List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Devils advocate, we trade our Battle compo for Houston. We draft a mid with 7.

Our list improves to the point of contention/top 6 next season.

We attract LDU/other free agents that allow us to continue to go to the draft with our first rounder…

We don’t go after Houston, we finish 6-12th again. We miss all big FAs but have two 19 year old mids.

What would you rather?

Top 6 finsh next year doesn't get us a shot at an LDU level free agent type, so it's a moot point.

Big vic clubs can get a shot at top free agents with this level of proximity to a flag.
We can't- it simply doesn't happen.

Every time a truly top tier gun is really on the market (and not just 'exploring free agency' in order to maximise their current clubs offer)- then we have no chance unless we have won a flag, or are obviously a gun top 4 side very close to a flag.

Simply being circa 4-8ish in a logjam with a dozen other teams is not enough for a small vic club like us to even get a sniff at an LDU level player as a free agent.

This isn't pessimism- this is realism.

So would you rule out getting Peatling from the Giants?

Has had 3 games over 80% (82, 82 & 83) otherwise has played as the sub or sits around 70%

Is the extra 10% TOG worth a trade?

I agree the time Clark spends on the ground he is good, but he simply puts too much pressure on his team mates not being able to run out games. As an example of Clark's lack of run he has had 4 bounces for his entire career, Brad Crouch has played longer but plays in the similiar manner has had 33. And thats even before we start talking about Hunters lack of spread and pressure on the turnover. He is a poor mans midfielder who as I have previously stated wouldnt get a game in any other decent AFL midfield.

Hunter has had 8 years at the club and still the same restricted player he was when he arrived, he wont be in our best 23 moving forward if we are to improve.

I am not red hot on Peatling but if the club bring him in it says more about Clarks future than what I have been suggesting. Peatling is a younger inexperienced midfielder at the level, his midfileld minutes would be restricted because of who is front of him - Clark just cant run out games its that simple.

Last edited:
Of course I don't put him in the same basket, was just a way of saying he has some unique skills
He does have a pretty unusual way of letting himself get tackled and managing to get a weird but effective kind of kick away. Which is good, because he doesn't have the power to break free or burst away from tacklers.

And when he doesn't get tackled he's pretty good. I don't have much of an issue with Hunter ball-in-hand. I only watch the games on TV, but I wonder how much he offers defensively or running the other way. Hopefully he gets another good run at it next year and takes another step up.

Um....why does he want to leave Doggies? He's not going to come to Saints as a back up. Going to have to have a permanent mid spot on the table for him.
I never meant he's coming as reserve.
He'll play - but he wont be keeping anyone out because based on the past couple of years, we always seem to have at least one injury in the midfield. Basically taking Crouch's spot.

I reckon the list of mids the Dogs have lost the last few years would be better than our starting midfield. Just extraordinary how they can lose so many yet still have 4 stars in there.

Macrae has indicated he wants to come. The Dogs haven’t given up retaining him. Don’t think Geelong are a genuine chance. They have other fish to fry.

Club is looking at other options in the vein of Houston. A name they will explore is Adam Cerra.

They like Soldo more than Reeves.

I’m not sure of where this sits in the current scheme of things but Crouch is currently getting opinions as to how managing his knee would go and potential long term impact.

Similar to Rooey.

I think Reeves is just a stop-gap however, in the right age bracket compared to some others. I don't mind an average ruck if all they can do is win the tap-outs that's fine. Marshall has been amazing but we know that's his deficiency.

Remember this game? Good times

According to my Hawthorn supporting mate (who I actually hate), he is no good with the new ruck rule (where you can make contact with other ruck before you touch the ball) but would be good if they change it back. As a result, Meek went past him quickly this year.

Macrae has indicated he wants to come. The Dogs haven’t given up retaining him. Don’t think Geelong are a genuine chance. They have other fish to fry.

Club is looking at other options in the vein of Houston. A name they will explore is Adam Cerra.

They like Soldo more than Reeves.

I’m not sure of where this sits in the current scheme of things but Crouch is currently getting opinions as to how managing his knee would go and potential long term impact.

Similar to Rooey.
Is Cerra under contract?

Macrae $2M over 3 years at 30???

That is a disgusting contract. Dogs were insane. He’ll be 33 and even slower.

