List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

CLUBS GET CLARITY ON COMPO

ST KILDA and Greater Western Sydney are among the clubs breathing a sigh of relief, after the AFL informed teams that 'Band 2' compensation picks will fall before North Melbourne's pair of end-of-first round selections.

Sydney and Gold Coast, who own the pair of Kangaroos picks, now face the prospect of falling further down the draft order should any of this year's free agency departures be deemed worthy of 'Band 2' or end-of-first round compensation.

Clubs had been nervously waiting on the League's final decision about where the picks would be placed, but received confirmation from the AFL on Monday morning.

The Saints may receive 'Band 2' compensation for defender Josh Battle's move to the Hawks, while the Giants could receive similar picks should Harry Perryman depart or perhaps even for Isaac Cumming's move to the Crows.

JcXkGCXv.JPG

Isaac Cumming in action during Greater Western Sydney's qualifying final against Sydney on September 7, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Clubs had lobbied to the AFL for the compensation picks to be placed before North Melbourne's pair of selections, given a similar situation occurred last year.

Adelaide and St Kilda both picked before Carlton, who held the Kangaroos' pick in 2023, having received end-of-first round compensation picks for Tom Doedee's free agency move to Brisbane and Jade Gresham's to Essendon respectively.

North Melbourne earned three end-of-first round compensation picks from the AFL last year due to poor performance, one in 2023 and two in 2024, but traded all three to rival clubs.

Last year's pick was shifted to the Blues in exchange for Zac Fisher, while their two picks this season went to the Swans for Dylan Stephens and to the Suns as a result of a pick-swap undertaken last season. – Riley Beveridge
Feel like they are preparing us for Band 2 tbh…

Tell me what Ben McKay's true value is. Tell me what Levi Ashcroft's true value is.

A pox on the true value of a player in the AFL system
Irrelevant I’m talking about what I’d be happy to trade for battle.

The afl system is as we know all over the place and far from just but yes if McKay was worth a first then battle is. Would you have been happy to pay that for him ? I wouldn’t.

Nah definitely Band 1 for us.

Perryman and Cumming will be Band 2 because they aren't getting 6 year $900K offers.
Perryman is rumoured to be 850k for 7yrs at Collingwood so should get same compo as us

Perryman is rumoured to be 850k for 7yrs at Collingwood so should get same compo as us
Nah the extra year doesn't matter. Battle should be on slightly more money and hopefully the line is drawn right in between

Although if Giants get band 1 for Perryman (dreaming here), does pick 8 + F1 for 14 + 15 + Peatling and maybe a late pick (for Macrae/Soldo) tempt them?

Tony74 is a true and long time ITK from Saintsational, very rarely wrong. Another who straight out said it had been confirmed to him was Yipper (I know Yipper and his contacts) it was Band 1.

Neither of these two shitpost like the rest of us, they only post when they want to convey information (usually straight from the club).
They aren't employed by the AFL (as far as I am aware) so not on the committee, so it is not 100% certain we get band 1 and we wont know until Friday, however they are pretty good sources.

Does it mean they get things wrong? Of course, but rarely.
I just feel like if the club even suspected it wasn't going to be band 1 compensation they'd be vocal in the media to pressure the announcement.
It'd be a pretty easy case to make given the lions winning the flag, Sydney finishing top, the McKay cobblestones and North getting additional assistance despite no precedent or policy for it.

Without knowing the intricate details, it seems a relatively fixeable problem. Had a cooked hand so had his contest-winning ability hampered significantly. Has had surgery on it so should be back to normal next year

Other problem was he was extremely overweight - put him on the fitness regime of one of the fittest teams in the AFL and set him back up for success. Surely even he can't screw it up with that sort of environment
At his best he is one of the best players in the AFL , last year he was way off his best due to many reasons.
He is 27 and if you take his contract you will have him until he turns 33 - paying they say around 1 million a year.

These long term contracts make them just about untouchable unless they have issues with the player which I suppose he has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Future second swap would be the only way I'd even remotely consider including a second rounder in any conversation - even then I'd be hesitant.
I’d do the deal reported by Ralph last week.

Our F2nd for Soldo + Powers F3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back