List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Soldo is one rung up from spud level. Would much prefer we at least experiment with a Marshall/King combo like how the Lions use Oscar/Daniher. Failing that give Heath and Keeler a try. What's the point of having them on our list otherwise? Hayes can be Plan B or C.
All back up options are one rung up from being a spud. Thats why they are backups. No genuinely good and sane ruckman is going to want to sit behind one of the best in the competition.

Hayes isnt a ruckman. He played a few good games but his body isnt able to handle AFL football. Time to stop holding onto a few good games two years ago and see what he actually is.

Every club has a Heath/Keeler development type on the list to try and make into a good player. But that doesnt mean they are viable options to replace Marshall if he is injured. And if they develop into that type of option, then great. A bit of competition on the list won't harm them as players.

Read my post again.

IF THATS the way the game is going.

If one other club offers it, its a recruiting point for players with families. Were behind the 8 ball.

If ALL other clubs wind up offering it (which would be my tip in due course) then were derelict in our duties.

Its worth considering that most clubs are gonna pony up similar financial offers for good players, so if the deals are all gonna be similar length/money then you need another point of difference. Now we cant offer a historically successful club or big games or even many outside sponsorship opportunities.

If the rumour is correct about Josh then we just lost him for possibly less money than we offered because the family club catered to his family lifestyle.

Again, adapt or die.

Couldn't agree more. From child care, wife / spouse / partner support services, financial advice, mental health, marriage / relationship counselling, employment services, spouse / partner career advice, family engagement etc all should be areas we are working to be best in class. This is not about being a nanny state, but about making our most valuable asset, our players, comfortable, happy and not wanting to go anywhere else. It takes every part of the club to be at our best, for us to secure that elusive second premiership.

One of my brothers (now retired) was a partner at a large international firm and they had a practice of having the parents, partners, spouses come in for a meeting every six months to discuss how their husband / partner / son / daughter was going, as to what are the next steps in their career, what they need to do to broaden their experience and skill level etc. It was rare for a young staff member to ever voluntarily leave, as they had the whole family invested in his / her career, development and path ahead.

All that we could do to make this a major part of our club, is a huge positive for recruitment and retaining our players.

Last edited:
Ross ideally wants a main ruck with Marshall forward/second ruck. Marshall’s poor tap work and our shit midfield means something just has to give. Can Soldo carry the ruck and be a better tap ruckman than Marshall? That remains to be seen.
Reckon you're spot on. Ross thinks we can get more out of Marshall as a forward/ruck.

We dont need a full time ruckman though, we need a part timer to give Marshall a chop out for 5 minutes quarter (at most).

Theyre both 28. If were gonna get another ruckman id rather get someone younger, especially if Soldo is gonna cost a third or even second swaps.
We need a backup ruckman for if Marshall is unavailable who is also capable of playing in a 2-ruck structure alongside Marshall

We have Owens Keeler and Caminiti as part-time ruckmen

If we kept Hayes and didn’t go after any other talls, our ruck stocks would be Marshall, Heath, Keeler, Hayes. Literally zero cover for if Marshall goes down and a lot of responsibility on Heath

Soldo is not at all mobile but he is a man mountain .... think his mobility is the issue

He was though on track for his best season stats wise this year until he got injured and put in an average game on his return and then Port decided to go with the more mobile younger Sweet

Maybe just use him back half of the center line and Marshall forward half ... actually I have no idea

Agree. Soldo is one rung up from spud level. Would much prefer we at least experiment with a Marshall/King combo like how the Lions use Oscar/Daniher. Failing that give Heath and Keeler a try. What's the point of having them on our list otherwise? Hayes can be Plan B or C.
You genuinely don’t need to be amazing to be a good starting AFL ruck. See Sweet.

Prior to injuring himself this year and losing his spot. Soldo crossed to be ports number 1 ruck.

He should in theory be a solid contributor. A big strong body and a different type of ruck to Marshall - which should hopefully mean we have a way to combat the monsters to physically dominate Ro.

Heard a rumour that we are holding off on the hotton contract because he is managed by the same camp as battle. If we get band one well will extend him. If not we won’t. I can’t find info if this is true by what I heard.
What is the point of that rumour? Why does it matter about the band compensation whether or not Hotton gets delisted?

Last edited:
You genuinely don’t need to be amazing to be a good starting AFL ruck. See Sweet.

Prior to injuring himself this year and losing his spot. Soldo crossed to be ports number 1 ruck.

He should in theory be a solid contributor. A big strong body and a different type of ruck to Marshall - which should hopefully mean we have a way to combat the monsters to physically dominate Ro.
He's the type we could bring in against McInerneyGawn/Darcy who physically terrorise Marshall and use them as a combo.

Then against the Grundy/English and surprisingly Nanks of the world, we play just Marshall since he always seems to beat them wth his workmate around the ground.

If rumours are true and the bench is going to 5 with the sub being ditched, having a second ruck as a starting 23 will become the norm.
Particularly in a side like ours where one of the rucks (Ro) is a legitimate forward threat and extremely mobile.

Sydney basically do it now with Grundy & McLean and Ro is a vastly better forward than both of them.

Soldo would be a great get and would play regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the point of that rumour? Why does it matter about the band compensation whether or not Hotton gets delisted or not?
I believe as it stands we have 9 list spots available with Hotton retained.

We should have 3 picks before Peckett Cole Hoffman.

Macrae Soldo - Room for one more incoming (Defender)
He's the type we could bring in against McInerneyGawn/Darcy who physically terrorise Marshall and use them as a combo.

Then against the Grundy/English and surprisingly Nanks of the world, we play just Marshall since he always seems to beat them wth his workmate around the ground.
Or play both all year round. Marshall was every bit a forward threat later in the season. Make it a strength of ours.

Yet Melbourne are interested. Soldo is going to cost a second rounder. So Saints need to give up 24 for him. He is contracted to Port.

I’d rather have just kept Campbell for back up.
Soldo is similar to Macrae.

You can’t just tank players values by not playing them and selecting others over them and then demand good picks.

It doesn’t work like that.

What is the point of that rumour? Why does it matter about the band compensation whether or not Hotton gets delisted?
Because we are using it as leverage to his agent. If he helps us get band one Ollie will get another contract. I have no idea if this has legs. Just saying what I heard.

Yet Melbourne are interested. Soldo is going to cost a second rounder. So Saints need to give up 24 for him. He is contracted to Port.

I’d rather have just kept Campbell for back up.
Not sure about a 2nd rounder ... that's what Port paid for sure ... but he is another year older and they don't want to play him

How desperate are they to move him on?

Future 3rd?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back