List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Could definitely see the AFL to make an example out of us trying to play the compensation system. To be fair if another club did this I would be complaining that it’s a rort. Recent AFL decisions tell me that they have no mercy for clubs when it comes to disciplinary action. Regardless of how long suffering the supporters are. Hopefully the outcome is leaked before Friday, not sure we can take a full week of speculation on here .
How are we playing it exactly?

Battle is an unrestricted free agent. We have no way of playing tge system.

We just need to cross our fingers and hope Hawthorn are offering a very large contract, because whether it's band one or band two makes zero difference to Hawthorn as we can't match a bid.

I recommend kava, a natural sedative which also causes the brain to perceive random guitar strumming as a timeless melody of love and loss and love again.

Now available in instant form...as easy as making a cup of muddy water.
and all the hand clapping involved in the consumption is meditative too. But back on the subject. The AFL will screw up with the compensation and give Caroline Wilson another opportunity to say the Saints stuffed up and should just shut up about it and know its place.

How are we playing it exactly?

Battle is an unrestricted free agent. We have no way of playing tge system.

We just need to cross our fingers and hope Hawthorn are offering a very large contract, because whether it's band one or band two makes zero difference to Hawthorn as we can't match a bid.

We tried to do it with the gresham shiel quid pro quo but that was a bridge to far, you’ve got wool over your eyes if you don’t think list management has manipulated this through player management, offer timing and bluffing.

Not judging at all, in-fact I think it’s probably the right decision for where we’re at. But Band 1 was plan A, retaining Battle was plan B. Not the other way round.

Last edited:

Could definitely see the AFL to make an example out of us trying to play the compensation system. To be fair if another club did this I would be complaining that it’s a rort. Recent AFL decisions tell me that they have no mercy for clubs when it comes to disciplinary action. Regardless of how long suffering the supporters are. Hopefully the outcome is leaked before Friday, not sure we can take a full week of speculation on here .
The Saints did not play the compensation system. In fact the Saints proved that it plays to the spirit of the game by not tanking the Carlton game and dropping back 2 spots in the draft.

We haven’t player it better or worse it’s the FA compo system that is the rort. We wouldn’t receive draft capital greater than pick 8 for Battle in a trade-only system. Same as Ben Mckay for Pick 3. FA compo as a system is just as compromised as the current Academy and F/S bidding system is. The fact that the compensation pick can only be directly after your pick or at the end of the round is a really limited and exploitable rule. I think we are mature enough to realise that without being one-eyed nuffies here. In trade value Id put Josh battle as a late first round pick. In FA compo it’s likely we get a top 10. Its not as bad as the Ben Mckay one or undervalued as Buddy for 19 but it’s still not right.

The AFL has had a slight course-correction in the bidding system, i wouldn’t be surprised if we were the first victim of the FA compo course correction.
With all due respect, after hearing that Gold Coast are about to part with pick 6 for Dan Rioli.
I would like to think a 25 year old 193cm key defender who just had a stellar year could well hold higher trade value than an inconsistent soft half back flanker.

Quality key position players don’t grow on tree’s.

But that’s just my opinion.

We tried to do it with the gresham shiel quid pro quo but that was a bridge to far, you’ve got wool over your eyes if you don’t think list management has manipulated this through player management, offer timing and bluffing.

Not judging at all, in-fact I think it’s probably the right decision for where we’re at. But Band 1 was plan A, retaining Battle was plan B. Not the other way round.
Gresham was a restricted free agent. We had the option of matching a bid and forcing a trade if the compensation wasn't up to it.

We don't have the same hand in this deal. I'm well aware list managers will look to find any way they can sneakily improve their hand but at the moment we are relying heavily on luck.

Battle is leaving our club to play at Hawthorn for less money than what he was offered at St Kilda and we can't match a bid if it's not band one. If we get band one it's because Hawthorn rate him enough to pay him very well, not because they are doing us a favour.

There is no way Battle podiums in the BnF
Only because of the nature of his exit. If he was still with the club, I guarantee you he would have made the top 5 at least and i would have been surprised if he hadn't gone higher. He had a great season and was a major component in the defense being our best line this year.

I think it got deleted, but did anyone else see the Trade Radio Tweet where Hanners was saying he still thinks we'll go hard for Brayshaw and LDU this year and if not this year, try to get them as FA next year?
Hanners had an interesting time on there, said we were going hard for both, especially Brayshaw who would be perfect for us. It's was agreed it was highly unlikely, but I'd still like to dream.

Also half let it slip that Membrey will get life membership tonight at the B&F, which he clearly wasn't meant to say.

