List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Partly the reason I have held off posting on here, is a good mate of mine is a former long term AFL player.

Punting addiction, coupled with a sniff habit is genuinely par for the course. It’s absolutely rife (as it was for him). I mean these young blokes can’t drink, have a massive disposable income and have heaps of time on their hands.

if clarrys body is fine (albeit a bit fat), he is willing to do the work and costs nothing other than coin then the club will be 100% looking at it.

The off field culture piece is so overrated. Sure some of them tow the company line, but if a bloke is willing to work hard, play as a strong team mate, then what he does outside of that is largely irrelevant to his team mates, despite what the journos (with their own habits) report.
I was in and around footballers for a decent amount of time from 06-11 and whilst the above is absolutely true there are also levels to it.

I’ve said numerous times that somewhere between 70-90% of the guys between 20 and 25 in the afl system would hit the bags semi regularly and punting is just a way of Australian life (whether we like that or not) but there is a big big difference between a party on a weekend and being off your head at the pokies 6-7 days a week.

Clarry is at the extreme end and unless he can curb it he’s damaged goods and could ruin the culture.

I’m not against party boys but he’s a burnout, he needs to get his life in order before worrying about footy

I personally have no issue with the father sons and academy players. But what frustrates me, is the bidding/matching system. It’s not acceptable for a player to be bid on at pick 1 and get matched with 25, 30, 34, 37, 48… doesn’t pass the pub test. Needs to be some middle ground on the system. Maybe 5 picks to match is too many, cut it back to 3.

I personally have no issue with the father sons and academy players. But what frustrates me, is the bidding/matching system. It’s not acceptable for a player to be bid on at pick 1 and get matched with 25, 30, 34, 37, 48… doesn’t pass the pub test. Needs to be some middle ground on the system. Maybe 5 picks to match is too many, cut it back to 3.

Yeah, Dogs finished high on the ladder got JUH as an academy pick who was consensus pick 1. They were able to trade out their first round pick for Treloar who was an elite talent plus get JUH. If they hadn't used the picks they would have lost them as points anyway.

In the end they turned pick 14 and a future second into Treloar and picks to make up points for JUH.

Darcy the next year they traded out junk picks for points and used picks 34, 42,43,44, 45 to make up value.

So pick one and two in the draft 2 years running and Adam Treloar with pick 14 the highest pick involved while playing finals.

You don't have to be a genius to see that that system is absolutely not a competitive balance mechanism.

Which is exactly what Prez has been shouting from the rooftops.

Take your FS’s & Academy players by all means.

Just pay a reasonable price that doesn’t allow for double dipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is exactly what Prez has been shouting from the rooftops.

Take your FS’s & Academy players by all means.

Just pay a reasonable price that doesn’t allow for double dipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The issue isn’t the access it’s the cost.

From 2000-2010 every club made a prelim Rors.

Because there was a cycle.

Right now you have clubs getting generational talents and paying pennies for them.

What would the Pies have given up for Naicos?

Swans with Heeney and Mills?

Lions with the Ashcroft boys?

All of a sudden they start to lose best 18 players to fund the selection or they go without and clubs like North or us regenerate quicker.

For me, the fix should be as simple as requiring a pick within 5 spots of the player taken.

If you desperately want your academy or father son pick because he is that good. Cough up for it.

Yeah, it should be available to clubs, not a crazy if you don't take it for clubs. If they need to keep the romance alive, pay fair value for it.

For me, the fix should be as simple as requiring a pick within 5 spots of the player taken.

If you desperately want your academy or father son pick because he is that good. Cough up for it.
I'd take it one further and instead of the discount, I'd require a 10-20% points tax on players bid on in the top 10. Even if thats just for teams that makes finals, there should be a penalty for jumping the draft order instead of a benefit.

Totally understand its not a fair system but i doubt anyone on here or at the club would have even raised the issue if Plugger and Spud had 7 boys instead of 7 girls
You're probably right but change is always led by those who are disadvantaged by the system.

