List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a lot of prominent regulars on here have regurgitated a lot of negative narratives about the club (with some justification), but if we end up with picks 7,8 & 9 going into this year's draft, and based on our drafting and overall list management performance of the past couple of years, would the consensus be that our management is finally operating as it should be in that area?

Seriously, I reckon the influx of young talent in the past couple of years is the best it has been in close to 20 years!

I don’t understand any of your thinking here.

This is a draft that EVERY club is trying to trade into and trade up to.

Any proposal that involves us trading back from 7 even for a future first - means we likely miss the last top end mid. For a future pick that will be in a draft significantly more compromised than this one.

We lose pick 27 but move our first round from next year into this draft that is now highly touted.

We can gain a second rounder by dropping 9 to 10 for example. But it isn’t a big deal.

Twomey literally said our 3 academy/Fs picks look like going 30+. Which means we should be able to land 2 or all 3 for ass end picks.
FOS has regressed. Lalor has soft tissue issues. Jagga no hurt factor. Langford too slow. Reid too small. Smillie too big. Draper can't kick. Lindsay too outside. Travaglia too frenetic. So on and so forth.

Obviously not all of these will be true but nothing is ever that certain at this stage of a career. The idea of a "last top end mid" is a groupthink furphy. The "top tier" was initially seen as a group of 4 mids + Trainor, then Lalor and Langford joined the conversation, then Reid, followed by Lindsay and Travaglia edging their way there, Armstrong as well, now Tauru has bolted into the frame, Kako nefariously being touted top 10, and some clubs rate guys like Allan up there as well.

In the reasonably nonexistent chance the Bombers agreed, turning down 9 + F1 for 7 would be negligent. It's really a one pick slide as we hold 8. We'd still be assured of 2 of the 9 players mentioned above (with Tauru also likely to be taken before our picks). Same if we did 9 + F2 for 8 which I think is more realistic.

7+8 is a great position to be in (particularly in this draft) and we should be using it to strengthen our draft and trade position for years to come, by dealing with clubs who are willing to pay significant overs to trade up. I just don't know why we would pay overs ourselves for another lotto ticket when we're one of the clubs that needs it the least.

I know a lot of prominent regulars on here have regurgitated a lot of negative narratives about the club (with some justification), but if we end up with picks 7,8 & 9 going into this year's draft, and based on our drafting and overall list management performance of the past couple of years, would the consensus be that our management is finally operating as it should be in that area?

Seriously, I reckon the influx of young talent in the past couple of years is the best it has been in close to 20 years!
If we trade a future first AND a second it's a sugar rush and everyone will be shitty this time next year

FOS has regressed. Lalor has soft tissue issues. Jagga no hurt factor. Langford too slow. Reid too small. Smillie too big. Draper can't kick. Lindsay too outside. Travaglia too frenetic. So on and so forth.

Obviously not all of these will be true but nothing is ever that certain at this stage of a career. The idea of a "last top end mid" is a groupthink furphy. The "top tier" was initially seen as a group of 4 mids + Trainor, then Lalor and Langford joined the conversation, then Reid, followed by Lindsay and Travaglia edging their way there, Armstrong as well, now Tauru has bolted into the frame, Kako nefariously being touted top 10, and some clubs rate guys like Allan up there as well.

In the reasonably nonexistent chance the Bombers agreed, turning down 9 + F1 for 7 would be negligent. It's really a one pick slide as we hold 8. We'd still be assured of 2 of the 9 players mentioned above (with Tauru also likely to be taken before our picks). Same if we did 9 + F2 for 8 which I think is more realistic.

7+8 is a great position to be in (particularly in this draft) and we should be using it to strengthen our draft and trade position for years to come, by dealing with clubs who are willing to pay significant overs to trade up. I just don't know why we would pay overs ourselves for another lotto ticket when we're one of the clubs that needs it the least.
We need the most lotto tickets.

If we take 3 top 10 picks in the live draft in a months time it takes away the concern of rising without enough top end youth.

It means 5 first round picks in the last 2 years.

Go after Balta LDU Rayner next season and if we land 2 it’s hard not to argue that we aren’t ready for a sustained crack.

Great post. Completely agree. No way we should be trading for pick 9 from the Injectors unless it's significantly weighted in our favour.

We need the most lotto tickets.

If we take 3 top 10 picks in the live draft in a months time it takes away the concern of rising without enough top end youth.

It means 5 first round picks in the last 2 years.

Go after Balta LDU Rayner next season and if we land 2 it’s hard not to argue that we aren’t ready for a sustained crack.
Yeah in theory. But that rationale is dependent on 7,8 and 9 becoming serious players. Clark and Coffield say hi. Sounds like a bit of a sugar rush to me. Would prefer to spread it over a couple of years. Unless trading for 9 has a significant advantage for us that's certain. And FA's next year. That's a maybe.

Great post. Completely agree. No way we should be trading for pick 9 from the Injectors unless it's significantly weighted in our favour.
In a heavily compromised draft that North and Richmond may have 2 picks before we even get 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely disagree. The reason this is seen as a super draft is because of those players pushing up into the top tier. Showing how much depth there is.

Trading 7 for 9 + F1 is a sackable offence IMO. We take 7 and 8 to the draft and pick at those picks OR we trade for 9 but not like that.

We will have a spread of draft picks taken over 3-6 years now (if you count King, Stocker, Henry) our age profile means this should be the last draft we go hard at before we are looking at FA and trade in for ready made talent.

Trade futures next year for players its go time 2026 - 2027 picks should be late late firsts so I don’t mind trading them.

In a heavily compromised draft that North and Richmond may have 2 picks before we even get 1.
Yeah I can see the attraction of 3 top ten picks. Sounds exciting to me as well. But not if we're giving up a future first and a second or something like that. Straight swap for a F1 okay then. That's not going to cut it though is it, coz Injectington want points for Kako.

Yeah I can see the attraction of 3 top ten picks. Sounds exciting to me as well. But not if we're giving up a future first and a second or something like that. Straight swap for a F1 okay then. That's not going to cut it though is it, coz Injectington want points for Kako.
We don’t have the list spaces to retain a second

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back