List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of posts about the speed of our midfield. Ross has made it clear (through his actions) that Liam Henry will be given the chance to cement a spot in the centre square (if he gets a good preseason).

His body is struggling with the midfield so far. He seems to get injured when he plays there.

Lots of posts about the speed of our midfield. Ross has made it clear (through his actions) that Liam Henry will be given the chance to cement a spot in the centre square (if he gets a good preseason).

That probably rules out 2025 then.

Latest injury report had no timelines around his return to training where as all the others were post or pre Christmas etc..

Hope I'm wrong.

The only thing I'd say is that we are as quick as anyone on the outside and on the rebound. Winning the ball against sides like Port and Brisbane kills us often. Steele isn't fast but he's not slow and can rotate forward to rest. Kennedy and Phillipou can too. Macrae can play the bulk of the matches as the primary mid and use rotations through there. Also have Dow who might actually benefit from being able to get a bit more free to use his pace. We have lost a few seasons with midfield depth issues. This would really pad it out to have a dominant Sandy and St Kilda midfield.
Reading it at an insane level as always 🥰

Really , id suggest you are the one that needs to do some research before you come on here trying to be smart , Old Joe has Max covered in just about all stats at the same age

Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
Career Games​
83​
Calder Cannons​
Origin​
Sandringham Dragons​
March 4, 1994​
Date of Birth​
July 7, 2000​
Turned 24 in 2018​
Age​
24yr 2mth​
201cm​
Height​
202cm
96kg​
Weight​
100kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #10​
Last Draft Position​
Round 1, Pick #4​
Last Drafted By​
2018​
Stats for Season​
2024​
7​
Games​
Kicks​
7.0​
3.4​
Handballs​
3.4​
Disposals​
10.4​
Marks​
4.2​
1.1​
Goals​
Behinds​
1.0​
Tackles​
0.7​
Hitouts​
0​
Inside 50s​
2.5​
0.6​
Goal Assists​
0.6​
1.7​
Frees For​
1.7​
Frees Against​
1.2​
Contested Possessions​
5.1​
Uncontested Possessions​
5.5​
Effective Disposals​
6.8​
50.4%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
65.4%
Clangers​
2.9​
Contested Marks​
1.5​
Marks Inside 50​
1.8​
Clearances​
0.1​
Rebound 50s​
0​
One Percenters​
0.6​
Bounces​
0​
Time On Ground %​
86.2​
Centre Clearances​
0​
Stoppage Clearances​
0.1​
Score Involvements​
5.0​
Metres Gained​
213.4​
Turnovers​
3.2​
0.4​
Intercepts​
Tackles Inside 50​
0.2​
AFL Fantasy Score​
51.4​
Supercoach Score​
55.8​
Daniher had OP in 2018 & pulled the pin after 7 games.

Max hurt his knee 3 games in & battled through another 9 games where he couldn't jump and was running at half rat pace.

Probably the not the most effective data set to prove your point.

I would assume that if the club (ie, not BF nuffies) still have Kennedy on their radar then the plan would not be for all three to be in the starting midfield at the same time! There's this thing called rotations! Assumedly we would see Steele's role change somewhat, and we may even have enough mids to have cover for this other thing called "injuries".
We could also draft 2 gun mids with out first 2 picks and let them develop instead of doing the classic St Kilda move of recruiting so-so mids from other teams in the hope that they'll magically make us better, but instead end up clogging our list. Kennedy isn't a bad player, but he doesn't add any real quality to our team.

Don't like how we are topping up on rejects, McRea - a need
Kennedy - depends on cost I suppose, good depth
Now Towmey is reporting we are into Frost.
Really getting ahead of ourselves topping up with gops and wasting draft capital.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would assume that if the club (ie, not BF nuffies) still have Kennedy on their radar then the plan would not be for all three to be in the starting midfield at the same time! There's this thing called rotations! Assumedly we would see Steele's role change somewhat, and we may even have enough mids to have cover for this other thing called "injuries".
Again, Kennedy is wanting a move to play more midfield time.

Steele is a better midfielder than Kennedy so it makes no sense to move him out to accomodate for him.

No doubt we would be rotating, but if Kennedy is coming over for more midfield minutes, the other two are going to play big midfield minutes, it leaves little room for the young guys with pace.

We’ve been rolling around with one paced midfields for the last 10 years, you’d think we have learnt something by now.

Again, Kennedy is wanting a move to play more midfield time.

Steele is a better midfielder than Kennedy so it makes no sense to move him out to accomodate for him.

No doubt we would be rotating, but if Kennedy is coming over for more midfield minutes, the other two are going to play big midfield minutes, it leaves little room for the young guys with pace.

We’ve been rolling around with one paced midfields for the last 10 years, you’d think we have learnt something by now.
Yep. Kennedy is bang average. Don't need another list clogger like that. Just give the minutes to mids that might actually end up being something.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't like how we are topping up on rejects, McRea - a need
Kennedy - depends on cost I suppose, good depth
Now Towmey is reporting we are into Frost.
Really getting ahead of ourselves topping up with gops and wasting draft capital.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not worried about McCrae for a third or 4th rounder. He'll pay dividends for next 2-3 years.

If we can keep our first 3 picks (7, 8, 24)

I'd consider trading F1 for some clubs year's second rounder and third rounder this year.

Give one of those for a top up back (like Frost or Young)
And take the other to the draft.

FA next year and retain F2 and F3

feels like all the best sides have multiple players who can play as inside mids.

Feels like we are banking on Steele and Macrae and that’s it.
Exactly, we need multiple experienced options.. otherwise, if Steele is injured, we’re back to square one.. Plus contested ball is our biggest problem, never a bad idea to fix this in one shot with Kennedy and Macrae. To me, Macrae is inside/outside.

