List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers have problems in trading-up.

Firstly, they have to find a club willing to do it. Unlikely Demons (5) or Tigers (6) will do it. The opportunity cost of sliding back to pick 9 is too high.

Secondly, even if Essendon do trade-up, they have to get ahead of the Kako bid. It sounds like Demons could potentially bid for Kako as early as pick 5. Imagine if Bombers traded-up to pick 6 and the bid came in at 5. They would be really stuffed.

Trading-up for Essendon is really risky and it burns their future trade capital.

I think Bombers will need to trade-out. But they need to find a club who will trade a F1 AND give them a pick(s) this year that they can use to match the Kako bid. Preferably this pick is before their pick 31 so they can still draft this year.

Tigers have picks this year but won’t trade-out a F1.

Demons may trade-out a F1 and has pick 28.

Saints may trade-out a F1 and has pick 27.

Adelaide may trade-out a F1 and has pick 45.

I doubt NM would trade-out a F1 and has pick 25.

If I was Essendon, and I was trading-out pick 9, I’d want a F1 to be as early as possible and the for the incoming pick this year to be as early as possible.

Saints seem to tick both boxes. But are Essendon rational enough to trade-out? Not sure.

Me hearing a plan which involves the saints coming out as the most logical winners

Schitts Creek Food GIF by CBC

Me hearing said plan hinges on essendon acting logically

Kids Reaction GIF by SHARE NOW

I think the benefit of trying to get 9 this year is that the club wants to compete with the senior players we have, If we can move our 1st next year which I expect would be around that mark regardless then we get a similar pick, a year earlier in what is a great draft.

if they then split the pick 9 or have someone in mind I see the benefit of another high pick this year to go with our already youthful list
next year the rules change and we will be able to trade picks up to 2 years in advance. It's risky as everything is but I can see the opportunity for the club to really supercharge our list
That makes sense and seems reasonable.

If we manage to get pick 9 from Bombers,
Maybe we could offer it to the Doggies for Bailey Smith and
Macrae?
It’s a better offer than Geelong can make and gives the Doggies a chance at a top ten draft pick.

Essendon will need some points for Kako and I’m sure they will also want to get another couple of players from this year’s draft.

Pick 9 and future second for pick 27 and future first is reasonable. Their future second will be pick 19!
If we get 9 + their F3

We would probably have to send F1, 27 + the earlier pick of 43 or the Membrey Compo.

(They would also get Membrey)

That would cover a bid at 11 if it was 27+43.

Essendon will need some points for Kako and I’m sure they will also want to get another couple of players from this year’s draft.

Pick 9 and future second for pick 27 and future first is reasonable. Their future second will be pick 19!
After FA, FS and NGA's it will be about 27.

Bickley just did ananalysis on TR of the Saints midfield.
Fair and reasonable. Nothing we on here already didn't know but was a good overall look at what we have and what we need.

Liked the kids but basically not oven ready, McCrae will help, need to use 7 and 8 on two different types of mids, a quick burst away mid and for Lyon's gameplan a mid with excellent disposal.
Loved Pou and reckons NAZ will be absolute beast.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="stavro#" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
We don’t have the list spaces to retain a second

Excellent point. Use it if it’s there to upgrade.

Pick is there for Macrae. If that falls over then we use it to match bids for our NGA lads.

After FA, FS and NGA's it will be about 27.

Bickley just did ananalysis on TR of the Saints midfield.
Fair and reasonable. Nothing we on here already didn't know but was a good overall look at what we have and what we need.

Liked the kids but basically not oven ready, McCrae will help, need to use 7 and 8 on two different types of mids, a quick burst away mid and for Lyon's gameplan a mid with excellent disposal.
Loved Pou and reckons NAZ will be absolute beast.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Honestly reckon we should do everything on draft night to move up to pick 2 if Lalor is on the board. He’s the point of difference in the midfield even if he plays 50/50 fwd/mid.

