List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who continually trot out the line “I don’t know why we’re hearing about Player X, he’s contracted until Y.” it’s worth keeping in mind that around 50% of trades are for contracted players.
You are correct , a contract means nothing today if the club wants you moved on or the player wants out.
This is why Oliver and Petracca are still trade targets to me for some clubs.- one will be moved on - Melbourne want some salary cap space to lure Reid to the club.

For those who continually trot out the line “I don’t know why we’re hearing about Player X, he’s contracted until Y.” it’s worth keeping in mind that around 50% of trades are for contracted players.
But most of those are for players the club is happy to move on whether due to injury concerns, age (past there use by date in their eyes), form issues or home sickness/family reasons (interstate)

You won't see many contracted young guns being traded with years to run ... Horny-Fracas aside

Is the fact that Crouch played round one this season, on one leg, a disaster for our salary cap?
He will have to be paid out now for 2025, which will go towards our salary cap. If he didn’t play round 1 it wouldn’t have triggered his contract extension.
Have I got this wrong?
Correct he needed to play 1 game to trigger... which he did

I fully expect we get MaCrae for a 3rd round pick , Soldo for a swap of 2nd round picks next year with a deal that moves Hayes to Port.
Then we use our first round picks on the best players available and we will be in great shape next year.

Also if they need a spare defender there should be a few that have been delisted or moved on(Tomlinson , Hayes , Young , Schache , Wederman - they may all be useless but they might fill a spot when needed) , so to me it not to worrying trying to fill Battles void knowing how Lyon floods the back line.
Howard , Wilkie play on the top forwards and Cordy is not a total spud and with Scheomaker developing we should be fine.
when was the last time Lyon flooded the back line?

we have been using a team rolling defence, not a flood. most of the time we will have one spare drop back, but usually it's pressure on the carrier so they bomb it in and we clear. not flooding at all

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is the fact that Crouch played round one this season, on one leg, a disaster for our salary cap?
He will have to be paid out now for 2025, which will go towards our salary cap. If he didn’t play round 1 it wouldn’t have triggered his contract extension.
Have I got this wrong?
Crouch salary is 600k which is a not to much in the big scheme of things when we were paying Hannerbery 850k , Billings 750k along with Greshams 700k.
And by all accounts we have enough salary cap to bring in a couple million dollar signings.
It has to be remembered Seb Ross was said to be on 650k and Membery was on more than that apparently and Battle was on 600k.

A lot of teams have so called stars on mega money who are not seen due to injury , Carlton have had a swag of them - Martin , Williams all on 800k+ and have hardly played.
Swans had Buddy who was lucky to play 10 games a season the 3 yrs at the club but they also had a guy on there books for 4 yrs who they got from the Crows who hardly fired a shot on big money - forgot his name but was a tall forward.

when was the last time Lyon flooded the back line?

we have been using a team rolling defence, not a flood. most of the time we will have one spare drop back, but usually it's pressure on the carrier so they bomb it in and we clear. not flooding at all

Well when I see Wood , Hill , and the half forwards in the back line it is pretty well flooded with only one guy in the forward line. - or is this what you call a rolling defense.
Many many times they can't kick the ball into the forward line because there is no one there.

Best thing about Byrnes is that he’s nowhere near his prime. Still has lots of development and energy left. Has a point to prove. Could become a genuinely good player if he maintains this new level of kicking he’s adopted in the back half of 2024

Goddard mentioned earlier this year that Byrnes was the one who looked to be a completely different athlete. I’m hoping the first half of this year was him not knowing how to utilise his extra bulk. His bulk, agility, speed, and aerobic capacity has the potential to be really damaging in the modern game, especially under Ross in a running game plan. We’ve seen glimpses of him taking on tackles and exploding out of contests - need to see this more consistently!
The competition isn't ready for 2025 PRIME BYRNES

I can't be the only one concerned about the lack of leadership forward of the ball next year. Now that Membrey is all but gone.

Wilkie down back, Steele in the middle but who is going to be directing players and positioning up forward, settling nerves and instructing?

Are we expecting King to add this to his game? Sharman? Maybe if we get a second ruck and Ro is played forward I could see that but in our most disorganised part of the ground we could benefit from an experienced leader.

Before we actually get the guy can we at least get his name right?

McRae
MacRea
McRea
MaCrae
McRay (ok I haven’t actually seen that version tbh)

I have no bloody idea which is correct!

Bad enough we have…
Byrnes, Brynes
Membrey, Membery
Steele, Steel
Clarke, Clark….

🙄

Last edited:

McRae
MacRea
McRea
MaCrae

Bad enough we have…
Byrnes, Brynes
Membrey, Membery
Steele, Steele
Clarke, Clark….

🙄
it's only a matter of time!

Macrae is correct. or technically MacRae I guess but I've always said Macrae

It was actually a bad concussion that wrecked Jones' 2023. Was obviously out with personal stuff at the start of the year, came back in & then got his bell rung & that was the end of his season.

His form early this year was pretty poor (I thought he'd be Capuano'ed after the Dogs game) but his last few months were bloody good.

Glad he got another year... hopefully he can keep that form running into 2025.
Love that you use ‘Capuano’ as well. Seen many Capuano games from many saints players over the years🤣

We might be hoping for just a little improvement from the likes of Pou, Garcia , Windhager.
I could be wrong but i might consider that most players haven't played their best footy in their first few years.
( mild condescending sarcasm ).
I like our kids. But other teams have elite kids too that can improve.

