List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I was speaking to my mate earlier who works for a company where Jake Stringer does some part-time work during the year.

All jokes aside given the recent articles about Stringer, the company my mate works for is a legit, well known company linked to the big build and metro tunnel projects here in Melbourne. At first I was surprised Stringer would be working a second job part-time in this field, however I'm aware many players have side gigs and business interests, and perhaps he's gearing up for life after footy in a few years.

Anyways, Stringer has apparently been openly telling people in the crew he works with that he won't be at the Essendon next year and will most likely end up at the Saints or if that doesn't work out then most likely end up at the Swans.

I was shocked when he told me. My mate isn't one to make up stuff, however I can't speak for his colleagues who work directly with Stringer and passed on this info.

Make of it what you will, I'm no ITK, however thought I'd share this info! Personally I hate the thought of Stringer playing for us. Culturally, his age, the stories about him and with our list profile it just doesn't make sense. Has anyone with any sort of links to the club heard anything? Anyways, I guess we'll find out for sure in the next few weeks.

Go saints
There is more chance of me playing for the saints than Stringer , not doubting you mate but I can't see a contracted player walking around mouthing off that he wont be at his current club to people he hardly knows .
I know its Stringer but not even he could be so fecking stupid

They probably don't impact for 3 to 5 years so realistically we need both. We can't delay improvement for another 5 years. Careers will have come and gone in that time.
You'd probably say we have enough established mids as it is. We'll get improvement from Windhager, Philippou, Henry and so on. We have established mids in Macrae, Dow, Clark, and Steele. There's no point bringing in Kennedy when you've got 2 top 10 picks to spend on mids.

Many of the top performing sides of the last 5-10 years have young players performing well for them. Looking at GF sides from the past few years, Brisbane had Fletcher (would've had Ashcroft if not for the ACL), Sydney had blokes like Gulden, Warner, and Stephens, the Dees had Pickett, Jackson, Bowey, and Rivers.

If its good enough for the best teams in the comp to be playing young kids in big games, then its good enough for us to back in the kids. No point wrapping them in cotton wool whilst we let a GOP take us nowhere for 2 years whilst the kids "develop".

There is more chance of me playing for the saints than Stringer , not doubting you mate but I can't see a contracted player walking around mouthing off that he wont be at his current club to people he hardly knows .
I know its Stringer but not even he could be so fecking stupid
Hes also outside our recruiting profile (medium forward with injury issues and age) plus the myriad of behaviourals hes got.

Thomas (whilst im VERY glad we steered clear) was a young mid, i can understand why we might have had some interest. Stringer isnt.

Naz should've been in the AA 40.
Pou was poor early, but did the work and looked good towards the end...but I would agree that he's not quite there yet.
Wilson I thought had an excellent debut season...faded a bit mid year, when the whole team was poor, but came home with the wind in his sails.
Think Wilson, with his run, ability to take a strong mark, and get on the scoreboard reasonably regularly will be big for him next year.
To me he's shown more than Pou, and looks very likely. He may not be a star yet, but it won't take long.

Still not many will become a key player before their third year. Nas has been super fast and in his third year really stepped up. Wilson tracking well too but realistically they are the hen's teeth players. Most take 3 to 5 years to get to the point where they can contribute as a top 10 player in the side. The first 50 games is usually getting a feel for the game and the next 50 gaining confidence and then the real power burst comes.

Still not many will become a key player before their third year. Nas has been super fast and in his third year really stepped up. Wilson tracking well too but realistically they are the hen's teeth players. Most take 3 to 5 years to get to the point where they can contribute as a top 10 player in the side. The first 50 games is usually getting a feel for the game and the next 50 gaining confidence and then the real power burst comes.
You have changed your tune, you said nothing about being a top 10 player, you said recruits don't have an impact for 3-5 years.
You are correct, a player takes at least that long to reach their peak playing potential.

However your original assertion that they have no impact for three to 5 is not correct.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'd probably say we have enough established mids as it is. We'll get improvement from Windhager, Philippou, Henry and so on. We have established mids in Macrae, Dow, Clark, and Steele. There's no point bringing in Kennedy when you've got 2 top 10 picks to spend on mids.

Many of the top performing sides of the last 5-10 years have young players performing well for them. Looking at GF sides from the past few years, Brisbane had Fletcher (would've had Ashcroft if not for the ACL), Sydney had blokes like Gulden, Warner, and Stephens, the Dees had Pickett, Jackson, Bowey, and Rivers.

