List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

FOS has regressed. Lalor has soft tissue issues. Jagga no hurt factor. Langford too slow. Reid too small. Smillie too big. Draper can't kick. Lindsay too outside. Travaglia too frenetic. So on and so forth.

Obviously not all of these will be true but nothing is ever that certain at this stage of a career. The idea of a "last top end mid" is a groupthink furphy. The "top tier" was initially seen as a group of 4 mids + Trainor, then Lalor and Langford joined the conversation, then Reid, followed by Lindsay and Travaglia edging their way there, Armstrong as well, now Tauru has bolted into the frame, Kako nefariously being touted top 10, and some clubs rate guys like Allan up there as well.

In the reasonably nonexistent chance the Bombers agreed, turning down 9 + F1 for 7 would be negligent. It's really a one pick slide as we hold 8. We'd still be assured of 2 of the 9 players mentioned above (with Tauru also likely to be taken before our picks). Same if we did 9 + F2 for 8 which I think is more realistic.

7+8 is a great position to be in (particularly in this draft) and we should be using it to strengthen our draft and trade position for years to come, by dealing with clubs who are willing to pay significant overs to trade up. I just don't know why we would pay overs ourselves for another lotto ticket when we're one of the clubs that needs it the least.
I think the benefit of trying to get 9 this year is that the club wants to compete with the senior players we have, If we can move our 1st next year which I expect would be around that mark regardless then we get a similar pick, a year earlier in what is a great draft.

if they then split the pick 9 or have someone in mind I see the benefit of another high pick this year to go with our already youthful list
next year the rules change and we will be able to trade picks up to 2 years in advance. It's risky as everything is but I can see the opportunity for the club to really supercharge our list

I doubt we get #31 back but who cares when we will have 3 picks in the top 10. Thats wet dreams stuff...

Wow on top of our NGA & FS haul, that would potentially adding 6 first 22 players in one draft.

Then include Macrae, Soldo for small change and Ethan Phillips as a SSP. Look out 2025 and beyond...

Would need to be Essendon F2 instead of 31, they'll need 31 for the Kako bid if they trade out of first round this year
Mentioned numerous times that they'll also have draft chips from the Stringer deal.

F1 & 27 for 9 & 31 throws the trade a little our way (value is approx pick 64 basing our future 1st as a pick 12).

I'd like to keep a 2nd this year just in case someone like Taj Hotton drifts.

Some people just don’t want success. We are crying out for for A grade talent and the potential for 3 top 10 picks in a super draft opens up and you don’t want to take it 🥲 if there is ever a time to risk a second round pick it this one. Our young talent is going to reach critical mass all at the same time it’s going to be glorious.

7 - Josh Smillie
8 - Murphy Reid
9 - Luke Trainor

Simon Dalrymple literally cannot mess up 3 top 10 picks in a super draft. Start engraving the 2026-8 premiership cups.

Completely disagree. The reason this is seen as a super draft is because of those players pushing up into the top tier. Showing how much depth there is.

Trading 7 for 9 + F1 is a sackable offence IMO. We take 7 and 8 to the draft and pick at those picks OR we trade for 9 but not like that.

We will have a spread of draft picks taken over 3-6 years now (if you count King, Stocker, Henry) our age profile means this should be the last draft we go hard at before we are looking at FA and trade in for ready made talent.

Trade futures next year for players its go time 2026 - 2027 picks should be late late firsts so I don’t mind trading them.
100%. Tauru, Travaglia, Armstrong, and Trainor are all off the board for us at pick 7. We must draft a midfielder with pick 7, that is a non-negotiable. To slide back a pick gives Essendon the option to pick a top 10 mid instead of us, which we cannot allow, particularly as we hold all the cards in the negotiation.

The proposal to the Dons is simple: either give us pick 9 for what we offer (within reason), or you can take Kako with it when we bid on him. Pretty simple

Yeah in theory. But that rationale is dependent on 7,8 and 9 becoming serious players. Clark and Coffield say hi. Sounds like a bit of a sugar rush to me. Would prefer to spread it over a couple of years. Unless trading for 9 has a significant advantage for us that's certain. And FA's next year. That's a maybe.
How can you call top ten draft picks a sugar rush!!! They are considered the very foundation stones of building a good team for sustained success!! A sugar rush is trading for middling players to avoid the depths of the ladder.......

Seriously, we are in the position to fast-track bringing in top-end junior talent and start putting development into them within a few weeks time! This is what everyone keeps leaving out when they make statements about "eggs in one basket," and "short-term sugar-rush", you cannot just plug these kids into the team from the draft and away you go, you also need time and games for most of them to mature physically and adapt to the game at the highest level.

If you want to be thinking about contending in 2026, then plugging the kids in this November gives you a much better shot than plugging them in in November 2025..........

And that doesn't even factor in how much more compromised next year's draft is, or the one after when Tassie comes into the picture.

Don't just look at this year's piece of the puzzle people, stand back and look at the 3-year block that starts from now......

3 years is when we are likely to start to see a significant exit of senior talent.....

Mentioned numerous times that they'll also have draft chips from the Stringer deal.

F1 & 27 for 9 & 31 throws the trade a little our way (value is approx pick 64 basing our future 1st as a pick 12).

I'd like to keep a 2nd this year just in case someone like Taj Hotton drifts.
Given the help we're giving Essendon to get the best possible path for their Kako bid, too bloody right it should be in our favour

Some people just don’t want success. We are crying out for for A grade talent and the potential for 3 top 10 picks in a super draft opens up and you don’t want to take it 🥲 if there is ever a time to risk a second round pick it this one. Our young talent is going to reach critical mass all at the same time it’s going to be glorious.

7 - Josh Smillie
8 - Murphy Reid
9 - Luke Trainor

Simon Dalrymple literally cannot mess up 3 top 10 picks in a super draft. Start engraving the 2026-8 premiership cups.
2 out of 3 aint bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure , but remind me why Gws would swap 15,16 for 9 ?
Seems way overs for 9
Because it has been reported that GWS want to move up in the draft! Who else is going to want to slide back? Most only have one pick. If we can get 9 from Essington, we are perfectly positioned to deal. GWS don't need lots of picks, they just want quality - they've had more first round picks in the past ten years than I've had hot dinners.

If we do happen to snag pick 9 will we mention how we have benefitted from the NGA system in getting Collard last year and another top ten pick in because of Kako this year? :D

We do just get handed the free gifts of others, but agitated until we were certain of Band 1 then using the AFL's own loopholes to basically force Essendon to trade out their pick 9 hopefully to us.

For sure , but remind me why Gws would swap 15,16 for 9 ?
Seems way overs for 9
I won't say it's a possibility cos I don't think 9 for 15,16 either, we'd have to add more, but GWS don't seem like they want bulk picks, they want high picks, what they gave up for Cadman was crazy, they might see value in that

Which is why we don't need to sweeten it with a second rounder.

I would, in order to get it done. They will be able to match the Kako bid and it is a means of getting this over the line.

But Essendon can flick us back a future pick to help our hand for next year.

I would, in order to get it done. They will be able to match the Kako bid and it is a means of getting this over the line.

But Essendon can flick us back a future pick to help our hand for next year.
You have to give to get a top 10 pick.

This is the time to burn that little bit extra in currency.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back