List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

We know what it is. We just don't know why. Why sign up 3 years you probably didn't need to sign up for? Unless King becomes a 70 goal forward, no one is going to be chasing him hard at age 29/30.

No one is chasing Hipwood, he's the walking embodiment of a potato. Tom Boyd was a terrible deal other than for 3 games.

It is jumping at shadows.

Just like Mac Andrew’s deal, Max’s is heavily optioned.

Hit a games target & the 2nd x 4 years kicks in.

Keeps him from ever hitting free agency so the club holds the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let this happen

Angry Comedy Central GIF by South Park

in this situation, how are Essendon committed to taking Kako? Let's say we did your deal. Lets say at pick 7 there is Kako and Smillie. What is to stop Bombers flipping it on us and taking Smillie?

Anything?
We have back to back picks. So they can’t.

That’s why it’s a dangerous threat.

Oh, ok. I had not seen that detail. So if he doesn't play enough games in the next 4 years the contract can be terminated in 2028. That makes more sense. Not much but some.

in this situation, how are Essendon committed to taking Kako? Let's say we did your deal. Lets say at pick 7 there is Kako and Smillie. What is to stop Bombers flipping it on us and taking Smillie?

Anything?
They aren't, they would pick Smillie.
Just like GWS would pick Leake last year, over Wilson. The intent is to get some return in letting them move up in front of the Kako bid, isn't that what all of this is about?

There is zero incentive for Essendon to give us Pick 9 right now. Zero.

They could just as easily trade out their Pick 10 with someone else on draft night once we bid on Kako, move the pick to a Future First and get points back, to deal with the situation. This is what every team has done in a similar situation historically (see Freo, with the SOS bid on Henry).

In the end, if Dons are going to trade up to get in front of the Kako bid, then it won't be with us. They will want to jump up high if possible, offer up both firsts for a single one this year.

If it ends up being us, then I think the above scenario I have mentioned is all we could reasonably accept.

Why would Essendon trade pick 9 for a future first?

Across 2024-25 drafts they hold 2 first round picks
2024 - Kako (will most definitely go FR)
2025 - 1 x first round pick

If they trade the Kako first round pick for a 2025 first round pick they then have 3 first round picks
2024 - Kako
2025 - 2 x first round picks

It’s in their interest to trade out of this years first round into next years first round if Kako will be bid on before pick 9. It means they increase their first round pick hand from 2 to 3 across the next 2 drafts.

SOS is totally manipulating the situation that could benefit both clubs.

We have back to back picks. So they can’t.

That’s why it’s a dangerous threat.
is that right? We give them 8, they give us 9. On draft night Smillie, Reid and Kako are there. We use 7 on Reid (or Smillie), Bombers use 8 to take Smillie (or Read).

How does that not work? Am I not seeing something?

Why would Essendon trade pick 9 for a future first?

Across 2024-25 drafts they hold 2 first round picks
2024 - Kako (will most definitely go FR)
2024 - 1 x first round pick

If they trade the Kako first round pick for a 2025 first round pick they then have 3 first round picks
2024 - Kako
2025 2 x first round picks

It’s on their interest to trade out of this years first round into next years first round if Kako will be bid in before pick 9.

SOS is totally manipulating the situation that could benefit both clubs.
The issue is they have two fifths of f*** all to give us to incentivise us going through with it.

Was this reported somewhere? I would agree this is likely but would be good to know for sure.

is that right? We give them 8, they give us 9. On draft night Smillie, Reid and Kako are there. We use 7 on Reid (or Smillie), Bombers use 8 to take Smillie (or Read).

No.

We have 7 + 8.

If we bid on Kako they would need to match and that would chew up 9.

So we would propose they trade us 9 for a future first and picks to give them points for Kako.

So they still get Kako and our first round pick for 2025.

We get picks 7+8+9 this year.

Hope 🆘 and co aren’t reading this.
Sit on 7&8 and only consider exchanging them if a deal too good to be true comes our way on draft night.
Under no circumstances not involving Harley Reid or Ben King should we even think about using our future first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is St Kilda we are talking about.

Unless King's management were somehow threatening to look elsewhere, it is hard to make any case for going beyond 2030. Really, not sure why they were looking beyond 2028/29 but let's give them the doubt. Why did they need to push to 8 years?

It just feels like Saints have set themselves up for a massive face palm. A lot has to go right to make this good list management.
yeah the st kilda that totally fkd up the battle compo and has zero space in our cap to offer FA's "life changing money"

If only we had that guy from collingwood that had to trade their best players for peanuts a year into the job

Maybe we should have a rule about not bringing back every sentence from Trade Radio. Purple and Morris are probably my most hated journos. slack jawed Johnson who only just realised that there is another team outside of Dogs and has zero clue about the free ride they have been given. Jenkins, far out. It’s grating.

