List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you have blokes like Henry at centre square, and Stocker doing the tagging job. Frees up Windy to play a mid role.
We have a large amount rotating through the mids, the question is do we need McRea and Kennedy when we should be having a natural progression of Pou, Windy, Wilson etc stepping up.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We don't need either of those players, but imo Macrae kind of optimises our list. Balances it out with experience and maturity while we still have so many inexperienced bodies playing against men

Ultimately, I'd much prefer Macrae over a third round pick. People will argue we picked Hugo and Arie around this point but there's a certain point where you can have way too many kids at once without enough leadership to mentor them. It'd put way too much pressure on the likes of Steele Row Sincs Wilks to be the only real leaders in a 45-man squad

hawks brought in the iffy mitchell who then won a brownlow.

Lions brought in an iffy neale who did the same, twice.

There are truckloads of examples of teams trading in 'iffy' mids and having success- those are just the headline grabbing ones where it was a gigantic homerun.
Lots of less dramatic (but still successful) examples exist also.

Hell, carlton brought in a very iffy goat from freo- and that turned out pretty well for them

View attachment 2115474
Those 2 were never 'iffy' and they were both young with a ton of upside.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

i will throw in one defence of kennedy & i dont really like the guy(for non football reasons,this atheist dont believe in any hell,but same time i dont like sanctimonious axxholes telling me thats where im going)but im willing to put that aside if it makes the saints better

but my defence is that he never really has got that chance,he has always been the next guy in at both clubs,i think the main question here is would he take games and progression from our kids?on the other hand we cant go on endlessly about our midfield(lack of)then not try to improve it

as opposed to other guys,he really has never been put into a midfield and told"your the man till you prove you cant be"we have the midfield that can make that happen,personally i would be interested to see what hes got if given that chance

Those reasons include he's slow, kicks lack penetration and is beaten on the spread.
Does it really matter if he is slow? We are recruiting him to be on the bottom of the pack, not to add to our outside run.

As long as he can run to an acceptable AFL standard and get the ball to Hill/Henry/Sinclair/NWM running past him, he will be a great addition.

Those reasons include he's slow, kicks lack penetration and is beaten on the spread.

Kennedy is a no brainer if we can get him for a 3rd round pick, late 2nd. Much better player than Dow, Jones, Byrnes, Stocker etc.
Jack Steele is slow and he goes alright

Kennedy for a late 2nd would be the biggest scam of all time. Why do you focus on Macrae's downfalls and not Kennedy's? Terrible kick, slow, and doesn't have any standout attributes that would make him better than a C+ player

Jack Steele is slow and he goes alright

Kennedy for a late 2nd would be the biggest scam of all time. Why do you focus on Macrae's downfalls and not Kennedy's? Terrible kick, slow, and doesn't have any standout attributes that would make him better than a C+ player
3 time AA is a C+ player?

Totally ignoring the depth we already have sure Steele and or Macrae might get injured or need load management but then

Windy, Jones, Clark, Dow, Wilson, Garcia. If Kennedy is gonna sit in this group (which he will) whats the point?

I dont particularly care TBH, we just dont need him and hes not A grade (on output or potential), the only two reasons i think you trade for someone.
This nails it for me. Final game of the year, Phillipou had zero CBAs, Garcia was sub and Jones got pushed out to a wing. This is despite Windy & Henry being injured, Ross & Crouch already on the outer. We went with Steele / Clark / Dow / Stocker.

As a rule we'll run 4 primary mid rotations, with Steele playing a large % TOG. If we're going to use Windy/Stocker in a run-with role, having Steele/Macrae/Kennedy as the others leaves an extremely limited amount of opportunities available to be shared between Pou Clark Dow Garcia Jones Wilson Henry Owens Sinclair etc. Not to mention the draftees. Even Macrae I am a bit hesitant about, but Kennedy would definitely be one too many and doesn't improve the side enough to justify it (as opposed to Merrett etc).

There are plenty of other areas where we lack depth or quality (ruck, small fwd, key defender) and should be focusing, instead of adding another mid who isn't going to move the needle very far. List spots are scarce, the only way I could see us pursuing Kennedy is if someone else gets traded out, but the only guys with currency are the kids I'd rather keep developing. Pass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd probably say we have enough established mids as it is. We'll get improvement from Windhager, Philippou, Henry and so on. We have established mids in Macrae, Dow, Clark, and Steele. There's no point bringing in Kennedy when you've got 2 top 10 picks to spend on mids.

Many of the top performing sides of the last 5-10 years have young players performing well for them. Looking at GF sides from the past few years, Brisbane had Fletcher (would've had Ashcroft if not for the ACL), Sydney had blokes like Gulden, Warner, and Stephens, the Dees had Pickett, Jackson, Bowey, and Rivers.

If its good enough for the best teams in the comp to be playing young kids in big games, then its good enough for us to back in the kids. No point wrapping them in cotton wool whilst we let a GOP take us nowhere for 2 years whilst the kids "develop".

I think there is probably a perfect formula with kids to experience. The young players often reinvigorate a stale list and bring enthusiasm and hope. You can probably carry three under 50 games and another 3 to 6 under 100 games in your best 22 before you start getting much less competitive.

