List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

So he acknowledges that what Bassett said about inequities is correct, great job, 100% well done Bevo. That's when you should stop talking...

Saying the Dogs are too scared, proud or 'other' to stand up for what is right in an unjust system is just weak. Grin and bear it is his message... guess what, those tough words don't inspire me....

Having said that, Wallis, Croft, Darcy, JUH, Libba, Cordy x2, Hunter, Khamis, they have had a bit of a leg up.

BUT what other reason would he have to downplay this... oh that's right. There's another West and Darcy on the horizon, and Cooneys son is meant to be a gun. In fact, they have a plethora of future father sons who are in an academy of sorts and this is but a few of them...

View attachment 2130564
Beautiful summary of the situation from a few posters.

“Our shared message is that we’re all obliged to prepare physically and mentally in order to confront the ever increasing challenges the evenness of the competition throws at all of us, and to make light work of the inequities that exist in the competition, and not complain about them; We never do.”

4 out of 22 2016 premiership Bulldogs players were father son selections; Hunter, Liberatore, Wallis and Cordy, each one drafted with rubbish picks. Since then they've added 3 more top 20 ranked FS selections West, Darcy and Croft again for rubbish picks instead of the FRDP that they would have cost on the open market, and had a pick 1 ranked "academy player" come to them for peanuts, despite playing finals that year and JUH growing up in SW Victoria and only being in the WB academy for a couple of years. And just look at the upcoming scrum of Bulldog pups that will find their way West for the price of a cup of coffee

Why would anyone who has benefitted that much from the "inequities that exist in the competition" complain about them? Just sit back and enjoy your privilege Bevo, we'll take things from here old boy. You just concentrate on actually winning something and not crumbling again.

I've been teaching my 12 year old son to play bass. I'd just had a cool little jam with him and was feeling pretty zen when I read that. I'm a little disappointed with myself to be honest. Thanks for stepping in and giving it the treatment it deserved mate. :)
Wouldn't be able to call myself Tom Joad if I wasn't here to give a helping hand to those in need. Especially when it's in aid of spending quality time jamming with your boy. Nice one 👍
I'll rant for you all...when you are not in a position, want, need, or place to rant
😎

Last edited:
I am 100% confident that we will get Band 1 compo for Battle.

But IF we don't, I don't want to hear ANY bullshit from the AFL or media about how it was "really close" or "line ball" like they did when JDG said no or when Gresh got band 2 or when Battle decided to go.

**** your line ball, **** it all the way to hell. If it's band 2 it's band 2 no lineball about it and lying and saying it was is just a smartarse way of tiptoeing around you ****ing us over and smiling in our face.

If Hawthorn have ****ed us over on this with their shitty Battle contract, I declare an open war on them and call all Saints fans to make their existence as painful as possible, at games, at Dingley, wherever. They have profited from us long enough.

Herald Sun reporting…

Josh Battle

Landing: Hawthorn

Battle’s exit from St Kilda has become relatively messy, with the defender being told to stay away from the best and fairest count, only to finish third but receive no mention from the club. Hawthorn has offered a six-year deal worth about $900,000 per season, which should net a top-10 pick for the Saints.

Projected compensation: Mid 1st round pick – No. 8

Tim Membrey

Landing: TBC

His name has been floated as one that could test the market, with plenty of sides that are in need of a mature-aged key forward. If Joe Daniher decides to retire, Brisbane would be at the front of the queue, while Essendon is eager to add help after Peter Wright’s inconsistent season. He could command a decent deal, albeit short term, despite being 30 years old.

Projected compensation: 3rd round pick – No. 46

Adam Tomlinson

Tomlinson couldn’t find a home inside Melbourne’s best 22 this year despite the team’s struggles, and is expected to leave the club for greener pastures. He’s an unrestricted free agent and can freely move to a third club, but he hasn’t nominated a team yet. St Kilda and Collingwood are both expected to be in the frame for the utility.

Projected compensation: Nil

Bored Wait GIF by FirstAndMonday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun reporting…

Josh Battle

Battle’s exit from St Kilda has become relatively messy, with the defender being told to stay away from the best and fairest count, only to finish third but receive no mention from the club. Hawthorn has offered a six-year deal worth about $900,000 per season, which should net a top-10 pick for the Saints.

