List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Could ... just could ... Lewis Young improve?

25/26yo .... big guys always take time to find their groove?

He played ruck a few games in his last season at Bulldogs and last year with Carlton and did ok ... could he be our ruck back up at 201cm?

He seems mobile enough .. can take a grsb ... kicking looks sound ... whats his problem?

Anyway if he does move on from the Bluescum .... wherever that may be .... please please :praying: turn into a gun

To see that blue horde choke on their cornpops would be glorious

I don’t rate either
Well I will disagree with you on that until the cows come home.

On a related topic though, the articles say Young and Kennedy and Carlscum disagree on their roles… what does Carlscum think Young’s best role is, and what does HE think it is?

Last edited:
Battle is 193cm. Young is 201cm.

Young would be brought in to let Dougal move up to CHB and allow Wilkie to be the 3rd tall.

Young can intercept and has a decent kick but is average at the actual defending part of the bargain. Like a taller Laverde to me, probably less honest with his effort. I’d take Tomlinson over him everyday of the week.

Young can intercept and has a decent kick but is average at the actual defending part of the bargain. Like a taller Laverde to me, probably less honest with his effort. I’d take Tomlinson over him everyday of the week.
One give us depth for a year, the other for five.

It’s not a deal I’d immediately say no to.

Since Moses was Clark and Coffield? We had three firsts when we got Dunny, Billings and Acres. McKenzie first pick in round 2 that year too. Paddy and Hugh were both first round picks. We aren't getting Merrett but we should be looking for elite talent. We are a deep squad with lots of quality but lack a couple of absolute elite players too go top 4.

Kids likely pay off in 4 to 5 years just as the current best players start to slow down. We need to keep drafting where. we can but also looking at opportunities.
For we need elite talent , but we don't need a 29yr old , we need a LDU or Bryshaw who are both around the 25yr old bracket.
Both are RFA next year so I fully expect they will be looking at offers being tossed around.

Well I will disagree with you on that until the cows come home.

On a related topic though, the articles say Young and Kennedy and Carlscum disagree on their roles… what does Carlscum think Young’s best role is, and what does HE think it is?
We need a Weitering/Andrews/May type.

Howard/Young/Tomlinson all do some form of itch scratching without sorting the issue.

With young specifically, Carlton are short on key backs. It’s actually a need for them. Yet they are telling Young to go find a new home.

Byrnes is a work horse and gives 100% each week, there are lot less deserving players on our list than him. I actually think he has a spot as a lock down small defender, the couple of times he played there he did really well.

He is quicker and provides more run than Stocker and is hugely courageous for a kid his size. You cant bottle garaunteed effort but Ronny provides it in spades.
And that would be why he has a 1 year deal and still listed.

Doesnt mean he will be here in 12 months. If the offer is dirt cheap on someone like Kennedy, you would be getting a better player than Byrnes or Jones.

Thats more my point.

I think we can do abit of good to our list and some of these kids we will draft and already have by securing some decent older talent for next to nothing.

And the prior 17 weeks?

I think we need to be careful with the weight we give those last 6 weeks over the majority of the season.
For Jones, yes. And maybe even Membrey. Fully developed and experienced players.

But for a young and good-chance-he’s-still-developing player, I’d give Byrnes the benefit of the doubt. He has improved every year and at 22 there’s no reason to believe he’s reached his ceiling. He’s showed a big improvement in skills and composure in the latter half of the season. I hope we hang onto him.

Could ... just could ... Lewis Young improve?

25/26yo .... big guys always take time to find their groove?

He played ruck a few games in his last season at Bulldogs and last year with Carlton and did ok ... could he be our ruck back up at 201cm?

He seems mobile enough .. can take a grsb ... kicking looks sound ... whats his problem?

Anyway if he does move on from the Bluescum .... wherever that may be .... please please :praying: turn into a gun

To see that blue horde choke on their cornpops would be glorious
Lewis Young is a Ross special.

Come cheap & stand on the biggest forward. If you get the ball always look to handball, only kick if its long down the line

I don't think front loading the contract makes a difference to compensation, it's the overall contract
We will get 8
The herbs and spices will also be added which is
Saints haven't had a top 10 compo, father son or academy pick for a long time. It is our turn. These picks are not worked out just purely on numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's no Zach Merrett, but Matt Kennedy is 27 and has always been a very serviceable midfielder. I was hoping he'd get to us when he was delisted by the Giants. If we miss Macrae, Peatling etc, I wouldn't be mad about him. Has a different set of attributes to the rest of our mids; leg speed, overhead marking, and a bit more versatility. Surely nothing more than a third rounder

ALSO SOS recruited Kennedy to Carlton
Leg speed???, slower than Seb Ross

He’s 22.. What was Pou like the prior 17 weeks? Less productive than Byrnes. Both went back to the VFl and came back better. Surprise our outside players started playing better once we started winning our fair share of ball at the source.
1 Was a pick 10. Youngest in his draft class, in his second season and had played every game in his first. The talent was undoubted, but was struggling with role and form and injury.

