List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

For someone who says you have a family connection to him i find it a tad strange that in over 1200 posts this is the first time you have ever mentioned his name
Um, why would I bother? Just to name drop? Mate, I'm just relaying the info that was told to me a few days ago from a family member that's connected to his partner.

That's a very glass half empty look at the situation.

Glass half full says that we lost a lot of very close games this year- despite having (by anyones standards) a poor midfield.

An extra year or two of improvement into the likes of pou, wilson, nas, king, owens PLUS a couple of guns like merrett and macrae.

Suddenly we look like perennial contenders for the next 5 years until the careers of wilkie, sincs, steele, marshall are done.

2 firsts and ~ a 2nd back (in this years deep draft) for merrett is a winning move for us.

This whole thing about 'selling the future' is a furphy for us.

We don't have a realistic flag window opening 5 years from now- even IF pou etc become A graders.

so paying 2 firsts with a 2nd back for a merrett type guy isn't killing some distant flag window- because it doesn't exist.
You can call it glass half full if you like.

I prefer the term realistic.

I'm usually a positive fan, but I think if you were to ask neutrals of the game whether Zach Merrett could push us into flag contention with our current list, I presume most would agree with me.

You may think the flag window doesn't exist with our current crop of kids, but I believe that we at least have a foundation now, which is more that we have had for quite some time. It's far from the finished product though I agree, which is exactly why we need to add more quality youth, either through the draft or trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merritt is good mates with Gres who has told him how different and better the Saints culture is to the one at Essendon.

Merritt had a coffee with RTB and SoS to have a chat, and Morris found out.
This happens with dozens of players at this time of year.
Always nothing in it.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully Zac comes out and refutes it. You should never dish out first rounders for someone nearing 30 unless you’re contending in GFs.
I think under thommo and waldron the idea was to target player who could play 200 games for that club, 10 years effectively. It’s very hard to see with the draft window slamming shut how a move like this doesn’t wind up coming back to bite us.

Different story if we were loaded and ready to challenge but we’re not, hard to believe our plan could change so quickly. Anyway it’s just as likely to be more hype than substance, I guess we’ll see.

The Merrett acquisition is absolutely in the pipeline. I have family connected to Zac who have known for the last 2 weeks but sworn to silence. He's currently in the US avoiding media but has already spoken with RTB and BJ.

If this true, and we are protecting our draft capital, then there must be a player swap in the mix.

That makes me nervous.

I think under thommo and waldron the idea was to target player who could play 200 games for that club, 10 years effectively. It’s very hard to see with the draft window slamming shut how a move like this doesn’t wind up coming back to bite us.

Different story if we were loaded and ready to challenge but we’re not, hard to believe our plan could change so quickly. Anyway it’s just as likely to be more hype than substance, I guess we’ll see.
This is the way. 7&8 should only be on the table for a proven mid who is younger than King.

Merritt is good mates with Gres who has told him how different and better the Saints culture is to the one at Essendon.

Merritt had a coffee with RTB and SoS to have a chat, and Morris found out.
This happens with dozens of players at this time of year.
Always nothing in it.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gresham has already done more for us while at Essendon than he did while at St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back