I'd love for there to be some substance to the rumour of us going for both of the De Koning brothers. But when De Koning was briefly mentioned it wasn't us who anyone linked him to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be honest here, pick 8 is overs for Josh and we all know it. HOWEVER, we don't get any Father Sons, we don't have a Academy full of jets, we don't have 100,000 members and play at a full MCG every week, we don't have huge sponsors that can offer off-the-books perks, and we don't have the go-home factor. Therefore, just once, we can catch a break and get a bit lucky with something.

True, but if North can get Pick 3 for Ben “butterfingers” McKay when they were already gifted priority picks and we don’t get the same compensation for a much better player, without having priority picks despite having an equal amount of success as them in the last decade, then I will FAAAAAARKIN spew.

Phew, take a breath me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How can we be held responsible if we don’t get band 1

Unrestricted Free Agent.

No club has ever let someone the calibre of battle become one of those at 25/26 after drafting them.

That's how we are responsible if the compo is garbage.

Btw- Battle not being cemented in our best 22 (as a 23 year old) when he signed his last contract is a complete myth- he finished top 10 in our bnf in september 2022.
He signed his last contract with us in august 2022.

From aug 2022:
Battle has become a permanent fixture in Brett Ratten’s backline in 2022, playing all 19 games since moving down there alongside Dougal Howard and Cal Wilkie.

After being drafted from the Dandenong Stingrays as a key forward, Battle has played all over the ground until producing a career-best season as a defender.

The 193cm, 92kg backman is rated elite among key defenders for disposals, kicks, marks and metres gained across the first 20 rounds.

Our club have plenty of responsibility for letting him become an unrestricted free agent.
That results in us not being able to force a trade if the likely compo sucks.

We made our bed back in 2022- now we need to lie in it if it's band 2.

I think Richmond have been quite cheeky since the bidding rules first came in. **** I hope they’re aggressive this year and bid on Ashcroft at dp1.
Should be a major embarrassment in the backrooms of afl headquarters. All the ******** media types will be fawning all over Brisbane and their good luck as they do but it will be a major embarrassment that may just spark some change.
I doubt it but.

Unrestricted Free Agent.

No club has ever let someone the calibre of battle become one of those at 25/26 after drafting them.

That's how we are responsible if the compo is garbage.

Btw- Battle not being cemented in our best 22 (as a 23 year old) when he signed his last contract is a complete myth- he finished top 10 in our bnf in september 2022.
He signed his last contract with us in august 2022.

From aug 2022:
Battle has become a permanent fixture in Brett Ratten’s backline in 2022, playing all 19 games since moving down there alongside Dougal Howard and Cal Wilkie.

After being drafted from the Dandenong Stingrays as a key forward, Battle has played all over the ground until producing a career-best season as a defender.

The 193cm, 92kg backman is rated elite among key defenders for disposals, kicks, marks and metres gained across the first 20 rounds.

Our club have plenty of responsibility for letting him become an unrestricted free agent.
That results in us not being able to force a trade if the likely compo sucks.

We made our bed back in 2022- now we need to lie in it if it's band 2.

100%

its purely on us. we then shopped him which is utter madness given how important he is AND the unrestricted nature.

we then came late with a re-worked offer when we caught wind it might not be enough to trigger band 1. battle then did the right thing and held to his original agreement with hawthorn. IMO my opinion of battle is even higher. most would use it to collect more coin.

we can't keep doing this shit if we want to challenge for a flag.

Well its a great plan then.

I think I said at the start of the year that I very much doubted we'd get Band 1 compo for Battle - but that was based on believing no one would cough up the level of contract needed for Band 1 for a 3rd tall defender like Battle.

Celebrate the fact that Hawks have come to the party and take the Band 1 compo and run.

If we then somehow split that Pick for mid teens pick and 2nd rounder it be "winner winner chicken dinner" and an A+ draft for us.

I think it got deleted, but did anyone else see the Trade Radio Tweet where Hanners was saying he still thinks we'll go hard for Brayshaw and LDU this year and if not this year, try to get them as FA next year?
Didn't see the tweet but he certainly said exactly that on TR this afternoon.

Also
**** Josh Battle. What the **** was he even thinking wanting us to let him run out with his daughter knowing full well he was leaving.
That was just one for the missuses scrapbook.

Well its a great plan then.

I think I said at the start of the year that I very much doubted we'd get Band 1 compo for Battle - but that was based on believing no one would cough up the level of contract needed for Band 1 for a 3rd tall defender like Battle.

Celebrate the fact that Hawks have come to the party and take the Band 1 compo and run.

If we then somehow split that Pick for mid teens pick and 2nd rounder it be "winner winner chicken dinner" and an A+ draft for us.
Pick 8 for a teens pick and a 2nd rounder is an absolute scam and not A+ in the slightest, especially since Perryman compo will push things back while Kako and Marshall will also push 2nd rounders back. We'd need 2 teens picks at minimum

"so when you coming back to Victoria? we could do with a player like yourself and I know we've offered you a lot more money than I'm on!"
View attachment 2126961
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back