List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

It not looking good for Pato. Delist?
Genuinely a super sad story there. Ben was tracking to be a 250 game stalwart but has never been the same since Roughead snapped his leg in the pre season. I wonder whether it's physical or physiological issues holding him back. He seems like a super tough character who wouldn't carry fear but on field he's just not as safe and assured as he was before.

I'd be fine if we give him another year but at this point it looks like poor old Pato is there for depth in case Jimmy and Stocker are unavailable

If Tigers get pick 6 for Rioli and 10 + 17 for Bolton the deal could be pick 2 = 6 + 10.

North would have picks 6 and 10 while Tigers have pick 2. North’s second pick is not in play as far as Essendon is concerned.

North draft a tall with 6 and have 10 to potentially draft another tall. Tigers draft mids with both 1 & 2.

Leaving Essendon only uncertain about what Melbourne and St Kilda may decide to do. Especially uncertain about St Kilda who have back-to-back picks immediately before their pick 9.

The question is, are Saints interested in reaching for Kako at pick 8? And if so, would Bombers believe it?

This reads like an episode synopsis of X Files or Twin Peaks. So many twists and turns. But also makes sense. **** it, Kako at 8 (probably 9 after Ashcroft) wouldn’t be that big of a stretch, blackmail the Bummers away Saints. 7, 8, 9 would be a sensual experience. Smillie, Reid, Draper, Langford. Two of those blokes could be available there. Seems like the chat is Lalor, O’Sullivan and Smith are gonna be gone in the top 3 or 4 as best on certainties.

Surely not. Mids, mids, mids and mids are what we need. Then after that, we need another mid. We have Butler, Higgins and Collard. I'd be stunned if we spent 7 or 8 on a small forward.
Hanners did an interesting list review on us the other day. Seems to have followed us pretty closely since he left.

He reckons we're a small forward short, although he thinks Collard is a special talent. Had a bit of a go at Higgins - said he's been great overall, but when the game is there to be won thinks he's too likely to miss a gettable shot. Quite capable of nailing an impossible shot to knock us back a couple of pegs in the draft, of course (that's my addition there, not Dan's).

My other issue with Higgins is that he plays like a mini full-forward too often, leaving us a small forward short when the ball comes to ground and taking space and attention away from guys who are more likely to mark it. He's pretty much undroppable, but it's a bit of a strange forward mix at times. And when he and Max both get their yips at the same time we're stuffed.

Hanners also made some other comment I couldn't quite catch re: mids. Seemed to say something like we should avoid taking a big guy who just racks up 30. I think he was suggesting we go for a smaller more skilful type - he mentioned the word hybrid if I recall. Maybe somebody else on here heard it more clearly.

What is there to disagree with? Crouch played one game.

How can he be considered in our best side - with no guarantee he can play?

You claim one minute we are good enough to push for top 4 and now your saying we could be bottom 4.

Here is the thing. If they have done the work and they rate a specific talent and can land him.

Back them in.

You can’t sit idle forever and expect to contend.

I agree that Crouch is not best 23 if he's not fit enough to play.
Also the other top 23 players are not best 23 if they are not fit enough to play.

Hanners did an interesting list review on us the other day. Seems to have followed us pretty closely since he left.
He reckons we're a small forward short, although he thinks Collard is a special talent. Had a bit of a go at Higgins - said he's been great overall, but when the game is there to be won thinks he's too likely to miss a gettable shot. Quite capable of nailing an impossible shot to knock us back a couple of pegs in the draft, of course (that's my addition there, not Dan's).

My other issue with Higgins is that he plays like a mini full-forward too often, leaving us a small forward short when the ball comes to ground and taking space and attention away from guys who are more likely to mark it. He's pretty much undroppable, but it's a bit of a strange forward mix at times. And when he and Max both get their yips at the same time we're stuffed.

