List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Crouch has triggered another 1 year contract, I know that, & hasn't been delisted because of his degenerative ?, knee issue. Until the club comes out & states it, stop with the speculation already. And he missed a season with the Crows because of it, but came back from it. Rooey carried a degenerative knee throughout his career.
He played ONE game the entire season.
Roo kept playing.
Sad to say the writing is on the wall.
That’s why McRae will be a great get. Immediate replacement.
And we really missed Crouch this year.

I wouldn’t have thought dogs could expect any more than a 3rd rounder for a 30 year old that they played vfl and sub multiple times this year. They don’t have to trade him granted , but if he’s barely in your plans and on huge money let him go amicably

You can’t expect a 250 game player being happy playing vfl

Apparently Macrae’s remaining 3 years on his contract is worth more than $2m, and is worth over $800,000 for each of the next two years.

This year he has been pushed out of the Bulldogs midfield and has even played some football in the VFL.

The Bulldogs need him off their books. In trade terms he is a salary dump, the more St Kilda absorbs his contract into its cap the cheaper the draft pick the Bulldogs can demand.

If Saints absorb all of his remaining contract then the best the Bulldogs could hope for is our pick 43 (3rd round) with them maybe throwing a later pick back.

The Bulldogs need him gone. They won’t resist holding out for a second round pick. It will be done quickly.

Macrae has nominated Saints for a reason.

The way we're wetting ourselves over any player who shows us any love at all is understandable but a wee bit too sad and desperate for comfort.

And this Sam DeKoning rumour, is there anything at all there? Is he gettable and would he come over to us?
We’re happy to have a ready made, mature body to replace Crouch and help the kids come along.

That’s not wetting ourselves, it’s just good business.

Don't think Garcia, Phìllipou, Wilson, Windhager, Owens? is a crap midfield moving forward & when Clark, Dow & Jones got fit & played to their ability, we had nice wins. Our list has been underrated I reckon. Lots of injuries have got in the way.
Not sure where all these guys are going to fit in the team- the midfield is only so big, and then we have McRae coming on board, and he will go straight into the seniors you would think ahead of Dow. Pou and Wilson look the most likely to step up, and I think Garcia needs a bigger tank for senior midfield duties, which he will probably develop, and Owens just needs to find a bit of form- he had an ordinary season. Clark and Jones will really need to work hard over summer to make sure they can string games together.

Best thing about Byrnes is that he’s nowhere near his prime. Still has lots of development and energy left. Has a point to prove. Could become a genuinely good player if he maintains this new level of kicking he’s adopted in the back half of 2024

Goddard mentioned earlier this year that Byrnes was the one who looked to be a completely different athlete. I’m hoping the first half of this year was him not knowing how to utilise his extra bulk. His bulk, agility, speed, and aerobic capacity has the potential to be really damaging in the modern game, especially under Ross in a running game plan. We’ve seen glimpses of him taking on tackles and exploding out of contests - need to see this more consistently!

He's been in the pre-christmas training groups and was using Logan Austin as a PT with a few of the more dedicated guys since he arrived. He's determined to make the most of his opportunity. He won't be an old guy in pub wishing he'd given it a better crack when he was young. I like a player that isn't born with excess talent but puts their head down and goes for it.

Ok here goes Im going to have a go at a prospective trade period (be gentle) -

• Jacko McRae traded in Saints #43
  • Tomlinson Melbourne & Membrey Saints do a swap with Saints getting a late pick #61.
  • Paton traded to Richmond #57.
  • Hayes Saints & Soldo Port & another club do a 3 way trade Port also get pick #57.
  • Jai Serong Hawthorn to St Kilda 3rd round 2025 pick.

Still to be delisted Hotton, Cordy (paid out) and Crouch (retired).

National Draft picks - #7 Reid/Lalor, #8 Smillie/Allan, #24 Simms/Gerryn/Dodson #61 match a bid Cole. Rookies Peckett, Hofmann & small forward.

Ps.I went with Allan as he might be worth some trade value back to WA if he wants and we can target a Vic out of Perth.