If its good enough for the best teams in the comp to be playing young kids in big games, then its good enough for us to back in the kids. No point wrapping them in cotton wool whilst we let a GOP take us nowhere for 2 years whilst the kids "develop".

Kennedy can win the ball out of the midfield.
He often gets 14+ contested possessions.
The stats i am referring to here are his current season stats, where he often played forward.

There seems to be this idea that its "out of fashion" that younger players take a while.
I could try to put up a concise argument against it , but i think i'll simply call bullshit.

In general teams are pretty happy if their new players can perform a role and not be a liability. Remember when we played Rob Eddy? Sure sometimes he had good games, but it wasn't like he influenced games.

Harley Reid gets similar sorts of stats to Kennedy. We won't be getting Harley Reid from this draft. Not even with pick 1.
McKercher and Duursma don't win contested ball or clearances.
Ryley Sanders will be a terrific player, but his stats for CP's and clearance are currentlynowhere near Kennedy.
Caleb Windsor started to play very good footy towards the end of the season, but once again, well behind Kennedy.

But sure , lets manage our list allowing for good luck.

You have changed your tune, you said nothing about being a top 10 player, you said recruits don't have an impact for 3-5 years.
You are correct, a player takes at least that long to reach their peak playing potential.

However your original assertion that they have no impact for three to 5 is not correct.

Depends what you mean by impact.
I thought that Wilson performed his role admirably for the year.
I think he impacted maybe one or two games. The Geelong game a breakout?

Ask yourself why North are at the bottom.

The stats i am referring to here are his current season stats, where he often played forward.

There seems to be this idea that its "out of fashion" that younger players take a while.
I could try to put up a concise argument against it , but i think i'll simply call bullshit.

In general teams are pretty happy if their new players can perform a role and not be a liability. Remember when we played Rob Eddy? Sure sometimes he had good games, but it wasn't like he influenced games.

Harley Reid gets similar sorts of stats to Kennedy. We won't be getting Harley Reid from this draft. Not even with pick 1.
Ryley Sanders will be a terrific player, but his stats for CP's and clearance are currentlynowhere near Kennedy.
Caleb Windsor started to play very good footy towards the end of the season, but once again, well behind Kennedy.

I dont think its quite as simple as "Is Kennedy a good midfielder" though.

No doubt hed walk into our midfield but then were losing time and development for Pou, Windy, Wilson all of whom have shown far more upside than Kennedy and already have a year or more playing under Ross and the system and style we play.

List balance and chemistry is as important (if not more important) than personnel. Macrae seems as good as done, if we get Jack then Matt becomes an extra older, inside mid and the balance is skewed.

We have established mids in Macrae, Dow, Clark, and Steele. There's no point bringing in Kennedy when you've got 2 top 10 picks to spend on mids.

Clark and Dow are established mids.

Dow hell no.

Clark is 'established' in the sense that if he is fit, he currently gets a game ahead of seb ross and max hall.

That is this level of 'established':

Big Brother Struggle GIF by Big Brother Australia

Depends what you mean by impact.
I thought that Wilson performed his role admirably for the year.
I think he impacted maybe one or two games. The Geelong game a breakout?

Ask yourself why North are at the bottom.
So he had an impact then.

North are bottom because they gutted their list. What has that got to do with anything?
Our team is not full of kids. GWS early would have been a better example. Even then Green was getting 40 possessions a game.

I'm interested in what people think about Windhagers potential.
I initially thought he could be a Joel Selwood type with the way he runs straight at the ball with intensity.
Now he's learning his trade as a tagger, which is fair enough, but I'd like to think he can become a ball winning, clearance star.
Where do you see him getting to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt hed walk into our midfield but then were losing time and development for Pou, Windy, Wilson

We're not- if kennedy and macrae come in and it's dow+ jones + clark that are relegated to playing vfl and providing injury cover.

Same mid opportunities exist with macrae and kennedy in for pou, wilson, windy etc as exist now.

We're not- if kennedy and macrae come in and it's dow+ jones + clark that relegated to playing vfl and providing injury cover.

Same mid opportunities with macrae and kennedy exist for pou, wilson, windy etc as exist now.
They absolutely don’t, it’s one less spot. Personally I think Kennedy would be the vfl spot because Macrae is better but it’s also gonna be form based.

