List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

No?
He's a bloody good player and people who are pissed at him for leaving are just trying to cope by saying he's not that good, or just a solid citizen.
Not sure why there is such resentment, footy is a business now. At the end of the day we lost one of our best players in his prime years to a team looking to rise up the ladder at the same time as us. It's frustrating but at least getting pick 8 will help.
I still believe keeping Battle would have been the right choice but it's too late for that now, let's hope we nail the pick!
Everybody understands this.
It's not about the fact that he's going, it appears to be about the way he went about it.
Basically not being honest or upfront about it with club or teammates, right up until informing them by text.

Keeping him or not was never our choice as it happens.

Stav.........Josh obviously has seen the light....he's missing his mates already.

No Dingley tip for him or the lovely smell of Methane.

He's coming back.

Talk about an Olympic gold medal style back flip.

That didn't take long.

LOL.

;););)

If Oliver ends up at Geelong, the afl need to open a formal investigation into Geelongs ongoing salary rorting. How the hell could they fit his salary in, while also adding Smith
I think a bit of a hidden advantage the Cats hold over other Vic clubs is that they have a semblance of the "return home" factor for players originally from the Geelong and Surf Coast area.

If a young draftee from the Melbourne area gets a chance to return to Melbourne after a stint interstate, he's not going to be fussed which club he comes home to.

But young players with family and mates down Geelong way can easily be coerced to move back to the Cats. Danger is the obvious example and it seems like Smith will follow suit. There's other examples. They threw everything at Boak but at least he resisted.

I think a bit of a hidden advantage the Cats hold over other Vic clubs is that they have a semblance of the "return home" factor for players originally from the Geelong and Surf Coast area.

If a young draftee from the Melbourne area gets a chance to return to Melbourne after a stint interstate, he's not going to be fussed which club he comes home to.

But young players with family and mates down Geelong way can easily be coerced to move back to the Cats. Danger is the obvious example and it seems like Smith will follow suit. There's other examples. They threw everything at Boak but at least he resisted.
Isn't Sniff from Malvern?

Stupid comment from Dan.
Seriously? Bailey has been one of TWO father/son picks we've had.

Gary Lyon on SEN this morning - wouldn't Saints have a lot to say if they miss out on Roo's boys?
Also stupid statement -
No guarantee any of them will play, or even excel at footy.
Damned if I'm waiting another 10 years to find out.
Fix it now and if we have to pay a greater price if they're good, so be it.

A great call there SS.

Eddie Maguire.

Like him or loathe him..........If there was one thing I admired about him(and it's probably the only thing) was that he was always front and centre when going to bat for his beloved Collingwood Football Club(that hurt typing that...lol)

He'd be yelling from the roof tops at any perceived or real injustice that had been done/being done to his beloved Pies.

Anyone for a "dog with a bone"

One issue that comes to mind is the COLA(SaintsSeptember mentioned COLA a few posts back)

"Eddie everywhere" was constantly locking horns with the AFL on this subject.....the "war" seemed to going for years.

If a subject....any subject benefited the Pies.....in would go Eddie to bat .....great exposure for the club too.

Eddie was incredibly passionate about his beloved Pies.

Andrew Bassat is equally passionate about our beloved Saints.

We're extremely fortunate to have him at the helm.
The difference is that Collingwood are a powerful rich club who as such have major leverage with the AFL. We simply have no leverage at all as the AFL really don't care if they anger the poor clubs. Their business model is completely founded on appeasing the rich clubs and expanding into new territories. As such the poor Melbourne based clubs are going to be the lowest rung on the totem pole.

Gary Lyon on SEN this morning - wouldn't Saints have a lot to say if they miss out on Roo's boys?
Also stupid statement -
No guarantee any of them will play, or even excel at footy.
Damned if I'm waiting another 10 years to find out.
Fix it now and if we have to pay a greater price if they're good, so be it.
So their logic isnt we shouldn't speak up about an unfair bidding system because a 5 year old might play football in the future?

If his kids become players, we will pay a fair price for them like we believe every other club should for father son picks.

It's all well and good for the Prez to have a crack at the AFL re: father sons and compo etc, but what happens when they hand down Band 2 in a few days??

We go "thank you, sir" and go sit back in our dunce corner, that's what.

There is no right of reply here, we're picking a fight that cannot be won, but definitely can be lost.
So you pick the fight anyway.
We're losing as it is.
This way were telling them we are not rolling over and will call them on it.
Behind Basset every step of the way on this. Its about time.

Eddie was incredibly passionate about his beloved Pies.

Andrew Bassat is equally passionate about our beloved Saints.

We're extremely fortunate to have him at the helm.
This!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So their logic isnt we shouldn't speak up about an unfair bidding system because a 5 year old might play football in the future?

If his kids become players, we will pay a fair price for them like we believe every other club should for father son picks.
Spot on.

Using last year as a precedent for getting pick 27-30 is such lazy reporting. I'd like to see Ralphy name the 11 bid matches/FA compensation picks that he thinks would push the pick back from 19 to 30. Not that any of those players would really be available to us anyway.

As far as I'm aware it's just Ashcroft, Lombard, maybe Kako and/or Marshall. GWS' band 2 pick(s) would be after ours and it's been confirmed the North handouts are also. So it'd be more like pick 22. Not ideal but also not the complete disaster it's being made out to be.

I don't completely agree with him but Bassat has been very consistent on this from well before we knew Battle was leaving, to paint it as an opportunistic attempt to get Band 1 is fairly disingenuous, he is playing a much longer game.

While the not so hidden advantage is that every State Government keeps pouring money into Kardinia Park as a way to buy votes from Geelong residents in upcoming elections.

It's like all of these guys have the same stupid argument. Elite deflection from Edmund on repeat in this segment.

Of course, no interest like self interest. That said the AFL need to decide if it's competitive balance that they want or a few sides dominating. To me they have set it up for the northern sides to dominate in expanding markets and left the rest of the clubs fighting over scraps. In a dog eat dog scrap fight among the remnant clubs St Kilda is a three legged chihuahua with diabetes.
Now there's the analogy-king Gringo we all know and love! It's been a while.
(But please don't mention diabetes - the word still gives me PTSD)

He's carved out a niche as an agitator. Don't mind him to be honest.
He's certainly not an AFL sycophant.
And all clubs get the same treatment.
I'm OK with that.

Yeah, strange move on the surface

Obviously not happy with Battle. It appears to be contrary to the normal guys a free agent and entitled to look at his options blah blah. It would appear as if the rumours about his departure text may be true although we could be dirty on him for some undisclosed reason.

Yeah, strange move on the surface

Clearly people at the club are motivated by more than the just the decision of Battle to go to Hawthorn. After all, business is business. These things happen.

Sounds like he is toxic. Which suggests that people at the club have lost total respect for him.

We can speculate, but these things happen when people feel emotionally betrayed. Which is not good.

Sad for Josh. He has been at the club since he was a lad and bridges have been burned. He will regret it in years to come.

Access isnt going to change, The Northern academies serve the AFL's purpose, increase homegrown participation and help the Northern clubs be competitive. F/S isn't going anywhere. so the only thing left to do is to alter the cost, which will happen next year after Brisbane/Carlton/Suns/Essendon all take a swag of NGA/FS this draft for **** all p[icks and a discount on top
That's why Pres is on the mic ha

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back