How can you call top ten draft picks a sugar rush!!! They are considered the very foundation stones of building a good team for sustained success!! A sugar rush is trading for middling players to avoid the depths of the ladder.......

Seriously, we are in the position to fast-track bringing in top-end junior talent and start putting development into them within a few weeks time! This is what everyone keeps leaving out when they make statements about "eggs in one basket," and "short-term sugar-rush", you cannot just plug these kids into the team from the draft and away you go, you also need time and games for most of them to mature physically and adapt to the game at the highest level.

If you want to be thinking about contending in 2026, then plugging the kids in this November gives you a much better shot than plugging them in in November 2025..........

And that doesn't even factor in how much more compromised next year's draft is, or the one after when Tassie comes into the picture.

Don't just look at this year's piece of the puzzle people, stand back and look at the 3-year block that starts from now......

3 years is when we are likely to start to see a significant exit of senior talent.....
Think our president said they wanted 4 years of drafting kids, and this was our 4th before hitting free agency ?

I could have misheard though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we manage to get pick 9 from Bombers,
Maybe we could offer it to the Doggies for Bailey Smith and
Macrae?
It’s a better offer than Geelong can make and gives the Doggies a chance at a top ten draft pick.
Smith is soft, bad for culture and is going to Geelong because of the "perks" they can offer outside of the salary cap.

I'd rather take a talented 18 year old who cares more about the footy he plays than how many followers he has on Instagram

This makes no sense to me.

We would in advanced be saying we are bidding
They can still trade picks after the bid is in before they match, and it ensures we're not bluffing. If we go through with it, they would have contingencies for pick swaps in place with other clubs, maybe including us

Only reason they have to trade beforehand is to trade up and get a pick well inside any bid

picks can be traded very close to the draft so it could be the trade is done after trade week

They can still trade picks after the bid is in before they match, and it ensures we're not bluffing. If we go through with it, they would have contingencies for pick swaps in place with other clubs, maybe including us

Only reason they have to trade beforehand is to trade up and get a pick well inside any bid
I’m well aware of when bids can be placed.

We can effectively get a deal done and make it official on the night.

But the premise that they will only trade if a bid comes is BS.

A bid is coming.

They won’t get some god father deal either.

It will be in the ball park of what we will propose.

picks can be traded very close to the draft so it could be the trade is done after trade week
Saints cover story should be that they rate him 7 without disclosing who else is on their draft list but a bid will depend on who is left on the board on draft night. Come draft night SOS to make a phone call stating we intend to take Kako as the 6 in front of Kako have been picked. This will create a believable story and the Dopers will be desperate and panicked into trading their pick 9 with us. We may even come out of it with an upgrade of later picks this year and next.

Saints cover story should be that they rate him 7 without disclosing who else is on their draft list but a bid will depend on who is left on the board on draft night. Come draft night SOS to make a phone call stating we intend to take Kako as the 6 in front of Kako have been picked. This will create a believable story and the Dopers will be desperate to trade their pick 9 with us. We may even come out of it with an upgrade of later picks.
Or we get a deal done in the trade period and they can spend a month working on trading our F1 back into this draft post bid for Kako

Bergman is pretty overrated for what he delivers, I feel. 9th in Port's b&f. His production isn't very high. Good solid player but wouldn't want to pay very much for him.
Bergman reminds me of Sinclair minus the elite disposal. A decent interceptor, but I think he has hit his ceiling now.

if we are trading away our F1 pick for the Dopers pick 9 then FA becomes huge for us next year.

There is a very a good reason why we have been posturing showing off our huge SC space to players like Weitering / Merrett / TDK / LDU in the last 18 months
Did i see Richards was a free agent as well? Is he worth a look?

If we jag 9.

It means the last 4 drafts - including this one. Would see the following first rounders + Academy/FS selections taken.

Nas
Pou
wilson
Collard
P7
P8
P9
Owens
Windy
Peckett
Cole
Hofmann