List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

He plays like butler. So could play a half forward roll as well. On the ruining other players development, sometime competition helps with players development. Would probably be good for collard
No he doesn't, Owies isn't a pressure forward. He's one of the lower rated pressure forwards in the comp. Is more a Higgins without the overhead ability and I guess a bit better at delivering the ball

My man if you can sell that deal to Port and Carlton you should become the new list manager.
Not really a good deal I think.

Carlton will be in the finals again next season..

We Lose: Pick 8, future 2nd (around pick 29 if we finish 8th)

We Gain: Carlton’s future first (around pick 11-18, Cerra, Soldo

Cerra being a big injury risk after 5 hamstring this year and not playing should only be worth a second round pick, so we are paying this year’s pick 8 for next year’s pick 11-18 + Soldo (3rd or 4th round at best).. That’s a bad deal.

Peatling for a future second round pick is a better deal

Begs the question - why haven’t Carlton offered him a contract yet? 30 goal small forward sounds very productive? What’s the knock and still no contract offer this late in the season?
Because they have younger players (Motlop, Moir) who have the potential to kick just as many goals while providing way more forward pressure and they need game time

He won back to back to back All Australian jerseys not that long ago and was an elite midfielder.

Like many others he’s been Bevo’d, to say he’s only been damaging in a handful of games is absolutely wrong.

He would be a great get for us, good depth if nothing else. He can still absolutely rack up the footy, pace or no pace will run all day.

Our midfield sucks and we need all the help we can get, whether they’re 30 or 18.
I said something similar about Matt Crouch. Not brilliant, but definitely a help and probably a step up. Also a former AA and B&F, but had semipro into fringe status. Could have got him for peanuts at the end of ‘22. He was in limbo, and eventually re-signed with Adelaide and had since been handy.

Houston for 8 is a sideways move for me - he's a very good player but I don't think replacing Battle with Houston makes us a better team.

I acutally think our midfield mix with Pou, Clark, Steele, Windy, Dow & Jones could do some damage next year. Pou and Clark barely got the chance to play together and Windy is almost a forgotten man.

This post is a bit like Trump in the great debate. It was going OK until it wasn't. Good on Houston but then it all went a bit off script.

I'd defy you to name a worse midfield in the AFL than Pou, Clark, Steele, Windy, Dow, Jones. Now Pou may go on to become the next Bont but on exposed output he is not there. The rest - I think we have seen most of what they can do. Maybe Windy has plus 15% in him. But that 6 is not going to scare too many teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't looked into Liam Bakers contract situation whether he's contracted or not

Any chance of us getting involved here?
Saints give picks 7 and 24
West Coast give pick 3
Richmond give Baker
Saints get 3
West Coast get 7 and Baker
Richmond get 24

We get one of the top 3 guys, ideally Draper. Does this undervalue Baker?

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
This deal makes me excited (except swap 7 for 8)

It's been said a couple of times but I'd much prefer Riley Garcia to Owies. 4 years younger and can run through the midfield. 10th in comp for forward half pressure acts (small forwards, TOG adjusted). Butler 17th, Owies 55th. Probably costs a bit more though & has a few clubs lining up for him
I really like this idea. A Peatling, Garcia, Soldo trade period really fills a lot of needs and makes us stronger.

B: Wilkie Howard Webster
HB: NAS Caminiti Sinclair
C: Hill Phillipou Wood
HF: Henry King Higgins
F: Butler Marshall Sharman
FOL: Soldo Steele Peatling

Int: Owens, Garcia, Brynes, Windhager, Garcia.

Emg: Clarke, Wilson, Stocker

I really like this idea. A Peatling, Garcia, Soldo trade period really fills a lot of needs and makes us stronger.

B: Wilkie Howard Webster
HB: NAS Caminiti Sinclair
C: Hill Phillipou Wood
HF: Henry King Higgins
F: Butler Marshall Sharman
FOL: Soldo Steele Peatling

Int: Owens, Garcia, Brynes, Windhager, Garcia.