Last edited:
Not sure where all these guys are going to fit in the team- the midfield is only so big, and then we have McRae coming on board, and he will go straight into the seniors you would think ahead of Dow. Pou and Wilson look the most likely to step up, and I think Garcia needs a bigger tank for senior midfield duties, which he will probably develop, and Owens just needs to find a bit of form- he had an ordinary season. Clark and Jones will really need to work hard over summer to make sure they can string games together.
Competition for spots never hurt anyone.
The ones who really want it will sort themselves out

Apparently Macrae’s remaining 3 years on his contract is worth more than $2m, and is worth over $800,000 for each of the next two years.

This year he has been pushed out of the Bulldogs midfield and has even played some football in the VFL.

The Bulldogs need him off their books. In trade terms he is a salary dump, the more St Kilda absorbs his contract into its cap the cheaper the draft pick the Bulldogs can demand.

If Saints absorb all of his remaining contract then the best the Bulldogs could hope for is our pick 43 (3rd round) with them maybe throwing a later pick back.

The Bulldogs need him gone. They won’t resist holding out for a second round pick. It will be done quickly.

Macrae has nominated Saints for a reason.

Where have you seen they want his salary off the books ? I think it’s been reported they want to keep him which is why I think they’ll be dicks about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where have you seen they want his salary off the books ? I think it’s been reported they want to keep him which is why I think they’ll be dicks about it
I don't know about the whole needing salary off books thing.

But I think the trade will be a smooth one.
Bevo has pretty much showed this year he doesn't see him as a full time mid anymore by playing him as a sub so many times and playing VFL footy.

From what I can gather the only person who believes that is Bevo and its his opinion that matters.
he will get to us for a 3rd I think

Ok here goes Im going to have a go at a prospective trade period (be gentle) -

• Jacko McRae traded in Saints #43
  • Tomlinson Melbourne & Membrey Saints do a swap with Saints getting a late pick #61.
  • Paton traded to Richmond #57.
  • Hayes Saints & Soldo Port & another club do a 3 way trade Port also get pick #57.
  • Jai Serong Hawthorn to St Kilda 3rd round 2025 pick.

Still to be delisted Hotton, Cordy (paid out) and Crouch (retired).

National Draft picks - #7 Reid/Lalor, #8 Smillie/Allan, #24 Simms, #61 match a bid Cole. Rookies Peckett, Hofmann & small forward.

Ps.I went with Allan as he might be worth some trade value back to WA if he wants and we can target a Vic out of Perth.
dont know how accurate,but like to see more of this
can #61 be used that way?what is the cutoff for picks that can be used to match?

There needs to be a form of posturing to appease fans, but in reality they would be over the moon to get his salary off their books.

Even if they don't HAVE to, they will appreciate the breathing space it gives them when Bont, Darcy and Richards cone out of contract.

Macrae at Dogs is behind Richards, Libba, Bont and possibly even Sanders. At St Kilda, he'd be in the first 2 midfielders picked with Steele.

If he at least replaces Crouch then we are back to square. We went backwards this year with no Crouch, at least if we get back to square then any improvements from our young mids like Pou and Garcia take us forwards!!
We need one more ready to go young mid. Hope Peatling can get over the line.. then draft 2 more mids with pick 7 and 8, then we’ll be set

Having Seb Ross , Crouch out of the team any injury to Steele leaves us extremely lacking experience.
Unless your going to rely on Jones , Clark or Dow who I think will be battling to hold a position in the starting 22.

MaCrae is a excellent pick up even in the twilight of his career he will be a great mentor for Windhager and Phillipou.

With Steele , MaCrae , Windhager , Phillipou our midfield is starting to look better.

Accuracy is very speculative, but this year the points end at pick #74. It all changes next year.
I fully expect we get MaCrae for a 3rd round pick , Soldo for a swap of 2nd round picks next year with a deal that moves Hayes to Port.
Then we use our first round picks on the best players available and we will be in great shape next year.

Also if they need a spare defender there should be a few that have been delisted or moved on(Tomlinson , Hayes , Young , Schache , Wederman - they may all be useless but they might fill a spot when needed) , so to me it not to worrying trying to fill Battles void knowing how Lyon floods the back line.
Howard , Wilkie play on the top forwards and Cordy is not a total spud and with Scheomaker developing we should be fine.

Is the fact that Crouch played round one this season, on one leg, a disaster for our salary cap?
He will have to be paid out now for 2025, which will go towards our salary cap. If he didn’t play round 1 it wouldn’t have triggered his contract extension.
Have I got this wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back