List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Disastrous and embarrassing if true.
It will be disappointing not to have two top 10 picks but the difference between pick 8 vs pick 19 could be quite negligible given the evenness of picks between around 8-30. That’s my glass half full view. Anyway, nothing we can do. Just hope we pick a good kid and develop him well.

I reckon Bassat has made a huge misstep with his speech. He has handed the AFL the opportunity to **** us with compo. It will be a very popular public fisting, and no-one will back us up whatsoever.

I reckon Bassat has made a huge misstep with his speech. He has handed the AFL the opportunity to **** us with compo. It will be a very popular public fisting, and no-one will back us up whatsoever.
I think he has done the opposite. If they do **** us over it is almost proof that what he said is correct. Gill is a massive saints fan. I know he is no longer ceo but surely he has to be able to help a little. Also basset brother in a director. That’s gotta count for something.

I think he has done the opposite. If they do **** us over it is almost proof that what he said is correct. Gill is a massive saints fan. I know he is no longer ceo but surely he has to be able to help a little. Also basset brother in a director. That’s gotta count for something.
I hope you're right, but to me, they have handed over licence to screw us. It was always going to come across as a whinge.

Bass’ brother is on the AFL Commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you're right, but to me, they have handed over licence to screw us. It was always going to come across as a whinge.
Yeah I noticed how an article on the roar was titled, “Saints President whinges about father / son picks”. Whinges was the word the author chose. The article completely neglected that Bassat wasn complaining about F/S per we, but about the lack of cost for the reigning premiers to pick up the best kid in the draft. So many pundits putting a spin on it that doesn’t include the guts of what Bassat said.

Yeah I noticed how an article on the roar was titled, “Saints President whinges about father / son picks”. Whinges was the word the author chose. The article completely neglected that Bassat wasn complaining about F/S per we, but about the lack of cost for the reigning premiers to pick up the best kid in the draft. So many pundits putting a spin on it that doesn’t include the guts of what Bassat said.
Exactly. When it gets decontextualised , it just becomes a whinge. And no-one likes a whinger.
Here comes Band 2 compo.
I hope I'm wrong

I didn't mind Basset speaking out. First time in a long time Saints have had a voice make some sort of headline. And bottom line, what he said was correct. Father/son is a great tradition but find a way to make it equitable.

Will have absolutely no impact on Battle compensation - how kindergarten do you think these grown adults in meaningful positions are? People at this level simply don't make decisions based on some petty need to put someone like Basset in his place.

For all the hand wringing and alternate formulas in this thread, the Battle compensation will have a significant discretionary component. Will the AFL's thinking have shifted based on Basset's perfectly well argued remarks? Not a millimetre.

It will be interesting how much outrage there will be directed at Basset if it is Band 2. Personally, I think that his comment won’t change a thing. They will spend half their life on the phone with Basset if they screw us. If anything, perhaps tipping into 1.

Also interesting how much outrage there will be from other supporters if it is B1 - “omg, you can just whinge now and get what you want”, “it’s a bloody hand out for a rabble of a club”.

I didn't mind Basset speaking out. First time in a long time Saints have had a voice make some sort of headline. And bottom line, what he said was correct. Father/son is a great tradition but find a way to make it equitable.

Will have absolutely no impact on Battle compensation - how kindergarten do you think these grown adults in meaningful positions are? People at this level simply don't make decisions based on some petty need to put someone like Basset in his place.

For all the hand wringing and alternate formulas in this thread, the Battle compensation will have a significant discretionary component. Will the AFL's thinking have shifted based on Basset's perfectly well argued remarks? Not a millimetre.
Agree. First I can recall for 15/20 years? Plympton maybe?

Articles on Roar are written by non professional journalists (Part Timers)

Can't agree. If it is as line ball as everyone is predicting, it is the discretionary component that can be influenced by these kind of perceptions.
It was stated that they wanted to make Band 1 more difficult to trigger. What better (and now popular) way to demonstrate that, than declining our line-ball case for Band 1.
Look at how the MRO flip flops, how the umpiring changes game to game - supposedly run by rational human beings.
But it totally responds to popular sympathies and antipathies.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back