I think we want to improve the depth and quality fo the senior mids that we do have. We've struggled for 4 years with injury to the midfield.

You have changed your tune, you said nothing about being a top 10 player, you said recruits don't have an impact for 3-5 years.
You are correct, a player takes at least that long to reach their peak playing potential.

However your original assertion that they have no impact for three to 5 is not correct.

You can use your common sense though can't you? I'm seriously wondering about you lately.

So he had an impact then.

North are bottom because they gutted their list. What has that got to do with anything?
Our team is not full of kids. GWS early would have been a better example. Even then Green was getting 40 possessions a game.

We have 20 x 23 and under. They have 24 x 23 and under. We will get younger again as we move older guys out and more youth in at the draft and they'll probably balance that a bit trying to bulk out their experience.

We are going to be one of the youngest lists in the comp next year I think.

Neale and Mitchell weren’t iffy.

Neale was 2x B&F (and 1x runner up) before he moved.

Tom Mitchell had 26 touches 13 tackles and 2 goals in a grand final his last game for Sydney.

Kennedy is not and never will be on their level.

Plenty of hindsight applied here.

Totally agree that matt kennedy is not and never will be at their level- i didn't say he was.

But mitchell was offloaded by the swans because he was iffy- despite his ability to get 40 touches etc a game, horse didnt rate him and happily sent him packing.

Pretty much the same as what happened (in reverse) with josh kennedy from hawks to swans- he was considered iffy/surplus and traded- then kicked on to be a big success for the swans.

As for neale- again, despite bnfs etc, he wasnt rated highly enough (by rtb) to stop him from leaving while contracted.

The point is- there are plenty of examples of where mids aren't rated high enough to keep by their club (like kennedy is)- and then they go on to hit new heights elsewhere

I think there is probably a perfect formula with kids to experience. The young players often reinvigorate a stale list and bring enthusiasm and hope. You can probably carry three under 50 games and another 3 to 6 under 100 games in your best 22 before you start getting much less competitive.

I think we want to improve the depth and quality fo the senior mids that we do have. We've struggled for 4 years with injury to the midfield.

You can use your common sense though can't you? I'm seriously wondering about you lately.
How about you make yourself clear. I can't help it if your confused ramblings are all.over the shop and change like the wind. You sound like Donald Trump lately.

Our most successful period as a club was built off the back of drafting midfielders.
Dal Santo- P13 2001
Hayes- P11 1998
Goddard- P1 2002
Ball- P2 2001

All of these guys were contributing by 2004.

I can't name a team who traded in iffy mids and had success as a result. Kennedy takes us absolutely nowhere, he might have a B+ season as a career best.

Those guys were supported by a handy senior group and Goddard was terrible for his first few years and even when he did make it he was more utility than mid. I think that shows that getting drafting right is the most important factor. Collingwood stacked themselves with mature iffy mids that had a high impact around what they already had and won a flag.

How about you make yourself clear. I can't help it if your confused ramblings are all.over the shop and change like the wind. You sound like Donald Trump lately.

You say that to cope with always being wrong. I'm clear and don't change until the situation changes. You are still stuck 10 years ago. You have turned into some kind of belligerent Plugger66 clone.

i will throw in one defence of kennedy & i dont really like the guy(for non football reasons,this atheist dont believe in any hell,but same time i dont like sanctimonious axxholes telling me thats where im going)but im willing to put that aside if it makes the saints better

but my defence is that he never really has got that chance,he has always been the next guy in at both clubs,i think the main question here is would he take games and progression from our kids?on the other hand we cant go on endlessly about our midfield(lack of)then not try to improve it

as opposed to other guys,he really has never been put into a midfield and told"your the man till you prove you cant be"we have the midfield that can make that happen,personally i would be interested to see what hes got if given that chance

His first year at the Blues was outstanding but for what ever reason they moved him out of the midfield. Probably because he can play forward as well.

This nails it for me. Final game of the year, Phillipou had zero CBAs, Garcia was sub and Jones got pushed out to a wing. This is despite Windy & Henry being injured, Ross & Crouch already on the outer. We went with Steele / Clark / Dow / Stocker.

As a rule we'll run 4 primary mid rotations, with Steele playing a large % TOG. If we're going to use Windy/Stocker in a run-with role, having Steele/Macrae/Kennedy as the others leaves an extremely limited amount of opportunities available to be shared between Pou Clark Dow Garcia Jones Wilson Henry Owens Sinclair etc. Not to mention the draftees. Even Macrae I am a bit hesitant about, but Kennedy would definitely be one too many and doesn't improve the side enough to justify it (as opposed to Merrett etc).

There are plenty of other areas where we lack depth or quality (ruck, small fwd, key defender) and should be focusing, instead of adding another mid who isn't going to move the needle very far. List spots are scarce, the only way I could see us pursuing Kennedy is if someone else gets traded out, but the only guys with currency are the kids I'd rather keep developing. Pass

Sandringham needs mids too. It just means that your depth is better. If Clark is performing poorly he's at Sandy. Jones and Dow are break glass. Kids can develop in the VFL and be put back up when their performance warrants it.

We can't stay in perpetual rebuild mode. At some point we ned to pay some dividends.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back