Tim Membrey

His name has been floated as one that could test the market, with plenty of sides that are in need of a mature-aged key forward. If Joe Daniher decides to retire, Brisbane would be at the front of the queue, while Essendon is eager to add help after Peter Wright’s inconsistent season. He could command a decent deal, albeit short term, despite being 30 years old.

Adam Tomlinson

Tomlinson couldn’t find a home inside Melbourne’s best 22 this year despite the team’s struggles, and is expected to leave the club for greener pastures. He’s an unrestricted free agent and can freely move to a third club, but he hasn’t nominated a team yet. St Kilda and Collingwood are both expected to be in the frame for the utility.

Let’s ****ing go. Let’s be honest. If we get band one all is forgiven with battle

Herald Sun reporting…

Josh Battle

Tim Membrey

Adam Tomlinson

That's promising.... Who wrote that?

Andrew Plympton was a great Prez....always fighting the fight.

IMO.......the only blemish on his great record which wasn't his fault,were the financials put foward to us going from Waverly Park to Marvel.

They looked initially like "rivers of bucks" which made the move to the "shiny new stadium" look a no brainer although we really had no choice........the Hawks stayed at Waverly Park and bought the joint for $1(that may need a fact check...lol)

Turned out once we'd moved, that all the figures(revenue from food/beverage sales/reserved seats/break even crowds required etc) given to the board were completely wrong.

Things went pear shaped very quickly with us winning the spoon in that first year at Marvel.

The dark years had begun.

Rod Butterss was great at the start of his reign.......until the Mexican Marching Powder got a hold of him when the booze already had a grip of him.

From what I've been told,he was a really great guy despite his issues.

Rod was forever screaming from the roof tops about the completely unfair stadium agreement and the break even crowd numbers needed.

As above....we signed the deal....but with incorrect information.

And....here are......AB is now fighting the fight.

I used to chat with APs mum. The Hawks back stabbed us according to her. We turned down the bucks to move to Docklands because the Hawks were talking about taking over Waverley and we were going to share costs and upkeep on it. Hawks went and signed a deal for the G behind our backs leaving us with full exposure or going cap in hand to the AFL who said that our initial anchor tenant deal was gone and we had to take the scraps.

The AFL then gave the Hawks VFL park for $1 or something ridiculous and helped them set up their training centre there.

They've had an enormous leg up no doubt, but credit to them, they manage their list very well.

The AFL set them up as a talent factory knowing that they'd be able to trade out for high picks. They probably need some consistent success to start retaining more than they lose now. They still feel like a waste of talent at the moment. They have been underachieving for a long time.

Denver Grainger-Barras still hasn’t been offered a contract. Key defender, former pick 6. Still only 22 but clearly out of favour at the Hawks. Worth a list spot?

He seems like a bust but probably worth looking at to see what the issues are. Perhaps he's a Lyon simple role type.

I reckon Bassat has made a huge misstep with his speech. He has handed the AFL the opportunity to **** us with compo. It will be a very popular public fisting, and no-one will back us up whatsoever.
The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Eddie used to pi** and moan all the time to get Collingwood a leg up, worked every time.

About time someone at our club took a stand.

I used to chat with APs mum. The Hawks back stabbed us according to her. We turned down the bucks to move to Docklands because the Hawks were talking about taking over Waverley and we were going to share costs and upkeep on it. Hawks went and signed a deal for the G behind our backs leaving us with full exposure or going cap in hand to the AFL who said that our initial anchor tenant deal was gone and we had to take the scraps.

The AFL then gave the Hawks VFL park for $1 or something ridiculous and helped them set up their training centre there.
Here's the whole sorry tale of what might have been. We stuffed up some things but the Hawks were handed some things on a platter.

If its paywalled - let me know I'll paste the whole article. Its a great article and is well worth a read.

"Under the terms of the deal, the oval and immediate surrounds were to remain for sporting purposes. Mirvac needed a club to occupy the oval. The Hawks, under the board of president Dicker, struck a deal that could be football's answer to Kerry Packer selling Channel Nine to Alan Bond – ie, it happens only once in a lifetime.

Hawthorn paid $1 and, in return, received the freehold on the entire oval and a portion of what is now the administrative buildings. Thus, the club gained millions of dollars of real estate – a freehold that gave the club serious assets on the balance sheet, a buffer for bad times and no rental costs – for nothing. The Hawks also bought the gymnasium at Waverley and receive a tidy return of about 8 per cent a year."

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back