Cap is going up by 25%.
And we need to meet the minimum 95% cap spend somehow.

700k a year of monopoly money we are forced to spend for macrae is totally fine if it means he comes across for stuff all trade cost

According to my Hawthorn supporting mate (who I actually hate), he is no good with the new ruck rule (where you can make contact with other ruck before you touch the ball) but would be good if they change it back. As a result, Meek went past him quickly this year.
Your hawthorn mate:
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think so, so logic would be sounding out the possibility of a pick trade to help them with Houston pending our compo
Reports were that port wanted 2 first rounders.

Carlton have p11. Need another and we could hypothetically facilitate and grab Cerra and Soldo.

I would hope it’s a future pick.

Cap is going up by 25%.
And we need to meet the minimum 95% cap spend somehow.

700k a year of monopoly money we are forced to spend for macrae is totally fine if it means he comes across for stuff all trade cost
People refuse to accept the salary cap burn to remove the danger that we pay a bunch of spuds more than they deserve and then everybody else wants some.

Look at Hannerbery. People are still upset with that and the salary cap damage it avoided.

If we got Macrae on the same basis, for next to nothing, and he was used in a manner than did not stifle development, then it’s a good strategic move. Obviously a few “ifs” in there.

Im not into scat play so I try not to watch carlton if I can help it... is cerra any good?
He’s very good IMO, problem is he keeps pinging his hamstring. Would’ve been close to leading Carlton’s BnF before the hammy problems.

Im not into scat play so I try not to watch carlton if I can help it... is cerra any good?

For a few games a year he is.

Most of the time he's either injured or coming back from injury and is below his best.

I wouldn't want to be giving up more than a 2nd rounder for him TBH.

He barely clears Hunter Clark over the journey...

For a few games a year he is.

Most of the time he's either injured or coming back from injury and is below his best.

I wouldn't want to be giving up more than a 2nd rounder for him TBH.

He barely clears Hunter Clark over the journey...

Maybe pull up the stats on his 2023 season where he played 22 games.

Maybe pull up the stats on his 2023 season where he played 22 games.

Is that like how the Bulldogs gave us value for Coffield based on his 2020 form?

C'mon man, we can just cherry pick the peak season of a player and say "that's what we're getting".

It's absolutely what you'd be hoping for but the fact is he's played 30 more games than Hunter, in a significantly better midfield, and has barely outperformed him.

Is that like how the Bulldogs gave us value for Coffield based on his 2020 form?

C'mon man, we can just cherry pick the peak season of a player and say "that's what we're getting".

It's absolutely what you'd be hoping for but the fact is he's played 30 more games than Hunter, in a significantly better midfield, and has barely outperformed him.
Well considering he barely got on the park this season.

The best comparison would be last season and he managed 22 games.

Not going back 2 or 3 years.

Facts are his 2022 and 2023 are pretty good seasons. L

Well considering he barely got on the park this season.

The best comparison would be last season and he managed 22 games.

Not going back 2 or 3 years.

Facts are his 2022 and 2023 are pretty good seasons. L

Sure but we aren't trading for him after those seasons.

Assuming we are asking the question, it's following yet another injury impacted campaign but even in those peak seasons, he's on par with someone like Seb Ross in terms of stats/impact.

Are we really saying that an injury prone Seb Ross is worth more than a 2nd round pick?

I think the assumption with Clark is if he can average 20 disposals on 60% game time, what can get with 75% game time?

What if he just gets the same 20 disposals?

Clark averaged his 2nd highest disposal average in 2024 (2020 may have been higher if not for shorter games), and career highs for tackles, inside 50s and clearances. He's clearly in the "needs to be playing well to command a spot in the side", but I think many can't get past the TOG when it might not be that much of a problem (it's not like we have 17 on the field when he's not out there).

his lack of burst speed really hurts him. the more he's on the ground the worse it gets as he doesn't really have a tank. he's not a brad hill repeat sprint.

so you can't really use him for extended periods. defencively its a big issue to with the two way running.

other players can have these issues but they have other strengths. for example i wouldn't call steele quick but he's stronger in the contest and defencively hurts the oppo. clark is very light on and easily pushed off the ball. so unless it goes his way with very little body contact, he's in a bit of strife.

TBH he's not gonna make it. we are basically playing a waiting game, waiting for players like Pou to take his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back