List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that. But you weigh up all the pros and cons.

So set aside the sugar rush of landing him and now let’s explore what it looks like in 12 months time and no free agent wants to join.

What lever are we pulling to become better?
I’m actually quite comfortable with where we’re heading development wise with our current players even if there were no changes. The wins against Sydney Geelong and Carlton were a good indicator of what we are capable of.
We really only need a few tweaks and some consistency.
Maybe pick 7 and Merret might be enough.

I’m actually quite comfortable with where we’re heading development wise with our current players even if there were no changes. The wins against Sydney Geelong and Carlton were a good indicator of what we are capable of.
Maybe.

But in my eyes, we lack an elite intercept back. We would be hoping and praying King comes back fit firing and Sharman continues.

And you would hope Owens Pou Henry Nas etc etc officially cement themselves in 2025 as stars of the comp.

For me, it’s a lot of assuming and hoping for the best as opposed to genuinely being in a position to achieve that.

Maybe.

But in my eyes, we lack an elite intercept back. We would be hoping and praying King comes back fit firing and Sharman continues.

And you would hope Owens Pou Henry Nas etc etc officially cement themselves in 2025 as stars of the comp.

For me, it’s a lot of assuming and hoping for the best as opposed to genuinely being in a position to achieve that.
If we get Merrett, we might actually get first use from stoppages which will somewhat negate the need for an intercepter as the ball won't be coming down there as fast and as often.

Does it feel any better to look at it as Battle and a future first, rather than 2x1sts? I reckon it does - if that was a standalone deal, I think we'd take it.
Nope. Not for a minute.
We have (more than likely) got the opportunity of 2 top 10 draft picks for the first time since Moses was a boy. I'm not squandering that on a sugar-hit 29 year old who won't be around at our next flag.

Yeah l have to agree though it's a deviation. If it's done right it could put us in contention.
Merrett
Mcrae
Soldo
Tomlinson
Only really need 2 years of good service from this group to get the job done. Assuming we still use some decent picks this year it can still satisfy the long term objectives.

Its hard to win a premiership.
You want your window as wide as possible.
By topping up like that , we have one of those tiny little windows they use in castles to shoot arrows out of.

Yeah l have to agree though it's a deviation. If it's done right it could put us in contention.
Merrett
Mcrae
Soldo
Tomlinson
Only really need 2 years of good service from this group to get the job done. Assuming we still use some decent picks this year it can still satisfy the long term objectives.
On paper it looks much better.

Reality is that Tomlinson was always next man up at Melbourne and is 32 next year.

Soldo came across as the #1 ruck and was usurped by a bloke who has played a handful of games and was a top VFL ruck.

Macrae is decent. But is also 31 next year and was often sub for the doggies this year or played at HFF.

It’s a really long bow to suggest it puts us in contention.

I’m pretty positive about us. I’m not currently feeling overly positive about this entire scenario.

Suspect it's 1-100 that Merrett actually leaves the Bombers. There are rumours of a Board spill and I agree with others that he is most likely taking the Petracca approach here.

Our better strategy is clearly to target a Macrae type (80% of Merrett) whilst retaining our draft capital.

Hypothetically though you add Merrett, Henry, Philippou and King all fit and healthy to the team that beat Geelong and there is a temptation to think we are not miles away.

Why is it that some clubs like St Kilda have to engage in long-term list building and generally are expected not to jump the queue and to wait their turn, while other clubs never bottom out, continually top up (including with expensive and/or mature age players) and no one calls it a "sugar hit" or a "false dawn".
Because Merritt is almost 29 and paying two+ first rounders is pure madness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% there is.

Just like this story came out of nowhere. We have good players and players others would want.

What’s to say Adelaide hasn’t got Pou or Nas in the same situation?

My opinion is that this is crap/not happening.

You don’t let bombs like this drop so far out from trade period.

When a bomb goes off it’s on the eve or during the trade period and the 2 that come to mind are Horne Francis and Tom Boyd.

This reeks of either: the club wants everyone to to know it’s got money and Capital to deal or Merrett wants more money as he is disgruntled

I'm backing the first option and it doesn't "reek" - its sensible trade management process.

