List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If we pay 90%+ of Macrae’s contract then a 3rd will easily get the deal over the line. If we pay less than that then I can see the Dogs wanting a 2nd instead.

I’ll happily go with the former scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Why wouldn’t we pay it all and give up rubbish picks only…We literally could pay the reminder of his contract in full next year.

Why wouldn’t we pay it all and give up rubbish picks only…We literally could pay the reminder of his contract in full next year.

Oh I 100% agree with you, but I don’t personally know what the list management team would be thinking regarding salary cap space.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He got 30 once this year and his next best was 25 .... and they were both early in the season

With him in the side it pushes someone out ..... Hugo might not get a senior game

Averaged 43 touches and 6 tackles in his 3 VFL games this year.

Taking away his 4 games where he started as a sub he still averaged a respectable 21 disposals a game, whilst being mainly squeezed out of the Dogs midfield.

Macrae has averaged 30 possessions over his career, our best mid is Steele, who has never had a season where he has averaged 30. Steele averaged 24 touches a game this year as our highest averaging midfielder. I've (conveniently skipped Sinclair because of his hbf role).

Steele needs help, mature experienced help. Crouch is closer to the paralympics than a game with us and Ross is gone.

I'm absolutely of the opinion that Macrae has a lot to offer still and he is exactly what Steele and our inexperienced midfield needs.

Averaged 43 touches and 6 tackles in his 3 VFL games this year.

Taking away his 4 games where he started as a sub he still averaged a respectable 21 disposals a game, whilst being mainly squeezed out of the Dogs midfield.

Macrae has averaged 30 possessions over his career, our best mid is Steele, who has never had a season where he has averaged 30. Steele averaged 24 touches a game this year as our highest averaging midfielder. I've (conveniently skipped Sinclair because of his hbf role).

Steele needs help, mature experienced help. Crouch is closer to the paralympics than a game with us and Ross is gone.

I'm absolutely of the opinion that Macrae has a lot to offer still and he is exactly what Steele and our inexperienced midfield needs.
Fsir enough ..... but who does he push out of our starting 22?

It's a valid question, it's not obvious based on what us fans want to see, guys like Dow, Clark, Stocker, Byrnes, Garcia etc to succeed. Someone may be squeezed out but depth and competition for spots is super important for the club.

Obviously injuries will occur to open up spots but we need experience in there, we simply cannot go another year with Steele going at it alone.

Whoever is injured at the time 🙄
Unfortunately, we have form with this.

It's a valid question, it's not obvious based on what us fans want to see, guys like Dow, Clark, Stocker, Byrnes, Garcia etc to succeed. Someone may be squeezed out but depth and competition for spots is super important for the club.

Obviously injuries will occur to open up spots but we need experience in there, we simply cannot go another year with Steele going at it alone.
Steele wasn't going it alone at the end of this season when were winning games without thr experienced Crouch & Ross

Granted Jones .... given his age .... but he hit a nice patch of form as well

I understand and am onboard for the experience wise old head factor, guidance and depth side though I would hate to see him take the spot of a younger player ...that includes Clark, Dow, Phillipou, Wilson, Stocker, Byrnes, Windy, Garcia or any other younger developing players in need of senior experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People on here seem to think he's the same player he was 2 years ago. There's a reason he's in the VFL. He's a slow mid that whilst can find a fair bit of the pill has probably been damaging in a handful of games in his whole career.
At St.Kilda he will take a spot of a kid and do nothing for the future of our list.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He won back to back to back All Australian jerseys not that long ago and was an elite midfielder.

Like many others he’s been Bevo’d, to say he’s only been damaging in a handful of games is absolutely wrong.

He would be a great get for us, good depth if nothing else. He can still absolutely rack up the footy, pace or no pace will run all day.

Our midfield sucks and we need all the help we can get, whether they’re 30 or 18.

He's a freak and vitally important to our success going forward IMO. Yes his endurance sucks and always has, but it's telling that they'd prefer to manage his minutes rather than ask him to work up a better fitness base in the twos. Without exaggeration his ball handling is as good as anyone I've ever seen. Dual sided, very composed, can lack awareness at times, but he is unpredictable ball in hand and puts it to advantage more often than not.

He is 25 but I still think we've only scratched the surface, fingers crossed he gets a good run at it next year. Listening to him speak, it sounds like he has really bought into what we're doing and his game showed significant improvement as the year wore on. Still has a lot of growth left IMO, he does things that not many people can do, that highlights package is a good reminder indeed.

Why shouldn’t he build up a better fitness base? He does my head in, never once looked at him and thought he looks fit.

Does some great things on the field, but we see it sparingly due to either being injured or on the bench.

Definitely been unlucky with some of his injuries, but his fitness level is a joke.

100% this.

We currently have 1 consistently good AFL quality midfielder. Steele needs help. We cant got into another season with just him, a couple of 24-25 year olds yet to put together full seasons as mids and a bunch of kids. It's not fair to Steele. He needs someone to help carry the load while those kids develop.
Agree.. if we can land Peatling and Macrae + draft 2 young mids with pick 7&8, would improve the midfield by a big margin. Crouch is obviously done unfortunately

Agree.. if we can land Peatling and Macrae + draft 2 young mids with pick 7&8, would improve the midfield by a big margin. Crouch is obviously done unfortunately
What is the truth with Crouch? Surely if he couldn't play on, they would have announced it by now?

Would we rather Peatling or Macrae? Would be surprised if we got both AND drafted another 2 mids with Steele, Pou, Windy, Garcia, Clark, Dow, Jones (?) already listed, looks like a fair logjam in the middle.

Think Peatling has shown enough to throw a decent offer at him.

Obvious one to me is Clark. McCrae still playing good footy and is a signifiant upgrade on Clark. Even Jones if Jones last couple of games were just a purple patch (but I have hopes for him).

If he is interested in coming to us and we can get the deal done with late 2nd or 3rd would seem like a no brainer to me with Ross going and Crouch a big question mark.

I think the idea behind Macrae is that he's being played out of position and that has stopped his output. If you're getting him in its with the thought that he'll get back to playing his best footy in the guts, in which case he'd be just about our best mid and would push out everyone.

What is the truth with Crouch? Surely if he couldn't play on, they would have announced it by now?

He met a trigger for an extra year onto his contract for 2025. So I would assume he will either be retired and get paid out or he thinks he may be able to get back. Either way, he's contracted so it may never get announced either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back