Emg: Clarke, Wilson, Stocker
Wilson emergency????????? Give me some of your good stuff

I'm against Owies from a List Management viewpoint.
Basically we have 2 spots for each position on a list. One for the AFL and one for the VFL as well

38 primary places 4-6 Cat A rookies and 1-2 Cat B rookies.

Currently we have 45 on the list not counting delistings.

Of the small forwards we have. Butler, Higgins, who are first choice, we have Henry (also first choice) and Collard in development. We also use the small forward role as a place to rest smaller mids and use it as a development position. So Steele, Hill, Wilson, Garcia and Wood all spend time there. With the prospect of Hall and Hotton to also come into the team through this position. Unless we change the structure of one tall either Hammer or King, plus, 2 of Sharman, Owens or Pou with Roma wandering forward as well we really only play 2 small forwards.

We have delisted 2 backup key pos players (JVE and MA), one running defender (RB), one ruck (TC) one KPD (JB)and one def mid (SR), we look likely to lose one medium forward (TM) and one KPF (JH). We also look to have trouble with the mids we do have (BC, HC and PD) who either are injured or below their best.

I'd argue that the 2 positions on the ground where we are adequately serviced (ie a backup for every position in the first team) are small forward and small defender, though we look like we will lose BP as well as RB we still have 6 small defenders on the list with HC as cover too.

While arguments can be made for Owies, he wouldn't command an AFL place on our list.

We should be spending far more time and energy on Mids, and options for losing Battle and just in case Keeler and Heath don't make it, more medium/tall forwards and key defenders.

Oh and more Mids again.

I'm against Owies from a List Management viewpoint.
Basically we have 2 spots for each position on a list. One for the AFL and one for the VFL as well

38 primary places 4-6 Cat A rookies and 1-2 Cat B rookies.

Currently we have 45 on the list not counting delistings.

Of the small forwards we have. Butler, Higgins, who are first choice, we have Henry (also first choice) and Collard in development. We also use the small forward role as a place to rest smaller mids and use it as a development position. So Steele, Hill, Wilson, Garcia and Wood all spend time there. With the prospect of Hall and Hotton to also come into the team through this position. Unless we change the structure of one tall either Hammer or King, plus, 2 of Sharman, Owens or Pou with Roma wandering forward as well we really only play 2 small forwards.

We have delisted 2 backup key pos players (JVE and MA), one running defender (RB), one ruck (TC) one KPD (JB)and one def mid (SR), we look likely to lose one medium forward (TM) and one KPF (JH). We also look to have trouble with the mids we do have (BC, HC and PD) who either are injured or below their best.

I'd argue that the 2 positions on the ground where we are adequately serviced (ie a backup for every position in the first team) are small forward and small defender, though we look like we will lose BP as well as RB we still have 6 small defenders on the list with HC as cover too.

While arguments can be made for Owies, he wouldn't command an AFL place on our list.

We should be spending far more time and energy on Mids, and options for losing Battle and just in case Keeler and Heath don't make it, more medium/tall forwards and key defenders.

Oh and more Mids again.
It’s not about position, it’s about role

Assume you play three small forwards in a starting 22 - if you have 3 Jack Higgins then it doesn’t work because there’s limited forward pressure

We need depth behind Butler as a small pressure forward. That’s why we drafted Collard - although he’s a goal kicker, he also has the speed to form a part of the ground level pressure team like what Kozzy does at Melbourne

Now, I agree on your point that Owies isn’t an ideal target, but I do believe we should chase a cheap small forward. Someone like Rosas (although he might be a tad expensive). Definitely will be others of a similar type to be delisted in the coming weeks

Can argue that Henry is this type, but he’s capable of way better things further up the ground than to be restricted to the pure pressure forward role. Same for Wilson

Hotton and Hall are mid/fwds, neither of them can play Butler’s role at all. They’re more Henry replacements if anything

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back