae so can someone tell me: is he better than Seb Ross and if so, how?
People on here seem to think he's the same player he was 2 years ago. There's a reason he's in the VFL. He's a slow mid that whilst can find a fair bit of the pill has probably been damaging in a handful of games in his whole career.
At St.Kilda he will take a spot of a kid and do nothing for the future of our list.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like Smith, he hasn't nominated because he will be asked to be traded to Geelong. They think they can get both Smith and McRae for one pick and pay them peppercorn salary because they give players money off the books sanctioned by Laura Kane and dickhead Dillon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People on here seem to think he's the same player he was 2 years ago. There's a reason he's in the VFL. He's a slow mid that whilst can find a fair bit of the pill has probably been damaging in a handful of games in his whole career.
At St.Kilda he will take a spot of a kid and do nothing for the future of our list.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ahhh yes, he is one of those dogwater 3 x AA's

I have gone off the idea of McRae. Happy to just roll with midfield of Steele, Pou, Clark, Windhager, Jones & Garcia next year if we can't land a gun.

Maybe Wilson and Henry can take some centre clearances next year.

Finally, we may have 1 or even 2 potential mids we recruit next year. Not sure McRae moves the needle much if at all at this stage of his career.

That maggot Tom Morris reckons the Bulldogs are going to ask for a high pick for a 31 y.o VFL regular.
If we can't get him for cheap, we should give it a hard pass.
Imagine selling our future with say pick 8 on a stop gap player. Sounds so very Saints.
If we are giving up capital much prefer it on Houston. A late second would be about right for McRae.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Highly doubt the club are considering Houston.
Goes against everything said (often) about going to the draft.

Highly doubt we’d be prepared to give up too much for McCrae at all if we took on his contract.

If Crouch is really done, I’m very open to taking him. ( Dependent on his recent injury history - which I admit I know nothing about)

Houston would improve our team but I agree lets not waste cap space on him when we have more important FA targets next year. I have a feeling our offer is simply high money+low trade offer (second rounder) to get Carlton to squeeze their cap space more as they will be able to satisfy Ports want of a first rounder. I think (and hope) this is 4D chess by SOS

I think that’s what we all hope for. But considering Port’s ambit claim of wanting two first rounders then I’d be surprised if we were only offering a second rounder (if in fact we are interested).

But who knows. Maybe the cost of trading for Houston (draft capital) is less than we think.

I agree with you, and most of our contributors, that Houston is not a need. Nice player, but not someone who fits into our age demographic or who fills a glaring weakness in our list.

With Tasmania hitting the draft in 2026 this is our time to get in to the draft and flood the list with young talent. We should be especially protective of our first round picks because from 2026 we go to the back of the queue as Tasmania dominates the pointy end of the draft.

Who’s paying a second rounder/ a contract big enough for 2nd round compo for Membrey?
As a former delisted free agent I don’t think there is any compo involved.
But if his contract with us is done, does that mean he can just go for nothing?

Bringing in Houston is robbing Peter to pay Paul. The only way it works is if you push NWM up the ground. I'd love to see us bring in 2 top level mids and give them the keys to the midfield with Phillipou. I think its a much more attractive prospect having a young and exciting midfield with real upside, as opposed to Houston down back.

Midfield is much less important these days. You can get away with one really good one a few quality rotations. Rebound and outside run is where you can add more avenues. Losing Battle hurts at least short term. Bringing in an elite backman means we probably upgrade Battle and we still get to pick up a top pick with our pick 7. It’s not the worst idea. We are at least a step closer to top 4.

As a former delisted free agent I don’t think there is any compo involved.
But if his contract with us is done, does that mean he can just go for nothing?
Yeah you are right, I think he just goes where ever he likes and we get nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back