I don't see collingwood or the dogs calling for change. One of them has a top 5 f/s prospect next year of course they'll keep quiet

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think there's a possibility that our skipper is in different colours next season and Brayshaw, Callaghan and maaaaaybe Sean Darcy are in Saints colours.

Split 8 into two later firsts
Those two later firsts and a future first for Brayshaw, Darcy and something else coming back
Steele goes back home to Canberra for Finn with other picks involved.
Still leaves us with a top 10 for the draft.

Freo will need future firsts for Chad - maybe even for this year, not to mention salary off their books if they're getting Chad, Bolton and maybe Kosi

I don't think Steele is Rossys type of guy nor Ross is Steeles flavour - they can sell it well enough by saying that Jack's always had a pull to return home and vise versa for Callaghan.

IN: Brayshaw, Darcy, Callaghan
Out: Steele, P8, Future First

I can't believe how many oppo supporters completely are missing Bassetts' point.

We know we could have drafted Bont or Trac, (he literally mentions this in the speech) but that doesn't change the fact that a fairer price needs to be paid if you want your generational academy or father son

I love the father son rule, Elwood Peckett will win 3 norms but if he was a first rounder, I'd want us to have to pay a fair price, like anyone else

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally understand its not a fair system but i doubt anyone on here or at the club would have even raised the issue if Plugger and Spud had 7 boys instead of 7 girls

Of course, no interest like self interest. That said the AFL need to decide if it's competitive balance that they want or a few sides dominating. To me they have set it up for the northern sides to dominate in expanding markets and left the rest of the clubs fighting over scraps. In a dog eat dog scrap fight among the remnant clubs St Kilda is a three legged chihuahua with diabetes.

The issue isn’t the access. It’s the cost.

More teams are now in the competition. There is less and less access to top tier talent.

I'd take it one further and instead of the discount, I'd require a 10-20% points tax on players bid on in the top 10. Even if thats just for teams that makes finals, there should be a penalty for jumping the draft order instead of a benefit.
yes. make the tax dependent on how many positions you are jumping up .. so if you get a guy at 10 using pick 16 + other picks, you are moving up 6 positions so pay 6% more .. your advantage is being able to move up.. why tf do you also get a discount!??

The new points system also helps although they could have gone even further with the faster drop off of points

100%.

Give them the points discount and then make the pick a matching one with the F/S discount applied.

At the VERY least it needs to have a pick in the same ****ing round.

Get ready for it, they will bring these changes in just when we will be in the same position as Collingwood and Brisbane with the Riewoldt boys etc
If one of those boys is a top 5 pick. Then he will be worth the assets required to take him

I still think there's a possibility that our skipper is in different colours next season and Brayshaw, Callaghan and maaaaaybe Sean Darcy are in Saints colours.

Split 8 into two later firsts
Those two later firsts and a future first for Brayshaw, Darcy and something else coming back
Steele goes back home to Canberra for Finn with other picks involved.
Still leaves us with a top 10 for the draft.

Freo will need future firsts for Chad - maybe even for this year, not to mention salary off their books if they're getting Chad, Bolton and maybe Kosi

I don't think Steele is Rossys type of guy nor Ross is Steeles flavour - they can sell it well enough by saying that Jack's always had a pull to return home and vise versa for Callaghan.

IN: Brayshaw, Darcy, Callaghan
Out: Steele, P8, Future First
I have more chance of winning 100mil powerball then this happening

Yeh to me theres not much point belabouring the past where we missed out and others prospered. That happened already, every chance 2009 goes differently if the Cats dont have Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins (or at least had to trade out Bartel and Kelly to get them) but thats done.

We can see what the future holds and not one of us is suggesting that we should be exempt from these updated rules because we had no benefit from it in the past.

Personally i like the romance and leaving the 20% discount (or whatever it is) to ensure it happens is fine by me BUT that means if someone bids on Levi Ashcroft at pick 1, Brisbane should have to give up pick 3 to match it. How they get pick 3 is up to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back