The other in his 5th season with over 50 games to his name was struggling to get into the 4th worst side in the league at the time with significant opportunities due to injuries/suspensions etc.

I’m not trying to come across as a Byrnes hater. I don’t actually mind him. But he would be one of the first players I’d be replacing.

I'm not dying on the Merrett hill, but these words look to have been chosen carefully.

No contract offer, no 'formal' discussion, no further comment.

Can they not just say it's not happening?

Essendons statement was a lot more decisive, as much as it was not from Merrett himself.

Shiel last year, Merrett this year, I feel like SOS is just enjoying his Essendon trolling at the expense of the sanity of this mental asylums residents.

We need a Weitering/Andrews/May type.

Howard/Young/Tomlinson all do some form of itch scratching without sorting the issue.

With young specifically, Carlton are short on key backs. It’s actually a need for them. Yet they are telling Young to go find a new home.
Went over to the Bluescum board ... then had a shower and scrub ...and now I am back to report

It seems a bit of a 50/50 stalemate over there re: Young .... some are a bit meh whatever ... others think he needs to be retained ... some very worried about there KP defender depth

Interesting was that there was a view that he played better when Weitering wasn't in the side but in the last few games they seemed to be forming a more cohesive tandem

There were a few comments that he sometimes drops marks he should take or tries to mark when he should spoil but these could be ironed out ... also he ain't overly quick but what 200cm defenders are?

As mentioned earlier he did pop up in the ruck for a few games with the Dogs and Blues and games wich they won ... so maybe there is something there as a back-up to Marshall ... though he probably would need to chunk on a few more kgs to deal with the bigger ruck bods

Still contracted until the end of 2026 but the trade worth could be acceptable as Blues got him for a 3rd rounder and now are happy for him to move for .... a 3rd rounder??

Blues have eyes on Haynes but he is a 192cm 3rd tall intercepter and you get the feeling Blues are trying to move a few on players to open up SC to bring in Houston .... but he ain't key defensive either

He probably isn't a replacement for Battle but he could be decent depth for Howard ... or mobile ruck depth

OK time for another shower

Went over to the Bluescum board ... then had a shower and scrub ...and now I am back to report

It seems a bit of a 50/50 stalemate over there re: Young .... some are a bit meh whatever ... others think he needs to be retained ... some very worried about there KP defender depth

Interesting was that there was a view that he played better when Weitering wasn't in the side but in the last few games they seemed to be forming a more cohesive tandem

There were a few comments that he sometimes drops marks he should take or tries to mark when he should spoil but these could be ironed out ... also he ain't overly quick but what 200cm defenders are?

As mentioned earlier he did pop up in the ruck for a few games with the Dogs and Blues and games wich they won ... so maybe there is something there as a back-up to Marshall ... though he probably would need to chunk on a few more kgs to deal with the bigger ruck bods

Still contracted until the end of 2026 but the trade worth could be acceptable as Blues got him for a 3rd rounder and now are happy for him to move for .... a 3rd rounder??

Blues have eyes on Haynes but he is a 192cm 3rd tall intercepter and you get the feeling Blues are trying to move a few on players to open up SC to bring in Houston .... but he ain't key defensive either

He probably isn't a replacement for Battle but he could be decent depth for Howard ... or mobile ruck depth

OK time for another shower
I’d rather Soldo a genuine ruck.

If you want to make finals next year and Marshall goes down. We are absolutely ****ed if we think Heath/Cordy/Young/Owens can cover.

2 clubs willing to move on a 200cm versatile player is concerning.

I'm not dying on the Merrett hill, but these words look to have been chosen carefully.

No contract offer, no 'formal' discussion, no further comment.

Can they not just say it's not happening?

Essendons statement was a lot more decisive, as much as it was not from Merrett himself.

Shiel last year, Merrett this year, I feel like SOS is just enjoying his Essendon trolling at the expense of the sanity of this mental asylums residents.
I posted the video with Caro reporting that Gubby Allen reached out to Brad Scott to say we are going for Merrett.

I’d rather Soldo a genuine ruck.

If you want to make finals next year and Marshall goes down. We are absolutely ****ed if we think Heath/Cordy/Young/Owens can cover.

2 clubs willing to move on a 200cm versatile player is concerning.
Good bring them both in ... then we have double depth... and Young can back up Howard too

Also who are Bluescum replacing Young with? Haynes? Some youngster in their reserves team? Trade for someone?

Blues supporters genuinely concerned with their key defensive player depth if he goes

It's a bit strange

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back