List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Ollie hotton managed by the same people that manage josh battle?

feels like all the best sides have multiple players who can play as inside mids.

Feels like we are banking on Steele and Macrae and that’s it.
Clarke did a good job as an inside mid. No coincidence when he found form and fitness we performed a lot better as a midfield. Clarke on a second watch each week did a lot of nitty gritty stuff in tight. 2025 if he stays healthy, and being a contract year should be a huge year for him. I think he’s capable of becoming an A grader. Just needs an uninterrupted season to prove it.

certainly sounds like merrett is in damage control,but he has the right fan base to fool,doesnt even have to try very hard id imagine,if the ones that cross our path here are any indication

i love essendon
im a sensetive new aged guy that discussed it with my partner
its all st.kildas fault

its ok zach,you play for a bunch of morons,no need to grease it so hard
What's with Merrett and Shiel both yapping to the media about the Saints? They're like, sooooo obsessed with us.

We can’t give GWS the pick they traded to us. The AFL will block that trade.

A club cannot trade back a pick they have previously traded-out.
Pick 27 last year - was originally Gold Coast's future second rounder, traded to Adelaide in 2022 in a draft night pick trade, went back to Gold Coast as part of the Burgess deal last year. Funnily enough was then traded to us draft night and turned into Hastie.

Clarke did a good job as an inside mid. No coincidence when he found form and fitness we performed a lot better as a midfield. Clarke on a second watch each week did a lot of nitty gritty stuff in tight. 2025 if he stays healthy, and being a contract year should be a huge year for him. I think he’s capable of becoming an A grader. Just needs an uninterrupted season to prove it.

Yep Clarck’s second half of the year was pretty promising. We need that Claac consistently though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be very interesting to see which of the fringe mids are able to stake a claim in the regular team with Jake McCroy immediately becoming a starting onballer.

Steele and Pou are definites. Windy, Clark, Dow, Jones and Garcia probably competing for two spots (potentially along with a couple of top 10 draft picks).

Dow is up against it considering he's probably the only one-position player in the mix. I also don't see the point in pursuing any other mid GOPs like Kennedy.

Then if Crouch makes it back it would be even more interesting.

Merret and his management using us to boost his contract (or get an infra red sauna in the club rooms or WHATEVER it was) isn’t anything to be shocked about, I think we’ll start to see more of those sorts of discussion become public.

The funny thing to me about it (and it seemed blatantly obvious from the second that rumour got out) is that no offer ever went. There was a broad strokes, ball park discussion about IF we can facilitate a trade and IF you’re interested in coming X dollars and Y years is the figure in mind (or they dictated those things and we said yes).

That’s just not an offer, it’s so far from being anything tangible it’s a ****ing pointless hypothetical, it’s got about as much basis in fact as half the shit we kick the tires on here.

So for Merret to be doing ****ing media about it now is truly, truly bizarre.

Last edited:
It will be very interesting to see which of the fringe mids are able to stake a claim in the regular team with Jake McCroy immediately becoming a starting onballer.

Steele and Pou are definites. Windy, Clark, Dow, Jones and Garcia probably competing for two spots (potentially along with a couple of top 10 draft picks).

Dow is up against it considering he's probably the only one-position player in the mix. I also don't see the point in pursuing any other mid GOPs like Kennedy.

Then if Crouch makes it back it would be even more interesting.
Can't see us going up the ladder with that lot unless Pou, Windy and Garcia step up to the next level of development. Steele, Clark, Dow Jones, are probably as good as they will ever get, though Macrae will add some class. It will be a fight for senior midfield positions, so I hope they all have their bodies right by the next preseason.

Can't see us going up the ladder with that lot unless Pou, Windy and Garcia step up to the next level of development. Steele, Clark, Dow Jones, are probably as good as they will ever get, though Macrae will add some class. It will be a fight for senior midfield positions, so I hope they all have their bodies right by the next preseason.
I think the gain we have is with two consistent, first choice mids (Steele and Macrae) even if one is injured we have consistency. Everyone else listed, potentially coming in whatever is going to have form and injury but we have a selection mix now where we are going to be less reliant on playing the same giys regardless of whether they’re playing well or not.

Merret and his management using us to boost his contract (or get an infra red sauna in the club rooms or WHATEVER it was) isn’t anything to be shocked about, I think we’ll start to see more of those sorts of discussion become public.

The funny thing to me about it (and it seemed blatantly obvious from the second that rumour got out) is that no offer ever went. There was a broad strokes, ball park discussion about IF we can facilitate a trade and IF you’re interested in coming X dollars and Y years is the figure in mind (or they dictated those things and we said yes).

That’s just not an offer, it’s so far from being anything tangible it’s a ****ing pointless hypothetical, it’s got about as much basis in fact as half the shit we kick the tires on here.

I’m hoping our list management team is just having a little bit of fun but more importantly that they are making deliberate moves to create some noise and activity on the St Kilda trading front - leverage off deluded EssEnding players, let them squawk to deluded journo’s - create some talk - wait for the player managers to come to us to enquire about potential opportunities for their players and have discreet conversations with those people we would like to talk to who haven’t already reached out to us

Stay relevant, roll out the smoke and mirrors- get good deals done

Thought Merrett did exactly what was needed.

Clearly we threw an idea out to his manager and clearly it was big enough for it not to be rejected out of hand. (Lets say 6 × $1.5M)

Manager tells Merrett, he goes f*** thats massive, I'll need to think about that.

So he discusses it with his partner and they decide that no we'll be loyal and stick with Essendon.

Now iis up to Essendon to do the right thing by him.

Thought Merrett did exactly what was needed.

Clearly we threw an idea out to his manager and clearly it was big enough for it not to be rejected out of hand. (Lets say 6 × $1.5M)

Manager tells Merrett, he goes f*** thats massive, I'll need to think about that.

So he discusses it with his partner and they decide that no we'll be loyal and stick with Essendon.

Now iis up to Essendon to do the right thing by him.
I don’t think it’s clear at all that we approached him (we’ve also denied it). We might have, his management might have approached us. Frankly none of that really matters, I’d expect our list team to be speaking to about 400 players management teams.

My point wasn’t really about that though, my point was much more about the fact that him now doing interviews and media about a very VERY preliminary discussion purely to gauge his interest is pretty ****ing odd. Perhaps it’ll become more common (you see it a bit in US sports and a little in the Rugby League) but I can’t think of another instance of a non retired player doing media about a deal that DIDNT happen, let alone one that clearly didn’t get beyond a conceptual idea

The age has us as looking at 31 year old, injured (and contracted) sam frost.

The age has us as looking at 31 year old, injured (and contracted) sam frost.
We should really only be looking at contracted players so it doesn’t impact our FA compo from Battle.

I’d rather Young from Carlton personally but I can see why we’d look at Frost

I don’t think it’s clear at all that we approached him (we’ve also denied it). We might have, his management might have approached us. Frankly none of that really matters, I’d expect our list team to be speaking to about 400 players management teams.

My point wasn’t really about that though, my point was much more about the fact that him now doing interviews and media about a very VERY preliminary discussion purely to gauge his interest is pretty ****ing odd. Perhaps it’ll become more common (you see it a bit in US sports and a little in the Rugby League) but I can’t think of another instance of a non retired player doing media about a deal that DIDNT happen, let alone one that clearly didn’t get beyond a conceptual idea
I wonder whether we’ve agreed to do ZM’s management a favour that has/will be repaid this trade period or later? No real downside in us being part of this story. Just plain odd for Merrett like you say.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back