Bright flashing neon sign pointed at every player manager saying - we are keen buyers of midfield talent - we have money and draft picks - what have you got that might be for sale.

Interesting few weeks coming up - keep your eye on the pre-agents.

Sadly, short-term thinking is part of our club DNA. Development of a TEAM seems beyond those in charge, and it seems like 3 years is as long as they can stand without doing something dumb.
It would set the club back quite a long way. What about is Merritt then gets a Crouch type injury in his early 30s? Then the whole deal has been blown.

We just have to hope Tom Morris isn’t on the money with this report.

I'm backing the first option and it doesn't "reek" - its sensible trade management process.

Bright flashing neon sign pointed at every player manager saying - we are keen buyers of midfield talent - we have money and draft picks - what have you got that might be for sale.

Interesting few weeks coming up - keep your eye on the pre-agents.
If you need to stick a big neon sign pointed at Moorabbin saying lots of free money here if you can kick a football….

I’d say it’s because they can’t seem to sell the club in a better way to land top talent.

the fact we threw stupid money at multiple free and pre agents and have struck out isn’t a great sign

They were wins once the season was done and dusted. I value wins a lot more in the first half of the season. When the heat is really on. You’re reading too much about the form against dead rubbers for the Saints.

They were wins once the season was done and dusted. I value wins a lot more in the first half of the season. When the heat is really on. You’re reading too much about the form against dead rubbers for the Saints.
Maybe 🤔 but it still gave us as supporters and the players themselves a good glimpse at what we’re capable of going into next year.
Carlton were playing for finals and I think Geelong were playing for top four and Geelong and Sydney are supposedly streets ahead of us so I’m not so sure they were dead rubbers to those sides.

Its hard to win a premiership.
You want your window as wide as possible.
By topping up like that , we have one of those tiny little windows they use in castles to shoot arrows out of.
In terms of windows, this scenario would see it open sooner whilst the prospective closing range would be around the early 2030's.
In our situation with the bulk of our drafting already done, the question is do we try and snatch a year or 3 at the front end or continue on in the belief that we can add to the back end in 5-7 years time.
Given the state of the league ATM, l think sooner is better.

If you think the Carlton game was a dead rubber, you didn't watch the game closely enough. I understand the no mental pressure to perform bit, but with the kitchen sink being thrown and no incentive to win, the boys got the job done. Worth plenty.

We all seem a little over confident that Battle will land us pick 8 when you consider that

1. It has been reported that Hawthorn's contract offer is less than what was offered by the Saints
2. He is an unrestricted free agent, meaning the Saints cannot match any offer and force to a trade
Wouldn’t worry about it.

Age and contract length and this should be somewhat accurate which means they will need to front load the deal next season based on the contract statuses and how they will need to manage the cap going forward.

I watched Tom whatshisname, what a load of waffle coming from him.

Let's entertain this muppets thoughts for a second, Merrett vs Macrae. 1 years difference in age, Macrae is considered a 2nd rounder at best, Merrett talk would be 2 firsts.

Merrett has more zip, but both are absolute pigs and I'd probably have Macrae just in front going forward hitting someone up on the lead.

Cost wise, we aren't selling our future on Macrae but if we get Merrett we absolutely are.

It's one thing to have money to spend it's another thing spending your draft capital. What Tom whatshisname is doing is hurting our club, putting our name out there then having it not happen makes us look desperate and irrelevant.

Merrett for pick 8 I'd be comfortable, we'd get laughed at though - which is why we simply cannot entertain such a fanciful trade.

Wouldn’t worry about it.

Age and contract length and this should be somewhat accurate which means they will need to front load the deal next season based on the contract statuses and how they will need to manage the cap going forward.

I don't think front loading the contract makes a difference to compensation, it's the overall contract

I don't think front loading the contract makes a difference to compensation, it's the overall contract
It makes a difference for where it sits in next seasons % of highest paid players.

1. Contract length
  2. Player age
  3. salary sits in the league in his first season.
  4. Total contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back