No.

We have 7 + 8.

If we bid on Kako they would need to match and that would chew up 9.

So we would propose they trade us 9 for a future first and picks to give them points for Kako.

So they still get Kako and our first round pick for 2025.

We get picks 7+8+9 this year.
Yeah but it would also chew up our 2nd round pick which is also going to be a good pick. I just can't see it happening, it's in Essendons interest to move up in this draft, not shift to next year, especially with their poor raft of draft picks. They have planned this out poorly after last year's trade period.

Probably regret paying up for Caddy.

The incentive for us is to hit the super draft with three early picks and to expedite bringing in elite talent.
If we secured 7+8+9 it doesn't mean out pick trading is over and at that position in the first round is dead set bang in the middle of the action.

Trading of picks can happen from now up until live trading at the draft. If we had it we have enormous clout.

With SoS's record last year of getting Wilson and still getting a free second rounder (meaning Henry was free), with one middling frdp, imagine what he can conjure up wit 7,8 and 9?

They aren't, they would pick Smillie.
Just like GWS would pick Leake last year, over Wilson. The intent is to get some return in letting them move up in front of the Kako bid, isn't that what all of this is about?

There is zero incentive for Essendon to give us Pick 9 right now. Zero.

They could just as easily trade out their Pick 10 with someone else on draft night once we bid on Kako, move the pick to a Future First and get points back, to deal with the situation. This is what every team has done in a similar situation historically (see Freo, with the SOS bid on Henry).

In the end, if Dons are going to trade up to get in front of the Kako bid, then it won't be with us. They will want to jump up high if possible, offer up both firsts for a single one this year.

If it ends up being us, then I think the above scenario I have mentioned is all we could reasonably accept.
Correct. They don’t have to trade with us.

But p9 is on offer. It’s highly unlikely the clubs above this pick can offer similar pick value next year + points this year for the bid.
The issue is they have two fifths of f*** all to give us to incentivise us going through with it.
They only need to give us 9. That’s the incentive.

You are not seeing the fact that we are assuming that we have already bid on the player. Your scenario assumes that we are yet to bid on him

We will not do the swap until we bid on Kako

Therefore:
1. Bid on Kako
2. Bombers decide whether they match or not (which they will)
3. Bombers decide whether they want pick 9 to be absorbed or not (no)
4. Bombers trade their pick 9 for our F1, therefore no first rounder is absorbed
5. Bombers match the bid
6. We retain pick 8, and now also have pick 9

Yeah but it would also chew up our 2nd round pick which is also going to be a good pick. I just can't see it happening, it's in Essendons interest to move up in this draft, not shift to next year, especially with their poor raft of draft picks. They have planned this out poorly after last year's trade period.
They have no capital to move up or of value.

No one in the top 10 picks is trading down for a second rounder and Essendon won’t give us a future first and 9 for 7

Dont underestimate the intransigence and stupidity of Essendon. Dodoro is gone but the DNA remains.
Next years draft is hugely compromised by NGA's and FS and I think we will go better next year than this. We have to back ourselves that it will be a pick further out than 9.

They have to have 27 so they can match Kako. What comes back is anyone business.

What 7+8+9 does is open up endless possibilities, and I have confidence SOS can do better with more than what he did last year (3 spots down for a future 2nd and still got Wilson whom we wanted).
Even better, 1 spot! If we did happen to get 9, I’d be holding them all until draft night. Slide down as you need.

But we would have three high firsts with 9 possibly being split for say 15&16 from GWS meaning we would have 7+8+15+16.

or there can be a thousand different scenarios

Essendon have little draft capital, it would cost them to move up the order, where they get rewarded with a first rounder if trading with us.

Basically trade 9 or lose it on a matched bid.

Other clubs may not be willing to trade down to allow them to trade up given the status of this draft.

]" data-quote="Joffaboy" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Hanners gave him a drive by a bit earlier.

Said, 'this has been done to death. Has band only come in this year or something?'.

Obviously sick of the whinging.

Don’t mind Hannebery.

Speaks a lot of sense.

You would think that 9 + F1 for something like 6 + 24 from Richmond (after the Rioli trade) or 5 + 28 from Melbourne is probably a better deal for Essendon than what we could offer them. Would require Rich/Mel to probably be after a key position player in this draft though (maybe even North if they take that pick swap with Richmond that has been thrown around)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back