List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I have no issue with father son selections, it's the cost which is the rort.

I think if Brisbane had to trade pick 18 & their F1, maybe also a player for a top 5 or 10 pick to pay for Levi - it would feel like a fairer system. If they want him bad enough, they'd make the trade work. In that scenario, there is still the romance of having access to a father son, you just don't get them for next to nothing.

As for the academies, as much as I dont believe they should exist, the cost should be the same - within 5 or 10 picks of their selection.

At least the Academies serve another objective - home grown talents in non-football areas. I actually think it would be fairer if the four northern clubs just got one each year outside of the draft, and perhaps didn't get picks in the 2nd round to even it out. But Heeney plays another sport if not for the academy. OTOH, four first round picks from the GC Academy is a mockery of the whole system.

Not a single AFL supporter would give the game away if the Father-Son rule was abolished. It's amateurish, unfair, and entirely needless.

Bet Brisbane Collingwood dogs cats gws suns are falling over themselves to bid on our father sons and academy picks this year.
Should just call their bluff if they do and let them have them.
I don’t think there are any ashcrofts or daicoses amongst them.

I applaud Bassatt for his stoicism, and Im sure he was vocal at the meetings to affect change. The Ashcroft example is exactly why it needed addressing.

However, the AFL have made the changes they are going to make in the short term. Let's see how the points/picks alterations work next year and onwards before we shoot ourselves in the foot with the AFL.

The AFL have shown in the past they are thin skinned and become resentful when they are criticised by people inside the industry. But sometimes like Andrew last night you just have to draw a line in the sand and stand up for whats right.

Well done President you fired one acorss the bow, now keep pressing.

He actually isn’t afraid to say something against the afl. Unlike Edmonds who just tows the party line. I’m still baffled that some journos don’t actually know the real workings of the academy and fs system. Need more corns
Edmunds read out a text from a WA person stating fancy Saints whinging when they got Windhager and Owens for nothing
When all 18 teams actually also had a chance to take them before R2 ended I think and he didn't and he didn't obviously know the situation of that actual draft

Edmunds read out a text from a WA person stating fancy Saints whinging when they got Windhager and Owens for nothing
When all 18 teams actually also had a chance to take them before R2 ended I think and he didn't and he didn't obviously know the situation of that actual draft
đź’Ż infuriates me every time someone brings them up. Everyone passed on them. Imagine a world where we missed out on Owens, windy and Mackenzie.

It's all well and good for the Prez to have a crack at the AFL re: father sons and compo etc, but what happens when they hand down Band 2 in a few days??

We go "thank you, sir" and go sit back in our dunce corner, that's what.

There is no right of reply here, we're picking a fight that cannot be won, but definitely can be lost.
It's the only tactic available. The league want it all done behind closed doors because corruption can only prosper in secret. Shining a spotlight on the subject may anger the cockroachs but eventually it starts to get too hot for them and they scatter. The way to win the war is to make them believe it won't stop.

I'm very sure they operate within the rules. It's the rules that are the problem.

If Sydney are entitled to COLA , then all clubs should have their salary cap indexed based on housing costs.
Start on a base of....Oh....Geelong, then give all the others a COLA based on how much more the median prices are within 10km of the club than they are at Geelong.

I was in and around footballers for a decent amount of time from 06-11 and whilst the above is absolutely true there are also levels to it.

I’ve said numerous times that somewhere between 70-90% of the guys between 20 and 25 in the afl system would hit the bags semi regularly and punting is just a way of Australian life (whether we like that or not) but there is a big big difference between a party on a weekend and being off your head at the pokies 6-7 days a week.

Clarry is at the extreme end and unless he can curb it he’s damaged goods and could ruin the culture.

I’m not against party boys but he’s a burnout, he needs to get his life in order before worrying about footy
That’s a fair point mate and agree there is always a point where someone is too damaged. Clarry maybe at that point, but I definitely think it’s worth doing due diiligence on him, before ruling it out.

If Sydney are entitled to COLA , then all clubs should have their salary cap indexed based on housing costs.
Start on a base of....Oh....Geelong, then give all the others a COLA based on how much more the median prices are within 10km of the club than they are at Geelong.
Honestly l don't care so much about it. The irritating thing is that the afl could do it simply and honestly because clubs have also committed to growing the sport nationally.
The other is that culture is far mor critical than talent. Just spoon feeding top 10 picks year on year does next to nothing to make the club successful. It all boils down to the people in charge being gutless, pathetic, self serving strawmen. They can't even conceive of integrity let alone enact it.

Josh Battle is a coward, and he’ll fit in well at Dingley.

Cant believe he didn’t have the character to show up to the best and fairest last night… we actually given the text message story I can. Hope Cooper Sharman kicks a bag on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worried they’ll punish us for basset going off

The opposite will be the case. By Bassett making this such a huge issue, it would be pouring petrol on the fire by not giving up pick 8. The AFL likes to pretend all is fair and equitable and can point to the justice of the system when we get our first round pick. With Bassett saying nothing we were always at risk. Well done to him.

It's all well and good for the Prez to have a crack at the AFL re: father sons and compo etc, but what happens when they hand down Band 2 in a few days??

We go "thank you, sir" and go sit back in our dunce corner, that's what.

There is no right of reply here, we're picking a fight that cannot be won, but definitely can be lost.
What in earth are you talking about? The right of rely is in the next media conference and when the next journo microphone comes 10 minutes after the AFL announce.

And the battle will be won (pun intended) if we get pick 8. It will be lost if we get something lesser. There is no do nothing approach that works here.

Punting addiction, coupled with a sniff habit is genuinely par for the course. It’s absolutely rife (as it was for him). I mean these young blokes can’t drink, have a massive disposable income and have heaps of time on their hands.

Not a dig at your mate and thanks for sharing... but this sort of reasoning from players is absolutely pissweak.

Get financial advice and plan for your future. Don't come crying and whinging when their career is over and they have nothing left. "Young bloke" doesn't get you past 20, they're a damn adult!

Zero sympathy for those who "blow" it away. And the AFL is full of shit with their drug policies, always has been. Joke of a place.

Josh Battle is a coward, and he’ll fit in well at Dingley.

Cant believe he didn’t have the character to show up to the best and fairest last night… we actually given the text message story I can. Hope Cooper Sharman kicks a bag on him.
I heard he did go to the function but had to be taken home after deliberately hitting his head on the toilet door, having started Hawthorn training techniques early.

North would be best served by not getting more early picks.

I think that North showed this season that for them their biggest priority needs to be getting some good current players in as they have ample young talent, but need some good experienced players to steady the young guns who often buckle way too easily.
Didn't say that North should go for more picks, or even deserve more picks but would bet that they are investigating how to improve their picks in a deal with Richmond.

The access is the problem not the cost.
Access isnt going to change, The Northern academies serve the AFL's purpose, increase homegrown participation and help the Northern clubs be competitive. F/S isn't going anywhere. so the only thing left to do is to alter the cost, which will happen next year after Brisbane/Carlton/Suns/Essendon all take a swag of NGA/FS this draft for **** all p[icks and a discount on top

So true. I have been saying this for years. Is COL is such an issue, all players would be paid a base salary and then adjusted at the end of the year for COL. The clubs would have nothing to do with it. I wonder why not…?!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back