Hanners also made some other comment I couldn't quite catch re: mids. Seemed to say something like we should avoid taking a big guy who just racks up 30. I think he was suggesting we go for a smaller more skilful type - he mentioned the word hybrid if I recall. Maybe somebody else on here heard it more clearly.
Did he watch our game against the Bloos?

Peter Ryan - The Age

The Bulldogs are also expected to drive a hard bargain with St Kilda for premiership midfielder Jack Macrae.
A source with knowledge of the negotiations, who would not be named to speak freely, said the Western Bulldogs were prepared to hold Macrae to his contract if the right deal can’t be found.
Macrae was on the fringes of selection in 2024 and ended up starting as a sub in the elimination final after being overlooked for James Harmes, who was playing his first match since round 12.
Macrae is contracted until 2027. An industry source, who preferred to remain anonymous while negotiations were under way, confirmed that the Saints were not keen to hand over pick 46 for the 30-year-old, who has battled for a permanent position in the Bulldogs’ midfield in the past two seasons.
Both clubs are expected to use historic examples of trades of contracted veterans to argue their case when it comes to the trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Ryan - The Age

The Bulldogs are also expected to drive a hard bargain with St Kilda for premiership midfielder Jack Macrae.
A source with knowledge of the negotiations, who would not be named to speak freely, said the Western Bulldogs were prepared to hold Macrae to his contract if the right deal can’t be found.
Macrae was on the fringes of selection in 2024 and ended up starting as a sub in the elimination final after being overlooked for James Harmes, who was playing his first match since round 12.
Macrae is contracted until 2027. An industry source, who preferred to remain anonymous while negotiations were under way, confirmed that the Saints were not keen to hand over pick 46 for the 30-year-old, who has battled for a permanent position in the Bulldogs’ midfield in the past two seasons.
Both clubs are expected to use historic examples of trades of contracted veterans to argue their case when it comes to the trade.

It all comes down to the balance of cash and picks surely? Wonder if we are pushing for "we'll pay his wage, here's a 4th rounder, otherwise cough up a portion of his wage and have our pick 46". It sounds like it's a pretty hefty contract.

I'm glad we didn't get Merrett on a long contract. Every chance of him transitioning during that period and that's a lot of coin to be paying an aflw player. Even if she might push for a b&f. Dodged a bullet I reckon.

Was it a real thing? Some media talking about 1.5M per year.

Peter Ryan - The Age

Might have to be a future 3rd so we can leverage differing opinions on predicting where we finish next year. Get Soldo done with 46 or a junk pick we can get from pick swaps

Geez would be a bold call by Norf to trade pick 2, I know they've indicated to the media they're open to it, but top 3 picks are rare. If Richmond can get pick 6 for Rioli + steak knives, then a Kako bid would be a decent chance. If they upgrade to pick 2 then yeah that's a stretch. Not sure if Norf would bid on Kako, they probably want an inside mid to come through with Wardlaw if LDU is a chance of leaving. McKercher is more a winger, Duursma a forward, Sheezel playing great off halfback. Makes you wonder why North are considering downgrading though, they get the pick of the draft outside of pick 1. Strange.

This years top two are not so outstanding compared to the other first rounders.
Also when they say they are open to trading, it means " we would trade pick 2 if you gave us a really really good deal, the kind of deal that would make your supporters throw up ".

Peter Ryan - The Age

Both clubs are expected to use historic examples of trades of contracted veterans to argue their case when it comes to the trtrade.
Hopefully just posturing. 46 seems fair enough to me.

Did he watch our game against the Bloos?
He was talking about gettable shots that he'd be expected to make (not sure if he mentioned set shots or not), not freakish efforts.

In today's footy he's not alone in that, with other players also switching between drop punts and cross body shots for simple kicks and looking silly when they miss. But I get his point, I wouldn't be letting Higgins kick a set shot to save my life. Would probably rather take it myself (unless it's outside 30, then I'm no chance these days).

I hope we get soldo, and for a fair price too.

Just feel like we’d walk a little bit taller with two rucks. We looked our best when Ryder was playing, god bless him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back