Kennedy is surplus to need if we get Macrae.

This is the biggest thing, been played all over the shop in Bevos ever rotating whiteboard.

I get the Kennedy appeal too but the other element here is we should only get one and if Macrae has nommed us then we’ve clearly spoken to him as well, to back out of that now to pursue someone else looks horrible to other FAs (LDU etc).

Macrae has the experience, still has some miles in the legs and wants to come to us (he should also cost sweet FA trade wise)
He will be an awesome recruit for us. He's like Crouch but better. He's 30 and hardly ever been injured. Bevo went off him for whatever reason but he will basically come in and instantly be our best mid. Honestly think we'll be like a different midfield with Macrae in the mix.

I initially thought he could be a Joel Selwood type with the way he runs straight at the ball with intensity.
Now he's learning his trade as a tagger, which is fair enough, but I'd like to think he can become a ball winning, clearance star.
Like a lot of young players, there's potential as a mid, but needs to build his tank, and work on his attacking game with the coaches, and the rest is up to him. Selwood had that ability to lift to the next level in crunch games, and that's what makes an elite mid.

In his draft year he was touted as an explosive mid. I saw him a bit more in the Petracca mould where he would burst from contests and hit the scoreboard. I thought in 2023 he was doing a defensive apprenticeship to make his game a bit more well rounded, but it seems to have stuck. I'm a bit worried that he's lost that attacking side to his game. I think he's a lot better than just an in and under mid. I really hope he becomes that high impact player we all saw in 2022, but I'm not sure.

Dunkley is the defensive mid, Berry and Luggage more inside outside or outside, Neale more coalface. We probably want to think about the structures as much as the numbers. Steele is a two way mid who plays accountable. Pou and Macrae probably more one way and extractor types. Perhaps someone like Windy as a more defensive option and play one outside from high half forward.
We need to rotate 6-7 players through midfield, not just 3-4..

Seniors: Steele, Macrae, Jones, Clark
Juniors: Philipou, Windhager

That’s not enough given there will always be injuries

Hence we need more mids, Kennedy will be an inside bull next to Steele, see Macrae as an inside/outside mid but more outside.

Our biggest problem is clearance and contested ball, if we can fix the problem with Kennedy and Macrae in one off season, why not.. Pick 7 and 8 are the cream on top, they are for future and not necessarily now. we can not bank on first year players making a huge impact. Young bodies will break down and be inconsistent. Especially playing inside mid which is a physically taxing position and should be eased in until they can bang and crash against bigger bodies like Cripps, Bont, Danger etc.

Last edited:
He will be an awesome recruit for us. He's like Crouch but better. He's 30 and hardly ever been injured. Bevo went off him for whatever reason but he will basically come in and instantly be our best mid. Honestly think we'll be like a different midfield with Macrae in the mix.
Yep - Macrae replaces Ross

If Crouch is done its a no brainer to chase Kennedy - Kennedy replaces Crouch

As for the "kids" none of them are ready to take up full time midfield positions. Even if one or two step up next year then Jones and Stocker will be OOC so they don't get renewed.

If its 2 years then Macrae will be almost done anyway and Dow's contract will be up.

Progression, progression progression - rotations rotations rotations.

Tough to compare that draft class. Reid was the only one of the top 10 that saw consistent midfield minutes. Sanders had 2 games above 40% CBAs, McKercher was a HB, Duursma was a forward, and Windsor was a winger.

So he had an impact then.

North are bottom because they gutted their list. What has that got to do with anything?
Our team is not full of kids. GWS early would have been a better example. Even then Green was getting 40 possessions a game.

If kids can "impact" straight away, North should be right in the mix, or at least winning the odd game.
So if we play a new draftee , and we're lucky enough that he is good enough to get picked each week, he might impact one or two games.

Kids can develop without having to play at AFL level each week. Some of the top sides are testimony to this.
Tom Mitchell was absolutely hammering at the door before he got a game with the Swans. He sure as hell made an impact when he did.

Tough to compare that draft class. Reid was the only one of the top 10 that saw consistent midfield minutes. Sanders had 2 games above 40% CBAs, McKercher was a HB, Duursma was a forward, and Windsor was a winger.

Yep,
but people are able to sit here and say the ( unknown ) mids we are going to draft will be able to hold up our midfield in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back