But thanks for going down that path - all class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Drug Cheats must be pissed off with getting Gresham . I checked his stats after a lot of games and most of the time he was struggling to get anywhere near 15 total disposals. I could be wrong as I didn’t check every game but he looked half the player he was at St Kilda , maybe he had different instructions, you never know what his job was . But I watched the Drug Cheats quite a few times and sometimes I didn’t even know he was playing until I went online and look at the stats .

McRae
MacRea
McRea
MaCrae

Bad enough we have…
Byrnes, Brynes
Membrey, Membery
Steele, Steele
Clarke, Clark….

🙄
Go easy Dyehard, it's hard for sum of us two get it write.

Where have you seen they want his salary off the books ? I think it’s been reported they want to keep him which is why I think they’ll be dicks about it

It has been widely reported in print and mentioned on talkback.

In the midfield the following players are ahead of Macrae. Bontempelli, Richards, Treloar, Liberatore.

Sanders will also be prioritised for midfield time while they also have players such as Vandermeer and McNeil who are quicker.

In addition, their salary cap will be under pressure with urgent re-signings for OOC players at the end of 2025:

Bontempelli (UFA)
Richards (RFA)
Liberatore (UFA)
Darcy
Treloar
Vandermeer

The top 4 are essential and (quite rightly) will cost plenty.

They have also recently re-signed English and Naughton to long term lucrative contracts.

There will be pressure on their cap to ensure all of those signings are accommodated.

I don't care about the SoS thing, I care that we're getting many cast offs from the same one club - I don't recall this club amounting to shit until very recently so why are we desperate to pick up the worst of their list?
It’s far from the worst of their list, them being told to look elsewhere had more to do with the Blues salary cap issues.

Seems like they’re very likely to land Houston, they need to free up some salary cap space to do that (plus resign TDK next year), clearly they feel Kennedy and Young are the ones to go.

Ok here goes Im going to have a go at a prospective trade period (be gentle) -

• Jacko McRae traded in Saints #43
  • Tomlinson Melbourne & Membrey Saints do a swap with Saints getting a late pick #61.
  • Paton traded to Richmond #57.
  • Hayes Saints & Soldo Port & another club do a 3 way trade Port also get pick #57.
  • Jai Serong Hawthorn to St Kilda 3rd round 2025 pick.

Still to be delisted Hotton, Cordy (paid out) and Crouch (retired).

National Draft picks - #7 Reid/Lalor, #8 Smillie/Allan, #24 Simms/Gerryn/Dodson #61 match a bid Cole. Rookies Peckett, Hofmann & small forward.

Ps.I went with Allan as he might be worth some trade value back to WA if he wants and we can target a Vic out of Perth.
Membrey is an unrestricted free agent we won’t get anything if he leaves.

Doubt we’d get anything for Paton or Hayes either honestly, would be nice though. Is Tomlinson really any better than Cordy?

Optimistic on Peckett falling out of the draft.

Jai Serong would be a great get.

He's no Zach Merrett, but Matt Kennedy is 27 and has always been a very serviceable midfielder. I was hoping he'd get to us when he was delisted by the Giants. If we miss Macrae, Peatling etc, I wouldn't be mad about him. Has a different set of attributes to the rest of our mids; leg speed, overhead marking, and a bit more versatility. Surely nothing more than a third rounder

ALSO SOS recruited Kennedy to Carlton
Leg speed??

He's been in the pre-christmas training groups and was using Logan Austin as a PT with a few of the more dedicated guys since he arrived. He's determined to make the most of his opportunity. He won't be an old guy in pub wishing he'd given it a better crack when he was young. I like a player that isn't born with excess talent but puts their head down and goes for it.
Exactly. That's the reason why I always stuck up for Seb Ross (of whom I think was treated poorly by the club in the way he was cast out, and at least deserved a better send off than what he got 200+ game player, leadership group for years, and 2B&F...c'mon, give the guy something as a send off. Even Newnes got a video FFS) Guys that extract the very best out of themselves and show resilience despite their limitations are just as important to have in the list as those more talented.
Byrnes is a good one... Hope to see him prove his doubters wrong.

Last edited:
Membrey is an unrestricted free agent we won’t get anything if he leaves.

Doubt we’d get anything for Paton or Hayes either honestly, would be nice though. Is Tomlinson really any better than Cordy?

Optimistic on Peckett falling out of the draft.

Jai Serong would be a great get.
Battle is also an unrestricted free agent.

You can still get compensation for UFA’s, but with Membreys age and the fact he’s probably not going to get big offers it’s probably unlikely he gets us anything decent if anything at all.

I’m surprised North have gone for Darling over Membrey to be honest, with Membrey being two years younger and coming off a better season.

Well when I see Wood , Hill , and the half forwards in the back line it is pretty well flooded with only one guy in the forward line. - or is this what you call a rolling defense.
Many many times they can't kick the ball into the forward line because there is no one there.
has nothing to do with a flood. a flood means at least 90% of the team are in the d50. a rolling defence means all players are up defending either space or their man

and very rarely was there no one ahead of the ball. in fact that was complete opposite in the back half of the season. the biggest issue we had was forward connection at the start because we were winning the ball at half back then giving opposition teams cover our forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back