This again where the free agency thing is hurting clubs like St Kilda.

• Our players are timing their contracts to when their free agency is up then putting themselves on the market and leaving us.

• We have to take unnecessary risks with longer contracts to get them over the free agency hump.

Hope the AFL come good with a decent compensation model (alternatively a revised or abandoned scheme) or it will be happening year in year out with us.

People argue that they don't need compensation, that the free'd up cap is compensation enough.
What a load of crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he’ll be more of a burst player. I mean just look at him, he’s a stick. High impact when he goes in but I doubt he can be a 100% mid.

Daniher had OP in 2018 & pulled the pin after 7 games.

Max hurt his knee 3 games in & battled through another 9 games where he couldn't jump and was running at half rat pace.

Probably the not the most effective data set to prove your point.
I didn't pick that year to try and prove anything , I just put into footywire same age and that's what it showed me , I didn't fact check it so yes maybe it isn't the best guide but i still stick my view that Max does not have a lot of body strength which others have also said and can be pushed aside easily , lets hope he can find the gym over summer and do something about it.

I now await that troll to come and give me me his customary LOL

I want us to back Windy in.
We backed him in and he was good but ATM he’s looking like another no damage midfielder and was moved out of there before he got injured. You’re always going to need contest winners so I actually wouldn’t mind seeing him play forward next year.

I'll give you 2 reasons to sign up long term.

1, Free agency he is coming up to that at the end of next year

2, Tasmania and it's lure for marque players the AFL will target players to get them there.

I just don’t see risking stuffing our list management to ensure we keep one potentially good player as worth it. But I see I’m fighting a loosing battle. I hope y’all are right I simply don’t think it’s worth it.

Once Max King has the body which allows him to be “The Man”. He is going to tear teams apart.

He has never had a full year as a forward since under bottom age TAC. Which was his first year he was moved from the midfield to forward line. It is also going to take a while for his mindset to become “the man” up forward just because of the journey he has been on.

I am looking forward to what we do this off season. Between RTB, Enright, Harvey, Goddard, Hayes, Misson, Gubby, SOS and Dalrymple. I don’t think they are going to make bad decisions at the trade table and draft. There is too much knowledge and experience to mess it up.

That probably rules out 2025 then.

Latest injury report had no timelines around his return to training where as all the others were post or pre Christmas etc..

Hope I'm wrong.
The knee injury he copped was not good , significant cartilage damage is never a good thing to have and god knows when we will see him next

People argue that they don't need compensation, that the free'd up cap is compensation enough.
What a load of crap.
Damien Barrett argues there should be no free agency compensation. Shows how limited his intelligence is. All that would do is further enhance the gap between the best and the worst. And make it very hard to get out of a death spiral. As a cellar dweller, every time you start developing talent and are poised to rise up the ladder, your best young talent would get picked off by big clubs/teams in the top 4 and you’d be back to square one.

Damien Barrett argues there should be no free agency compensation. Shows how limited his intelligence is. All that would do is further enhance the gap between the best and the worst. And make it very hard to get out of a death spiral. As a cellar dweller, every time you start developing talent and are poised to rise up the ladder, your best young talent would get picked off by big clubs/teams in the top 4 and you’d be back to square one.

There's a point, if you increase the salary cap enough, where the lower clubs could amass such a war chest that players would move for money primarily rather than other considerations. Only then would the salary cap start to fully achieve it's objective: a pseudo talent cap. We've seen this happen only a couple of times: Gary Ablett and Tom Scully. The difference in contract offers was so great that the offer was too good to refuse. They left clubs for ones lower on the ladder.

TL;DR: AFL players need to be paid more.

Twomey said the McRae one is interesting, in relation to the trade because stkilda want to bring in young talent in the draft.
So it looks like that’s what we will do and this year will only be players of low currency bought in - maybe Peatling highest value but I doubt that happens anyway.
So the only thing we need to stress about is getting pick 8 or not.
Next off season I reckon this board will blow up though, with all the cash/draft capital we’ll be throwing around.

There's a point, if you increase the salary cap enough, where the lower clubs could amass such a war chest that players would move for money primarily rather than other considerations. Only then would the salary cap start to fully achieve it's objective: a pseudo talent cap. We've seen this happen only a couple of times: Gary Ablett and Tom Scully. The difference in contract offers was so great that the offer was too good to refuse. They left clubs for ones lower on the ladder.

TL;DR: AFL players need to be paid more.
The problem is that all club have the same salary cap, so yes the poor clubs can build up a huge war chest but the bigger the salary cap the less the draw of pure cash becomes. For a player $800K per year is a lot less than $1.1 m and would be a reason to leave a top club for a cellar dweller. However, the same cannot be said for $1.8 m Vs $1.5m at that point the difference becomes less relevant than the potential for success. Once you have sufficient to set yourself up for life the amount becomes less important. If we keep increasing the salary cap that is where we will end up.
Don't forget the AFL don't really want equality it doesn't suit their profit maximization strategy. They make more by having the power clubs at the top of the tree than the poor clubs so why break the status quo. Look at the premier league, they have the same teams up the top all the time and the AFL would love to emulate their success. Competition is important for success, but it does not need to be extended to everybody and in fact you could argue too much equalization is counter-productive from a profit perspective.

What a load of crap.
Those people are smooth brained as all hell.

Why bother even have a trade system at all if you allow 25/26yos just entering their prime years to **** off for nothing after 7 years of development. It will absolutely destroy the smaller clubs who cant offer as much off field advantage as the Collingwoods and the like.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back