List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If you need to stick a big neon sign pointed at Moorabbin saying lots of free money here if you can kick a football….

I’d say it’s because they can’t seem to sell the club in a better way to land top talent.

the fact we threw stupid money at multiple free and pre agents and have struck out isn’t a great sign
Exactly, full norf.

In terms of windows, this scenario would see it open sooner whilst the prospective closing range would be around the early 2030's.
In our situation with the bulk of our drafting already done, the question is do we try and snatch a year or 3 at the front end or continue on in the belief that we can add to the back end in 5-7 years time.
Given the state of the league ATM, l think sooner is better.

To me, we need some capable mids to make us competitive until the kids come through.
The trouble with Merrett , is that we would need to sacrifice the kids.

To me, we need some capable mids to make us competitive until the kids come through.
I think we just need to wear it for a couple of seasons. Hawks are a good example. They offloaded O'Meara and Mitchell because they wanted to get more games into their kids. It hurt for a couple of years but they're reaping the rewards now.

It would set the club back quite a long way. What about is Merritt then gets a Crouch type injury in his early 30s? Then the whole deal has been blown.

We just have to hope Tom Morris isn’t on the money with this report.
I reckon it's a job to smoke out who Chompers Morris' contact is.

Throw a few ungettable names around & whoever was fed Merrett's name will be summarily executed by RTB immediately.

We all seem a little over confident that Battle will land us pick 8 when you consider that

1. It has been reported that Hawthorn's contract offer is less than what was offered by the Saints
2. He is an unrestricted free agent, meaning the Saints cannot match any offer and force to a trade
We've debated this ad nauseum Birdy.

Good to see you back BTW.

It makes a difference for where it sits in next seasons % of highest paid players.

1. Contract length
  2. Player age
  3. salary sits in the league in his first season.
  4. Total contract.
Yes, but it still goes off his average wage, not his wage next year.

They are only comparing that average salary to the salaries of other players and the current cap sizes

A points value is assigned to free agents based on:

• Their average guaranteed contract value
  • What percentile of the AFL contracts theirs falls into
  • Age - with 25-year-old's getting most value
Once the point values are assessed, free agents are ranked in bands with the top five percent getting a first-round compensation pick, while the bottom 30 per cent get no compensation.

If it was as easy as just front loading contracts then everyone would be getting band one, unfortunately front loading contracts makes no difference.

We've debated this ad nauseum Birdy.

Good to see you back BTW.
Thanks mate, good to see ya.

It's going to take me too long to go back and look at past posts on this so if anyone has anything to add to why we actually should be confident of landing band one I'd love to hear it.

For me it sounds more unlikely than likely, I'd love to be wrong of course.

We all seem a little over confident that Battle will land us pick 8 when you consider that

1. It has been reported that Hawthorn's contract offer is less than what was offered by the Saints
2. He is an unrestricted free agent, meaning the Saints cannot match any offer and force to a trade
Correct, but it was 'reported' Saints offered a million a season.
Hawks supposed ITK's said that Hawks frontended the contract to help with the compo.
Yipper, who I know personally so know his impeccable connections posted he had it confirmed that the compo was band 1.
Now yipper hardly posts and when it is he is very seldom incorrect.
Until it is confirmed by the AFL it is not 100% certain it is band 1, and nobody is perfect so he may be incorrect, however, hopefully this info make you not as uncomfortable and concerned you sound.
Cheers.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's going to take me too long to go back and look at past posts on this so if anyone has anything to add to why we actually should be confident of landing band one I'd love to hear it.

Vibes basically. No one really knows anything.

They are only comparing that average salary to the salaries of other players and the current cap sizes

Once the point values are assessed, free agents are ranked in bands with the top five percent getting a first-round compensation pick, while the bottom 30 per cent get no compensation.

If it was as easy as just front loading contracts then everyone would be getting band one, unfortunately front loading contracts makes no difference.
It’s a loop hole - it’s common knowledge throughout the league.

It was creating that much angst that I think everyone just decided to go with pick 8 being the outcome & we can all lose our sh1t when we inevitably get fkd over.

I don't think we can just rely on kids coming through. The policy has to be mixed, and in that case there's no definitive line to say enough of one kind or another. Since we're not getting a bunch of top 5 draftees it makes sense to be flexible on the means to the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, full norf.

Only we now have agreements and avenues to grow, North picked up the angry racist bloke that punches things instead.

No one goes full North like North.

Correct, but it was 'reported' Saints offered a million a season.
Hawks supposed ITK's said that Hawks frontended the contract to help with the compo.
Yipper, who I know personally so know his impeccable connections posted he had it confirmed that the compo was band 1.
Now yipper hardly posts and when it is he is very seldom incorrect.
Until it is confirmed by the AFL it is not 100% certain it is band 1, and nobody is perfect so he may be incorrect, however, hopefully this info make you not as uncomfortable and concerned you sound.
Cheers.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
What do Hawthorn get out of getting us a band one compensation when he unrestricted and we can't match to force to a trade anyway?

All they are achieving is pushing their pick down the order

It’s a loop hole - it’s common knowledge throughout the league.
Can you post any articles or links that suggests this is the case?

Seems different to everything I have read on free agency compensation over the years, which is that it is based of average contract size, not one year.

For example, Brisbane had to bump up Danihers overall contract to make sure he would get Essendon a band one compensation. They then did the sneaky and signed an extra contract a few months later, but if it were as easy as just front loading contracts then that's what they would have done.

Unfortunatley for us though, Battle isn't restricted like Daniher was so we can't even tell Hawthorn we will match any deal that isn't band one.

The Merrett deal is pie in the sky and will never happen but cos its favourable to us fans run with it

If the story had been "Bombers throw Godfather offer at Rowan Marshall/Jack Sinclair" He'd be laughed at for making up fairytales.

Rumours are only credible if they benefit the Club you barrack for.

They also added in length of contract as a determining factor this year. 5+ years gets maximum points.
Checking the AFL site it says the formula produces an outcome but they review it and can change the compensation generated by the formula.
Still leaves us guessing until they fire up the random number generator.

What do Hawthorn get out of getting us a band one compensation when he unrestricted and we can't match to force to a trade anyway?

All they are achieving is pushing their pick down the order
All the word late in the piece was that Battle was 50/50 whether to go or not.

Maybe one of the issues was him not wanting us to get screwed... so Hawthorn structured the 6 years so that it's weighted towards the front end (which brings the 5yr max/average $/players age close to band 1).

Hopefully the Prez's voice will get us over the line.

They also added in length of contract as a determining factor this year. 5+ years gets maximum points.
Checking the AFL site it says the formula produces an outcome but they review it and can change the compensation generated by the formula.
Still leaves us guessing until they fire up the random number generator.
Yep, contract length and age should definitely be in our favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back